ST's BP Rantings

Oh, seriously.... can you be more moronic? My moral grounding is based on having factual evidence before I decide what my opinion is. Unlike you, you drooling moron.

As I've stated before, its factually true that BP attempted to buyout Alabama fisherman for a pittance. I have no idea why you insist on waiting for facts that we already have.

Yes, I read about this too.

Oil Slick's Projected Path

A poor sound system muffled BP spokesperson Ruth Rendon's attempts to announce a phone number that those affected by the disaster could call to make a claim for $5,000 or more which, if approved by BP, could be mailed within a week.

But people like Charles Graham, a commercial fisherman, said what he could hear didn't satisfy him.

"Five thousand dollars isn't enough," he said. "What am I going to do at 63 years old?"

Graham said that after Hurricane Katrina, it took more than six months for him to receive any compensation from the government. "Who's gonna pay my truck and boat notes months from now once my credit's ruined? We're not looking for handouts, we just want to keep my crews working."

Rendon also gave a number for people to offer their labor, boats and equipment in the cleanup effort.

That angered Ben Harvard. "They should have called on us in the beginning to help. There's thousands of us already set up and ready to go. These are our waters, we know them. [The booms are] just flotation devices. We could've been putting them out immediately."

His anger was echoed by Maurice Ryan, who operates a bait shop on Dauphin Island. "All that money [paid to independent contractors to help clean up the oil] should go to local folks instead of out-of-towners."

The meeting ended abruptly with officials exiting through a guarded door, leaving the crowd frustrated that it was not allowed to ask any questions.

But just before the conclusion, Bayou La Batre Mayor Stanley Wright's boisterous voice could be heard telling the crowd: "Work with your organizations if you have them but don't sign anything BP gives you."

The federal government says there are nearly 2,000 people involved in the response effort, with additional resources being mobilized as needed.

The attorneys general from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas will meet Sunday in Mobile, Ala., to discus legal options, strategies and preparations for the spill.

Asked if the states may file lawsuits against BP and other firms, a spokeswoman for Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum said he is looking at all possibilities.

Lawyers for private plaintiffs including fishermen have filed at least 26 potential class action lawsuits so far.

BP Chairman Blames Failed Equipment For Oil Spill

Buddy Caldwell is actually going to do something other than interfering with the parental rights of New Yorkers? Amazing!

Oh, seriously.... can you be more moronic? My moral grounding is based on having factual evidence before I decide what my opinion is. Unlike you, you drooling moron.

As I've stated before, its factually true that BP attempted to buyout Alabama fisherman for a pittance. I have no idea why you insist on waiting for facts that we already have.

A poor sound system muffled BP spokesperson Ruth Rendon's attempts to announce a phone number that those affected by the disaster could call to make a claim for $5,000 or more which, if approved by BP, could be mailed within a week.

But people like Charles Graham, a commercial fisherman, said what he could hear didn't satisfy him.

"Five thousand dollars isn't enough," he said. "What am I going to do at 63 years old?"

Graham said that after Hurricane Katrina, it took more than six months for him to receive any compensation from the government. "Who's gonna pay my truck and boat notes months from now once my credit's ruined? We're not looking for handouts, we just want to keep my crews working."

Rendon also gave a number for people to offer their labor, boats and equipment in the cleanup effort.

That angered Ben Harvard. "They should have called on us in the beginning to help. There's thousands of us already set up and ready to go. These are our waters, we know them. [The booms are] just flotation devices. We could've been putting them out immediately."

His anger was echoed by Maurice Ryan, who operates a bait shop on Dauphin Island. "All that money [paid to independent contractors to help clean up the oil] should go to local folks instead of out-of-towners."

The meeting ended abruptly with officials exiting through a guarded door, leaving the crowd frustrated that it was not allowed to ask any questions.

But just before the conclusion, Bayou La Batre Mayor Stanley Wright's boisterous voice could be heard telling the crowd: "Work with your organizations if you have them but don't sign anything BP gives you."

The federal government says there are nearly 2,000 people involved in the response effort, with additional resources being mobilized as needed.

The attorneys general from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas will meet Sunday in Mobile, Ala., to discus legal options, strategies and preparations for the spill.

Asked if the states may file lawsuits against BP and other firms, a spokeswoman for Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum said he is looking at all possibilities.

Lawyers for private plaintiffs including fishermen have filed at least 26 potential class action lawsuits so far.

It really sounds more like one of those rumors that's spreads like wildfire before anyone knows the truth, since the BP rep probably made some general statement including the $5000 minimum and people misunderstood what he meant by what he said...?

do you guys even know what a settlement is? a settlement is virtually always a compromise by BOTH parties. if you want to settle/compromise for 5K now, instead of waiting for possible future monies, what is wrong with that? i have no doubt the letters inform them to seek independent counsel.
What factual evidence causes you to have no doubt?

you guys want to take choices away from people, this is how things should work and it actually streamlines the justice system.

Bitch to Alabama's ultra right wing conservative attorney general about it.

why...he is not posting on this board, you are

i don't care if yoiu believe me or not...you have no evidence to the contrary

It really sounds more like one of those rumors that's spreads like wildfire before anyone knows the truth, since the BP rep probably made some general statement including the $5000 minimum and people misunderstood what he meant by what he said...?

I assure you the Alabama Attorney General did not misunderstand what BP was doing.

do you guys even know what a settlement is? a settlement is virtually always a compromise by BOTH parties. if you want to settle/compromise for 5K now, instead of waiting for possible future monies, what is wrong with that? i have no doubt the letters inform them to seek independent counsel.

you guys want to take choices away from people, this is how things should work and it actually streamlines the justice system.

I'd like to see how far you get with a petroleum engineer in your fuel tank.

We will not run out of oil. I've been hearing that same BS my entire life, in the 80's they said we'd run out of oil in 15 years. Well we didn't.

"Estimates of the world's oil reserves have risen faster than production."

Oil is a nonrenewable resource. Every gallon of petroleum burned today is unavailable for use by future generations. Over the past 150 years, geologists and other scientists often have predicted that our oil reserves would run dry within a few years. When oil prices rise for an extended period, the news media fill with dire warnings that a crisis is upon us. Environmentalists argue that governments must develop new energy technologies that do not rely on fossil fuels. The facts contradict these harbingers of doom:

•World oil production continued to increase through the end of the 20th century.
•Prices of gasoline and other petroleum products, adjusted for inflation, are lower than they have been for most of the last 150 years.
•Estimates of the world's total endowment of oil have increased faster than oil has been taken from the ground.

How is this possible? We have not run out of oil because new technologies increase the amount of recoverable oil, and market prices - which signal scarcity - encourage new exploration and development. Rather than ending, the Oil Age has barely begun.

Are We Running Out of Oil? | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA

Then WHY has the price of oil risen so much if it is not in danger of being used up LL...if its supply is not in risk of being used up?

If oil were plentiful, then prices for it would not be so outrageous, you would think?

Unless, there is plenty of future oil, but it is NOT EASILY HAD.....or Cheaply Had.....it is going to get more and more expensive, with th newer, costly means of extraction?

And THIS could be AS DETRIMENTAL to business and people, as running out....?

Care

As other countries industrialize, the demand is much greater than it was 20 or more years ago, that's why the prices go up. We also haven't been allowed to build refineries in this country for about 30 years, so if the demand goes up, but the process of refining the oil remains the same, it causes a shortage and prices go up. It's not so much the oil supply, but the supply of oil refined into usable fuels.

sounds about right on the refineries and gasoline, but 2 things

- are you certain it really is not the refineries who DO NOT want more refineries because without them, it makes THEM more profitable due to the supply limitation and they are just HIDING BEHIND the environmentalist locals who try to stop them? they do have the money and lobbyists to get ANYTHING through congress IF they really want it imo.

-WHY would gasoline/refinery costs or limitations make the price PER BARREL OF CRUDE OIL triple in price? the refining in to gasoline should not affect the price of CRUDE, BUT SUPPLY issues would....OR EVEN fabricated supply issues would raise the price....

call me a cynic....:(

Yes. BP is offensive.

You aren't. Cali Girl shares your utter lack of moral grounding.

Using big font just makes you look an ass. Since I haven't seen what the offer entailed, I'm not gonna comment.

Personally, I wouldn't sign jack shit from BP or anyone else without consulting a lawyer.

We can start with all the petroleum engineers. They're full of so many fat lies they will probably burn for decades.

BTW, what's your plan for when oil runs out?

I'd like to see how far you get with a petroleum engineer in your fuel tank.

We will not run out of oil. I've been hearing that same BS my entire life, in the 80's they said we'd run out of oil in 15 years. Well we didn't.

"Estimates of the world's oil reserves have risen faster than production."

Oil is a nonrenewable resource. Every gallon of petroleum burned today is unavailable for use by future generations. Over the past 150 years, geologists and other scientists often have predicted that our oil reserves would run dry within a few years. When oil prices rise for an extended period, the news media fill with dire warnings that a crisis is upon us. Environmentalists argue that governments must develop new energy technologies that do not rely on fossil fuels. The facts contradict these harbingers of doom:

•World oil production continued to increase through the end of the 20th century.
•Prices of gasoline and other petroleum products, adjusted for inflation, are lower than they have been for most of the last 150 years.
•Estimates of the world's total endowment of oil have increased faster than oil has been taken from the ground.

How is this possible? We have not run out of oil because new technologies increase the amount of recoverable oil, and market prices - which signal scarcity - encourage new exploration and development. Rather than ending, the Oil Age has barely begun.

Are We Running Out of Oil? | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA

Then WHY has the price of oil risen so much if it is not in danger of being used up LL...if its supply is not in risk of being used up?

If oil were plentiful, then prices for it would not be so outrageous, you would think?

Unless, there is plenty of future oil, but it is NOT EASILY HAD.....or Cheaply Had.....it is going to get more and more expensive, with th newer, costly means of extraction?

And THIS could be AS DETRIMENTAL to business and people, as running out....?

Care

I can't tell you why oil speculators do what they do. I do know that when oil demand comes closer to exceeding the production capacity, prices will go up. Couple that with wars or market forces like OPEC embargoes and you have rising gas prices.

In order to determine how long oil supply will last, one must first know how much oil the world holds. That's something no one can possibly answer. As a matter of fact there is a reasonable chance that completely new sources of recoverable oil deposits could be found. And what once was considered as “non-recoverable” oil now, might not be non-recoverable in the years to come, perhaps owing to some breakthrough technology or invention.

"Sources", not "source".

Solar, Wind, Nuclear, and Bloom Boxes. Electric Cars powered by charges from these sources sure would help.

Not buying Hummers and big-ass SUV's would also help.

How about the hundreds of thousands of gallons of jet fuel, thousands of man hours and multiple millions of dollars your asshole in chief has blown cruising around in Air Force One for all and any reason no matter how insignificant? Why does he remain in the 20th century? Why doesn't he join the rest of the world in the 21st and start utilizing technology in teleconferencing, why doesn't he stay in D.C. a little bit? I understand, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that beast of a wife either but..........

How would you suggest the President of the United States get around?

Where does he need to go and why?

Bloom Boxes for all large machinery. Bloom boxes use 1/2 as much fuel, and can use multiple sources, not just petroleum products.

The few remaining products that "ABSOLUTELY MUST" use oil will use such a relatively small amount of it that we will never need to do deep sea drilling again.

How Does the Bloom Box Energy Server Work? | Fast Company

First off there is no application for these devices to be used on any type of mobile transportation units. Secondly they cost $700,000 to $800,000 dollars. And lastly they still use fossil fuel.

from your own link:

• There are many different types of fuel cells. Some of the more popular ones include methanol fuel cells, hydrogen fuel cells, and zinc-air batteries. The Bloom Energy Server consists of solid oxide fuel cells, which are attractive because they can be made out of low-cost materials with high energy efficiencies.
  • The cells can run on a variety of fuels, including traditional fuel, natural gas, biomass gas, landfill gas, and ethanol.

Yes and your point is?

why are you yelling?

most states require such language, and if they are good lawyers, they will put it in because leaving it out can cause the entire agreement to be voidable. i suggest you stop freaking out.

Oil is a nonrenewable resource. Every gallon of petroleum burned today is unavailable for use by future generations.

I'm as optimistic about oil reserves being able to economically satisfy demand as the next guy, but not enough to say they will NEVER be depleted, or reduced to economic insignificance.

The fact is, that as you mysteriously admit, oil and frankly, to some extent every energy source is non renewable, (2nd Law of Thermodynamics).

why are you yelling?

most states require such language, and if they are good lawyers, they will put it in because leaving it out can cause the entire agreement to be voidable. i suggest you stop freaking out.

Is Alabama most states? Or are they Alabama?

Oil is a nonrenewable resource. Every gallon of petroleum burned today is unavailable for use by future generations.

I'm as optimistic about oil reserves being able to economically satisfy demand as the next guy, but not enough to say they will NEVER be depleted, or reduced to economic insignificance.

The fact is, that as you mysteriously admit, oil and frankly, to some extent every energy source is non renewable, (2nd Law of Thermodynamics).

Well the fact of the matter is, once I burn a gallon of gas, it's gone there is no renewing it. That's not to say that the earth isn't replenishing it's vast supply of fossil fuels as time goes by.

I get it. I just don't have any actual evidence that BP is doing anything underhand. When that actual, factual, hard evidence is provided - and I don't mean some fucking morons on tv - then I'll be concerned about the way BP are operating. Until then, I see no reason to have a hissy fit about the company, it's BP or the British.

BP already admitted they stripped the lawsuit Waiver and for those who already signed it, they won't hold them liable. Close your eyes tighter.

So we are supposed to be upset because they have withdrawn the evil offer to settle out of course because....?

If you look at my second post you'll see I defended BP's right to offer the 5K buyout.

why are you yelling?

Is Alabama most states? Or are they Alabama?

look, i don't care if you believe me or not, i am entitled to my own doubts or no doubts...i've you MY reasons why i have no doubt, if you don't accept them, i don't really care

. Yea, I'm sorry for those who are losing their livelihoods...

Uhh, no you aren't.

What the heck are you, BP's attorney? Exxon tied up litigation with the Alaska fishermen fucked for 20 years. Why do you think BP would be any different?

Just bear in mind the 29,000 that would be without their jobs if BP were not the company it is, also bear in mind the billions invested in the US by BP.

Why do you assume they'd not be able to find work without BP?

Who the fuck are you to decide whether I am sorry for the fishermen. Just because I prefer to wait and ascertain the FACTS, rather than having an hysterical rant based on media reports, doesn't put me on BPs "side". I just prefer to have facts to go on, not dumbassed suppositions.

Now, I am going to neg you for your fucking moronic comment. Next time, don't assume you know more about what I think than I do, you stupid fucking moron.

Horseshit. People like you keep your eyes closed to the facts you don't like and pretend you will address them but all you are doing is biding your time until the thread totally spirals into an ad hom orgy then you get to announce you are not going to be a part of what you helped create. That's a lot of work just to avoid facts.

Also, it's fuxxing hilarious you announce you will give neg reps. Do you really think that accomplishes anything? Do you believe if you pass out 10K neg reps that your self esteem will increase?

Address the facts bitch or stop whining.

Forum List

Back