Story of shooting BEFORE the cellphone video showed up, "He took my tazer"

He'll walk. This country is fucked.
A country is fucked when people sympathize with those who resist arrest, run, and then get shot.

A country is fucked when failure to pay child support is just blown off routinely.
A country is fucked when the government's domestic murdering of citizens becomes a regular occurrence, and half the country's population cheers it on. :cool:

Regular occurrence ? Exaggerate much ?
It certainly doesn't surprise me anymore.

Will Obama get on TV and say he could have been my brother? Will this case get the attention that Mike Brown case received? It should,this is the cases people should be up in arms about,not the last two dog and pony shows.
We have a problem with some cops,it needs to be addressed.

There are certain cases that are better examples of abuse by police than others. Eric Garner and Michael Scott are far better examples than Michael Brown.

I've long supported the grand jury in the Michael Brown case. The evidence was ambiguous at best, or backed key elements of the officer's account.

2nd Degree implies malice aforethought as well. Just not planned. IIRC the difference is the planning part. Both imply malice, both imply pre-meditation, the First degree means there was planning. That's where the planting of the weapon comes in.

Either way the cop should go down for life.

Second Degree Murder is typically defined as followed:

1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion"; or
2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. -

See more at: Second Degree Murder Overview - FindLaw

Though we're arguing the color of deck chairs on the titanic with this case. We both agree this cop is fucked. And should be.

All I was able to see were the stills but man right from the get go this was a cold blooded killing.

I still can't believe what I saw.

And thank heavens whoever it was on the spot that took the video, God bless them for being there at the right time. Whoever it was is a hero in my books.

Has anyone seen this? First up the fairy tale.

"POLICE VERSION

Police officer Michael Slager said in a statement earlier this week that his encounter with Walter Scott began at around 9.30am on Saturday.

He said he pulled Scott's Mercedes over as a routine traffic stop for a broken brake light.

He said Scott then ran away into a vacant grassy lot where, at some point during the chase, the victim confronts Slager.

The officer then tried to use his Taser to subdue Scott, but claims the suspect grabbed the stun gun during the struggle, according to the statement.

According to police reports, Slager fired the stun gun, but it did not stop Scott.

At that point, the officer fired at Scott several times because he 'felt threatened,' Slager's statement said.

He added that his actions were in line with procedure.

Police then said Slager reported on his radio moments after the struggle: 'Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser.'

His department said the officers then performed CPR and delivered first aid to the victim. "

Then the nightmare that is truth.

WHAT THE VIDEO SHOWS

Slager’s account has been called into question after the video appears to show him shooting Scott in the back.

The footage begins in the vacant lot apparently moments after Slager fires his Taser.

Wires which administer the electrical current appear to be extending from Scott's body.

As Scott turns to run, Slager draws his pistol and, only when he is 15 to 20 feet away, starts to fire the first of the eight shots at his back.

The video shows Slager handcuffing Scott's lifeless body.

Footage then appears to show Slager jogging back to the point where the Taser fell to the ground, bringing it over to Scott's body around 30 feet away and dropping it next to him.

It is only after two-and-a-half minutes that Slager is seen placing his hand on Scott's neck in an apparent attempt to check his pulse.

A black colleague then arrives and puts on blue medical gloves before handling the body, but is not seen performing first aid.

They are joined by a third officer, who also does not appear to tend to the victim. "

Daily Mail is doing a great job reporting this. The stills are really good.

Walter Scott shot in the back FIVE TIMES by cop Michael Slager in Charleston Daily Mail Online

Attorney Officer who shot man Saturday believes he followed pro - WCIV-TV ABC News 4 - Charleston News Sports Weather
It wouldn't even matter if he had. He was running away and shot in the back. Cops are not f$cking judges, nor are they f$cking executioners. They don't get to pass summery judgement for stealing something.

The person who videotaped this, BTW, deserves a medal. They witnessed a murder by the police and preserved the evidence of it. Balls.

Will Obama get on TV and say he could have been my brother? Will this case get the attention that Mike Brown case received? It should,this is the cases people should be up in arms about,not the last two dog and pony shows.

There are certain cases that are better examples of abuse by police than others. Eric Garner and Michael Scott are far better examples than Michael Brown.

I've long supported the grand jury in the Michael Brown case. The evidence was ambiguous at best, or backed key elements of the officer's account.

Many still don't support the grand jury in the Brown Case. They still claim, despite witnesses having changed their stories, three forensic experts saying it didn't happen the way witnesses said it did, and plenty of other evidence, that Brown was a victim. He may have been but it was due to his own reckless and stupid behavior.

Wonder when the blacks in Charleston will violently riot to show how the violence in this case was wrong.

All I was able to see were the stills but man right from the get go this was a cold blooded killing.

This is one of those cases that really transcends political disagreement. Its just a horrible act.

A country is fucked when people sympathize with those who resist arrest, run, and then get shot.

A country is fucked when failure to pay child support is just blown off routinely.
A country is fucked when the government's domestic murdering of citizens becomes a regular occurrence, and half the country's population cheers it on. :cool:

We have tens of thousands of cops going about their job every day around the clock, and the percentage of outcomes like this as horendous as it is, is an extremely tiny percentage of the encounters.

Many still don't support the grand jury in the Brown Case. They still claim, despite witnesses having changed their stories, three forensic experts saying it didn't happen the way witnesses said it did, and plenty of other evidence, that Brown was a victim. He may have been but it was due to his own reckless and stupid behavior.

Wonder when the blacks in Charleston will violently riot to show how the violence in this case was wrong.

The evidence that the grand jury was given was ambiguous. It could be interpreted in different ways. I can wrap my head around the interpretations of those who think Brown was murdered. But the evidence supported the Officer's account as well. And that's built in reasonable doubt.

The fact that the DOJ report affirmed the same thing only underlines this conclusion.

If he was pulled over for a broken tail light then why were they on some grassy knoll? where was the car?

Hmmmmm
What would you do, if pulled over, your license checked, and it was found that there were outstanding warrants for your arrest?

Be honest.

I have been pulled over for tail-lights, and was glad I was informed.

Never had an outstanding warrant when it happened though.

I was brought up to support the kids I fathered.

Makes life so much easier.
I don't think so. IF this stuff is true, and he did lie about the tazer, which it looks like he did, then he will go to prison. The cop was wrong and he should go to jail. All the other cases ive seen previous to this, i.e. Brown, Garner, etc., the cop was in the right, but this one is different. Id say that makes it pretty fucking rare. In a nation our size, youd think you could find at least one example of this kind of stuff per day on youtube.

There is no epidemic of cop violence. Sure it happens, but its an inevitability. Whenever you have guys with guns in dangerous situations, there will be gun violence. Sometimes the violence will be illegal. The cops know this. They know if they break the rules, they go to prison. There are millions of cameras in the streets now, so they are playing with fire if they decide to execute people. Life in prison is a great deterrent, but its not like we have a choice, because thats the only deterrent weve got.

Whats the point with protests? What more do you expect to get? Should they make it a rule that only good guys are allowed to sign up? There are bad people in all walks of life. Do you really expect the police force to be any different? A small percentage will do bad stuff. No matter what you do, that will never change. Its human nature.

What's the point of protests?
Really? Ferguson protestors didn't put pressure on the powers that be to expose a problem and make change? They just had elections there yesterday.
It was the protests that led to a federal investigation that exposed the truth.
People shouldn't be upset and voice their concerns publically after such an event in their community?
I wonder what percentage turned out to vote yesterday?

Where is Stats when he is needed?

30%
Double the usual.
What's your point?
My point is, don't bitch if whitey doesn't elect the people you want.

Let's hope it is 60% next time.

The man was stopped for a broken tail light. Hardly a threat to anyone. Why was the tazer brought out? The man was shot in the back. He was not a threat to the cop. This was not a good shooting. The cop should be prosecuted for murder as the facts show right now.

It also appeared the police officer dropped a gun near the body. What was that all about?

He dropped a tazer near the body. When he reported the shooting the cop said that the suspect had taken his tazer and that's why he shot.

This cop is a piece of work.
The cop has been arrested, jailed and charged, the next step is a grand jury, and, if they indict, he gets a trial.

That just pisses the fuck out of liberals, almost as bad as conservatives spending their money as they see fit.

I can't believe anybody still thinks cops won't shoot your ass if you resist lawful arrest and run.

We have tens of thousands of cops going about their job every day around the clock, and the percentage of outcomes like this as horendous as it is, is an extremely tiny percentage of the encounters.
The man was stopped for a broken tail light. Hardly a threat to anyone. Why was the tazer brought out? The man was shot in the back. He was not a threat to the cop. This was not a good shooting. The cop should be prosecuted for murder as the facts show right now.

It also appeared the police officer dropped a gun near the body. What was that all about?

He dropped a tazer near the body. When he reported the shooting the cop said that the suspect had taken his tazer and that's why he shot.

This cop is a piece of work.
The cop has been arrested, jailed and charged, the next step is a grand jury, and, if they indict, he gets a trial.

That just pisses the fuck out of liberals, almost as bad as conservatives spending their money as they see fit.

Dude, I'm not the law. I'm just an observer. My personal opinion doesn't deny him any legal rights or due process. You can get off your fainting couch and wipe the running eye liner from your cheeks.

I can't believe anybody still thinks cops won't shoot your ass if you resist lawful arrest and run.
There is that pesky thing,being in mortal danger,you seem to think is irrelevant?rational people don't see it that way,you become a mortal risk then tough luck,if your not being killed is not exceptiable

And thank heavens whoever it was on the spot that took the video, God bless them for being there at the right time. Whoever it was is a hero in my books.

Has anyone seen this? First up the fairy tale.

"POLICE VERSION

Police officer Michael Slager said in a statement earlier this week that his encounter with Walter Scott began at around 9.30am on Saturday.

He said he pulled Scott's Mercedes over as a routine traffic stop for a broken brake light.

He said Scott then ran away into a vacant grassy lot where, at some point during the chase, the victim confronts Slager.

The officer then tried to use his Taser to subdue Scott, but claims the suspect grabbed the stun gun during the struggle, according to the statement.

According to police reports, Slager fired the stun gun, but it did not stop Scott.

At that point, the officer fired at Scott several times because he 'felt threatened,' Slager's statement said.

He added that his actions were in line with procedure.

Police then said Slager reported on his radio moments after the struggle: 'Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser.'

His department said the officers then performed CPR and delivered first aid to the victim. "

Then the nightmare that is truth.

WHAT THE VIDEO SHOWS

Slager’s account has been called into question after the video appears to show him shooting Scott in the back.

The footage begins in the vacant lot apparently moments after Slager fires his Taser.

Wires which administer the electrical current appear to be extending from Scott's body.

As Scott turns to run, Slager draws his pistol and, only when he is 15 to 20 feet away, starts to fire the first of the eight shots at his back.

The video shows Slager handcuffing Scott's lifeless body.

Footage then appears to show Slager jogging back to the point where the Taser fell to the ground, bringing it over to Scott's body around 30 feet away and dropping it next to him.

It is only after two-and-a-half minutes that Slager is seen placing his hand on Scott's neck in an apparent attempt to check his pulse.

A black colleague then arrives and puts on blue medical gloves before handling the body, but is not seen performing first aid.

They are joined by a third officer, who also does not appear to tend to the victim. "

Daily Mail is doing a great job reporting this. The stills are really good.

Walter Scott shot in the back FIVE TIMES by cop Michael Slager in Charleston Daily Mail Online

Is every cop supposed to just let suspects run away ? How would you propose to stop them ? Maybe throw a lasso around them, like a cowboy roping a steer ?

Fleeing felon rule - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

This is one of those cases that really transcends political disagreement. Its just a horrible act.
Upon WHAT do you base that statement ? Maybe it does NOT transcend political disagreement. I think I might be disagreeing with you (and a lot of other people).

2nd Degree implies malice aforethought as well. Just not planned. IIRC the difference is the planning part. Both imply malice, both imply pre-meditation, the First degree means there was planning. That's where the planting of the weapon comes in.

1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion"; or
2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. -

Though we're arguing the color of deck chairs on the titanic with this case. We both agree this cop is fucked. And should be.
Why should he be ? Isn't he within his rights to shoot a fleeing felon, as established by the SCOTUS case > Tennessee vs. Garner ?

Why should he be ? Isn't he within his rights to shoot a fleeing felon, as established by the SCOTUS case > Tennessee vs. Garner ?

Your own link answers your question. The felon must be posing an imminent threat. A man running away rather than being arrested for a broken taillight and a failure to pay child support does not pose an imminent threat, even it he resisted arrest and while doing so may have committed the felony offense of assaulting the officer attempting the arrest. All felonies do not pose immediate or even predictable imminent danger to the public.

Forum List

Back