Study: Free birth control leads to fewer abortions; Romney wants to cut access.

Rubbers were standard issue during world war 2 and the end of world war 1 to the military.... That certainly was tax payer's money funding it.

Tell you what, I will concede that the government should provide condoms to anyone that wants them, and I will even accept paying for them. But I refuse to pay for anything else related to birth control unless I get to say who you sleep with.
I don't think the government should provide birth control to any one who desires it, I believe if the woman or man is poor and needs them to plan her or his family, or for protection in the case of rubbers, then the government should find a way to provide them, under means testing parameters....and I do believe this will save the gvt long term and this is why they have had an interest in it...as they did with the Military men and providing them with condoms....it's not that they agree with the loose lifestyle, money is their concern imo.

most women on birth control are married while on birth control ...off and on.... for nearly 30- 40 years of their lives....not all are poor though, so the gvt would not be providing such for all of them.

So much for equal protection. Why limit access to taxpayer funded family planning to only the poor?

All the women you slept with were honest? How can you possibly know that? Are you psychic?

Didn't think so.

Well, there's always this crazy idea of maybe getting to know people before you sleep with them. Crazy concept, I know.

I would by that, if he didn't claim to be a sailor that had fun on port calls.

He is a she who is smart enough to know when I'm seeing a married woman. I also never claimed to have fun on port calls (not that kind anyway). I was in a relationship whenever I was deployed.

"Don't worry about it sweetie". "We fixed it so you won't get pregnant. Think about who benefits from taxpayer sponsored (temporary?) sterilization of America's young women.

This from The Associated Press.

-----------

WASHINGTON (AP) — Free birth control led to dramatically lower rates of abortions and teen births, a large study concludes. The findings were eagerly anticipated and come as a bitterly contested Obama administration policy is poised to offer similar coverage.
The project tracked more than 9,000 women in St. Louis, many of them poor or uninsured. They were given their choice of a range of contraceptive methods at no cost — from birth control pills to goof-proof options like the IUD or a matchstick-sized implant.

When price wasn't an issue, women flocked to the most effective contraceptives — the implanted options, which typically cost hundreds of dollars up-front to insert. These women experienced far fewer unintended pregnancies as a result, reported Dr. Jeffrey Peipert of Washington University in St. Louis in a study published Thursday.

The effect on teen pregnancy was striking: There were 6.3 births per 1,000 teenagers in the study. Compare that to a national rate of 34 births per 1,000 teens in 2010.
There also were substantially lower rates of abortion, when compared with women in the metro area and nationally: 4.4 to 7.5 abortions per 1,000 women in the study, compared with 13.4 to 17 abortions per 1,000 women overall in the St. Louis region, Peipert calculated. That's lower than the national rate, too, which is almost 20 abortions per 1,000 women.

One has to wonder why the Governor wants to cut off the primary source for low cost contraception to financially challenged women. From his website:

Eliminate Title X Family Planning Funding — Savings: $300 Million. Title X subsidizes family planning programs that benefit abortion groups like Planned Parenthood.

Associated Press | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

For $300M (or less than 1/3 the cost of a new destroyer the Navy is building), we could prevent a great many abortions, unwanted pregnancies, and help ensure women's health choices. The $300M spent now will be a lot less than building more schools, expanding entitlements, and building more prisons later on when the unwanted pregnancies are carried to term.

Also it should be noted that Title X money is not only provided to Planned Parenthood (no Title money is used for abortions by the way) but to public health departments across the nation; in red states as well as blue states. It is used to pay for everything from iron tablets to condoms to contraceptive foams and creams.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety and requires that you provide a link.

~Oddball

The word " free" should clue in the clueless. There is NOTHING free, someone has to pay for it.

Yes, we pay quite a bit for the unwanted pregnancies in the form of overcrowded class rooms, the cycles of poverty that kids often bring on through no fault of their own, etc.... All of that isn't free either.

So the question is do we pay a little now or a lot later on.

No, that's not the question as it has never been established that free birth control and legalized abortion does anything other than increase the welfare rolls.

-----------

One has to wonder why the Governor wants to cut off the primary source for low cost contraception to financially challenged women. From his website:

For $300M (or less than 1/3 the cost of a new destroyer the Navy is building), we could prevent a great many abortions, unwanted pregnancies, and help ensure women's health choices. The $300M spent now will be a lot less than building more schools, expanding entitlements, and building more prisons later on when the unwanted pregnancies are carried to term.

Also it should be noted that Title X money is not only provided to Planned Parenthood (no Title money is used for abortions by the way) but to public health departments across the nation; in red states as well as blue states. It is used to pay for everything from iron tablets to condoms to contraceptive foams and creams.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety and requires that you provide a link.

~Oddball

The word " free" should clue in the clueless. There is NOTHING free, someone has to pay for it.

Yes, we pay quite a bit for the unwanted pregnancies in the form of overcrowded class rooms, the cycles of poverty that kids often bring on through no fault of their own, etc.... All of that isn't free either.

How about letting people find out what responsibility is? A new concept for liberals to be sure.

Well, there's always this crazy idea of maybe getting to know people before you sleep with them. Crazy concept, I know.

He is a she who is smart enough to know when I'm seeing a married woman. I also never claimed to have fun on port calls (not that kind anyway). I was in a relationship whenever I was deployed.

So you are psychic, can you tell me what the lottery numbers will be for my birthday?

-----------

~Oddball

I thought Republicans were supposed to be the ones that hate babies.

That wasn't birth control, that was to protect to troops from disease. If that's the case, we should be handing out rubbers to these whiny sluts.

And I'll bet you are wondering why the GOP is having problems with women these days...

To tell the truth, what I want to know is why anyone thinks that women have a problem with Republicans.

Because Obama enjoys a double digit lead over the Weird Mormon Robot amongst women.

No, that's not the question as it has never been established that free birth control and legalized abortion does anything other than increase the welfare rolls.

Um, how does that work, exactly? If less babies are born, then that would mean there would be less on the welfare rolls, not more.

What increases welfare rolls is that for the last 30 years, business has been eliminating the good manufacturing jobs and replacing them with... well, minimum wage McJobs if we are lucky.

So you are psychic, can you tell me what the lottery numbers will be for my birthday?

Why do I have to be psychic to know I've never slept with a married woman? It would seem to me that your insistence that I have speaks volumes about you, not me.

If you are claiming that no one on your boat got an STD I will call you a liar.

Not while I was on it. I did have a student contract HIV when I was an instructor.

Liar.

Really? That's what you come up with, that I'm a liar?

To what end? What purpose would it serve? You do realize there were only about 100 people on my ship, not the hundreds that would deploy on a Navy ship.

I'm not a liar, but you definitely are a complete asshole.

Because there's no way that you could know that nobody had an std.

Therefore, when you state that you know that nobody had an std, you're lying.

The bottom line:

Liberal NOW hags for equal treatment demand everyone pay 9 bucks for their birth control- DEPENDING upon others.

Conservative women are independent and choose to be responsible for their own reproductive health.

End of story.

From as many people who get skin cancer, both men and women, shouldn't we really have tax payer provided free sunscreen? Only the rich buy Hawaiin Tropic or Coppertone. There are poor college students who have to face spring break buying their own sunscreen or get cancer. Don't we OWE them safety?

Actually, it's never been established that it increases the welfare roles.

Because there's no way that you could know that nobody had an std.

Therefore, when you state that you know that nobody had an std, you're lying.

Actually I could. As leading Chief of the Mess and as a Radioman who processed all communications from the ship, I knew a lot more about the crew than I ever cared to.

Forum List

Back