Study: Free birth control leads to fewer abortions; Romney wants to cut access.

It is a simple fact that almost half of all abortions are the result of no birth control being used during the sex which led to the unwanted pregnancy.

Clearly if more birth control methods were being used, there would be far less abortions. And if there were far less abortions, abortions would become far less socially acceptable responses to pregnancy.

But here's another thing we know. Providing someone access to birth control is not the same thing as someone actually using birth control.

The trick is figuring out how to get people to actually use it.

The St. Louis experiment succeeded so fantastically well because they pushed the women to use implants instead of the pill or condoms. They offered all possible methods, but really pushed the implants.

An implant solves the problem of getting people to consistently use birth control. Once implanted, they never have to think about it again. They don't have to remember to take the pill every day, or have a ready supply of condoms around, or run to the bathroom to put in a diaghram during the heat of the moment.

Implant and forget. It works. It had a dramatic impact on the number of abortions. And less abortions should be a cause for celebration for any pro-lifer.

So implants appear to be one very good facet of a solution to the abortion and single mother problem.

But this very obvious thing is going to be ignored by heated up pro-lifers for two reasons. First, the idea of a bunch of black people being free to hump to their hearts' content without fear of pregnancy just bothers some people.

Second, the idea of their money being taken from them by force and given to black people so they can hump to their hearts' content is really, really galling.

I must say, it galls me, too. Not the black thing, the forced to pay for it thing.

The squeamishness over sex will not be overcome and has a lot of irrationality to it.

However, the forced taxation to pay for it is a logical objection. You are going to make me pay for someone else's birth control, or you are going to make me pay for their unwanted babies' healthcare, food, clothing, and shelter.

In either case, we are being forced to pay for irresponsible behavior. If those who are behaving irresponsibly are not held accountable for their behavior and are able to extort support from others, then that encourages irresponsible behavior.

So we have a really good solution to the abortion problem. Implants.

But now we have a funding problem. Who should pay for it? Plainly the people who are using a service should be the one's to pay for it.

If they cannot afford it, then I believe the second best answer is for private funding. Billions of dollars are raised by private charities every year. There's no reason why George Clooney can't go on TV with big doe eyes and appeal to the public to please help, won't you? Strains of depressing music as scenes of little inner city black babies who could have been prevented with your donations. Hey, it's the Third World down here, so send a check!

That's the left's fear. Being honest about the situation on the ground.

That's why we can't meet in the middle.

Last edited:
So...they were all tested while on board and you viewed the results of all?

Yeah. You're a liar.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you never served. Since you never served you have no idea what I knew or didn't know (and I would know if any member of the crew tested positive for STDs), so you're calling me a liar just makes you look even more of an ass than ever...and I didn't think that was possible.

You seem young and unemployed. Have you considered military service?

:lol: Right? You don't spend 6 months on a boat with a few hundred people without everyone knowing the color of every shit that everyone's taken.

"Pushed the implants".

I love that babykillers are willing to sacrifice women on the altar of Dead Babies.

So...they were all tested while on board and you viewed the results of all?

Yeah. You're a liar.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you never served. Since you never served you have no idea what I knew or didn't know (and I would know if any member of the crew tested positive for STDs), so you're calling me a liar just makes you look even more of an ass than ever...and I didn't think that was possible.

You seem young and unemployed. Have you considered military service?

:lol: Right? You don't spend 6 months on a boat with a few hundred people without everyone knowing the color of every shit that everyone's taken.

Oh, so they did test and she was made aware of the results of every test?

She's a liar.

But so are you, so you make a likely pair.

This from The Associated Press.

-----------

WASHINGTON (AP) — Free birth control led to dramatically lower rates of abortions and teen births, a large study concludes. The findings were eagerly anticipated and come as a bitterly contested Obama administration policy is poised to offer similar coverage.
The project tracked more than 9,000 women in St. Louis, many of them poor or uninsured. They were given their choice of a range of contraceptive methods at no cost — from birth control pills to goof-proof options like the IUD or a matchstick-sized implant.

When price wasn't an issue, women flocked to the most effective contraceptives — the implanted options, which typically cost hundreds of dollars up-front to insert. These women experienced far fewer unintended pregnancies as a result, reported Dr. Jeffrey Peipert of Washington University in St. Louis in a study published Thursday.

The effect on teen pregnancy was striking: There were 6.3 births per 1,000 teenagers in the study. Compare that to a national rate of 34 births per 1,000 teens in 2010.
There also were substantially lower rates of abortion, when compared with women in the metro area and nationally: 4.4 to 7.5 abortions per 1,000 women in the study, compared with 13.4 to 17 abortions per 1,000 women overall in the St. Louis region, Peipert calculated. That's lower than the national rate, too, which is almost 20 abortions per 1,000 women.

One has to wonder why the Governor wants to cut off the primary source for low cost contraception to financially challenged women. From his website:

Eliminate Title X Family Planning Funding — Savings: $300 Million. Title X subsidizes family planning programs that benefit abortion groups like Planned Parenthood.

Associated Press | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

For $300M (or less than 1/3 the cost of a new destroyer the Navy is building), we could prevent a great many abortions, unwanted pregnancies, and help ensure women's health choices. The $300M spent now will be a lot less than building more schools, expanding entitlements, and building more prisons later on when the unwanted pregnancies are carried to term.

Also it should be noted that Title X money is not only provided to Planned Parenthood (no Title money is used for abortions by the way) but to public health departments across the nation; in red states as well as blue states. It is used to pay for everything from iron tablets to condoms to contraceptive foams and creams.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety and requires that you provide a link.

~Oddball

You assumptions are wrong.

The St. Louis study was a cost above and beyond current funding. And if current federal funding is $300 million, then to expand the St. Louis CHOICE experiment nationwide would cost billions of taxpayer dollars.

By the way, here's the study if anyone wants to read it beside me: Preventing Unintended Pregnancies by Providing No-Cost Contr... : Obstetrics & Gynecology

I don't think I ever sponsored expanding the $300M. I don't see the rationale in eliminating the providing of contraceptives if the goal is (stated by the Romney campaign) to starve funding for "abortion groups" since more pregnancies will lead to more abortions.

Sorry, Seawytch, but STDs have always been a problem in the military. That's why they show all those gross films in boot camp.

Sexually-Transmitted Diseases Rise Among Deployed Troops, In Line with Civilian Rates

Sexually-transmitted diseases are on the rise in troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a study which recommends more screening and health education.

Gonorrhea rates ranged from 5 per 100,000 deployed personnel in 2005 to 17.6 per 100,000 deployed personnel in 2008 and 2009. Despite the increase, the rates of gonorrhea in the deployed troops to Iraq were either lower than or not statistically different from U.S. rates reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Chlamydia rates were highest among those who deployed to Iraq and peaked in 2009 with a total rate of 246.3 per 100,000 deployed personnel with higher rates in women (770.9 per 100,000), than in men (192.6 per 100,000). According to the CDC, chlamydia is the most commonly reported STD in the U.S.

While the incidence rates in male troops were statistically lower than the U.S. rates of chlamydia, rates in troops have been increasing since 2006. For women, during and after 2007, the chlamydia rates among female troops approximated U.S. infection rates.

“Each year of the analysis reveals an increasing number of infections with more chlamydia than gonorrhea infections and more males than females being positive, in large part due to the small numbers of females deployed,” the study authors stated.

But if it is any consolation, that is evidence that heteros are just as dirty with STDs as gays! :lol:

A guy who I used to work with was on a carrier. I remembered him saying that he wore a green shirt on the flight deck. Not sure what that means.

Anyway...he had people working under him he said and his responsibility was to look in on these guys at curfew and such. All of this is 2nd hand so forgive any "holes" in my story. Well he was telling us about shipboard romances and he would be very lenient when he saw fraternization on the vessel. One of our other co-workers made a joke about how the report would sound:

"Seaman Johnson's semen was found on Seman Willis's blouse upon inspection of the seamen's quarters...." you get the picture. Which is why, it was explained, that he was so leanient.

"Pushed the implants".

I love that babykillers are willing to sacrifice women on the altar of Dead Babies.

Are you opposed to birth control?

If so, you are in a tiny minority, even among pro-lifers.

If not, then what is your problem?

I'm opposed to *pushing* implants onto poor women under the guise of "women's health" with no regard to their health whatever.

Your great social experiment has failed. Single parent households that you encouraged in the 70s-90s have spawned a huge welfare population, increased incidence of crime, abuse, and neglect, and STDs are raging through our schools, thanks to the "sexual revolution" and "sex education" which insists that children cannot control their sexual urges. Abortion numbers and unplanned pregnancies increased apace with the availability of free birth control for all, despite the lies that the pro-abortion bloc spreads claiming the exact opposite.

I'm opposed to *pushing* implants onto poor women under the guise of "women's health" with no regard to their health whatever.

What??

A woman tells her doctor she wants contraception so she doesn't get pregnant. He urgers her to get the implant because it can't be misused or forgotten, she gets it and she doesn't be pregnant.

How the hell is that a bad thing?

No one is forcing women to use birth control.

"
1. Increased risk of septic abortion, septicemia, septic shock and death in patients becoming pregnant with IUD in place.
2. Risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (highest within 20 days of insertion) which can lead to hysterectomy, tubo-ovarian abscesses, tubal damage and loss of future fertility.
3. Risk of uterine or cervical perforation causing abdominal adhesions, intestinal penetration, intestinal obstruction, abscess formation, or erosion of adjacent viscera.
4. Precipitation of Wilson’s disease in a patient bearing a copper IUD (a form of hepatic degeneration secondary to excess copper).
5. A pregnancy occurring in a woman with an IUD in place is more likely to be an ectopic pregnancy.
6. A baby conceived with an IUD in place is at increased risk of premature delivery and birth defects.
7. Abnormal uterine bleeding
8. Anemia (especially with copper IUD)
9. Vascular erosions in endometrium"

STOPP - Stop Planned Parenthood - Pushing abortifacient IUDs and implants on adolescents

"
With STDs at epidemic rates among teens, ACOG is encouraging IUD use for adolescents even though they are dangerous for those who currently or recently have had a sexually transmitted disease. They are painful and problematic for those who have never been pregnant—causing higher pain levels—and carry a whopping 20 percent spontaneous expulsion rate in teens. Planned Parenthood recommends them to teens because they are easy to hide. “t’s one of the most private methods of birth control. No one can tell you’re using it. There’s no packaging or other evidence that might embarrass you if found,” Planned Parenthood says on its Info for Teens website. Its teen website also recommends implants like Implanon as the most effective form of birth control."

"For teens, the IUD can be a good choice because it’s one of the most private methods of birth control. "

http://asktheexperts.plannedparenthood.org/?p=309

Last edited:
Last edited:
Your great social experiment has failed. Single parent households that you encouraged in the 70s-90s have spawned a huge welfare population, increased incidence of crime, abuse, and neglect, and STDs are raging through our schools, thanks to the "sexual revolution" and "sex education" which insists that children cannot control their sexual urges. Abortion numbers and unplanned pregnancies increased apace with the availability of free birth control for all, despite the lies that the pro-abortion bloc spreads claiming the exact opposite.

The study which is the subject of this thread, and to which I linked, resulted in far few abortions and unplanned pregnancies.

So your comment is irrelevant and based on emotion rather than an examination of the facts of the study. It almost seems like you don't want the abortion rate to go down, and will ignore any possible solutions which may go a long way toward bringing it down. Now that a method has been found which reduces abortions, your ignoring of it is suggestive that your real motivation is that you want people to stop having sex.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back