Study: Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides

I'm always interested in the saving lives. The NRA would love to get rid of waiting periods.

Really ... when did the NRA say that ... Or are you just making that up ... :dunno:

For 40 years, Wisconsin has required firearms dealers not to sell a handgun until 48 hours after a Wisconsin Department of Justice background check of the customer is completed.

In April, the National Rifle Association’s legal action institute said on its website that the law had become an unnecessary time tax on the handgun buyer and the dealer.

Wisconsin governor signs bill repealing handgun waiting period

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides, according to 45-year study

I wonder how many lives have been saved by someone using a gun to save their life, their loved ones or even a strangers life?

According to the Department of Justice under bill clinton, and the Centers for Disease Control under obama.....

DOJ: 1,500,000 times a year, guns are used by armed citizens to stop violent attacks.

CDC: 500,000- 3,000,000 times a year....

Thank you. I knew there a lot of instances, but hadn't realized the numbers were that high.

Then you will be interested in this too.....here are all of the studies....

Self defense with a gun......40 years of actual research...first is the name of the group that conducted the research, then the year, then the number of defensive gun uses and finally wether the research contained police or military defensive gun uses....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)

DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)

Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million ( the bill clinton study)

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

I'm always interested in the saving lives. The NRA would love to get rid of waiting periods.

Really ... when did the NRA say that ... Or are you just making that up ... :dunno:

For 40 years, Wisconsin has required firearms dealers not to sell a handgun until 48 hours after a Wisconsin Department of Justice background check of the customer is completed.

In April, the National Rifle Association’s legal action institute said on its website that the law had become an unnecessary time tax on the handgun buyer and the dealer.

Yep....and they are right. Criminals don't wait, and mass shooters plan their shootings 6 months to 2 years in advance......

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

OK, I'll make believe you thought this through before posting....So we don't need a ban on machine guns or bump stocks etc. etc., just a waiting period...what is the ideal waiting period? does the length of waiting time determine the number of lives saved? i.e. how much time per life saved?, if a study can show that "positive only" media coverage of guns saves lives should we ban negative media coverage of them? would you back such a ban under those circumstances?

It validates the importance of having them.
and proves the folly of banning guns, if a waiting period is the answer then banning automatic weapons is completely unnecessary...not to mention validating "positive only" coverage of guns.

I think Vegas made it clear why we should regulate automatic weapons.

Yep....and they are right. Criminals don't wait, and mass shooters plan their shootings 6 months to 2 years in advance......

How long is this waiting period? You know what? I haven't bought a handgun to date, owait, yeah, I bought a pistol from my friend but..

I remember going to the store and walking out with the gun I had bought. What a great feeling!

I still have it, too! Right around when I turned 18.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by someone using a gun to save their life, their loved ones or even a strangers life?

According to the Department of Justice under bill clinton, and the Centers for Disease Control under obama.....

DOJ: 1,500,000 times a year, guns are used by armed citizens to stop violent attacks.

Thank you. I knew there a lot of instances, but hadn't realized the numbers were that high.

Self defense with a gun......40 years of actual research...first is the name of the group that conducted the research, then the year, then the number of defensive gun uses and finally wether the research contained police or military defensive gun uses....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

--------------------

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..

If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

And that results in how many criminals arrested or dead?

With increasing concealed carry:

FBI: Violent crime increases for second straight year

OK, I'll make believe you thought this through before posting....So we don't need a ban on machine guns or bump stocks etc. etc., just a waiting period...what is the ideal waiting period? does the length of waiting time determine the number of lives saved? i.e. how much time per life saved?, if a study can show that "positive only" media coverage of guns saves lives should we ban negative media coverage of them? would you back such a ban under those circumstances?

and proves the folly of banning guns, if a waiting period is the answer then banning automatic weapons is completely unnecessary...not to mention validating "positive only" coverage of guns.

Newsflash, leftist derple lerple: automatic weapons are already highly regulated. Personally, I think to a greater extent than they should be. Thank the prohibition-era gangsters for that.

I think your article disproves that claim/post.

Since he didn't use an automatic weapon you have no point.

How long is this waiting period? You know what? I haven't bought a handgun to date, owait, yeah, I bought a pistol from my friend but..

I remember going to the store and walking out with the gun I had bought. What a great feeling!

The waiting period depends on the state ... 4 days here.
Don't know how long that will last though ... If other states are getting rid of it, we probably won't be far behind.
I live in an extremely firearm friendly state.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

And you are a troll, pushing lies...

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 16.3 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Hard Data, Hollow Protests

The reason for the current increase is what I have called the Ferguson Effect.

Cops are backing off of proactive policing in high-crime minority neighborhoods, and criminals are becoming emboldened.

Having been told incessantly by politicians, the media, and Black Lives Matter activists that they are bigoted for getting out of their cars and questioning someone loitering on a known drug corner at 2 AM, many officers are instead just driving by. Such stops are discretionary; cops don’t have to make them. And when political elites demonize the police for just such proactive policing, we shouldn’t be surprised when cops get the message and do less of it.

Seventy-two percent of the nation’s officers say that they and their colleagues are now less willing to stop and question suspicious persons, according to a Pew Research poll released in January. The reason is the persistent anti-cop climate.

Four studies came out in 2016 alone rebutting the charge that police shootings are racially biased. If there is a bias in police shootings, it works in favor of blacks and against whites. That truth has not stopped the ongoing demonization of the police—including, now, by many of the country’s ignorant professional athletes. The toll will be felt, as always, in the inner city, by the thousands of law-abiding people there who desperately want more police protection.

The study is crap......in that same time period, sprinkling pixie dust in the woods at midnight saved the exact same lives....

He fired at a rate similar to an automatic weapon. And look at all the dead.

Japan, South Korea have extreme gun control....they don't have waiting periods because they don't allow normal, law abiding people to own guns except for wealthy people in gun clubs.....

And their suicide rates are higher than ours....waiting periods do not save lives...

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

And you are a troll, pushing lies...

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 16.3 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Hard Data, Hollow Protests

The reason for the current increase is what I have called the Ferguson Effect.

Cops are backing off of proactive policing in high-crime minority neighborhoods, and criminals are becoming emboldened.

Having been told incessantly by politicians, the media, and Black Lives Matter activists that they are bigoted for getting out of their cars and questioning someone loitering on a known drug corner at 2 AM, many officers are instead just driving by. Such stops are discretionary; cops don’t have to make them. And when political elites demonize the police for just such proactive policing, we shouldn’t be surprised when cops get the message and do less of it.

Seventy-two percent of the nation’s officers say that they and their colleagues are now less willing to stop and question suspicious persons, according to a Pew Research poll released in January. The reason is the persistent anti-cop climate.

Four studies came out in 2016 alone rebutting the charge that police shootings are racially biased. If there is a bias in police shootings, it works in favor of blacks and against whites. That truth has not stopped the ongoing demonization of the police—including, now, by many of the country’s ignorant professional athletes. The toll will be felt, as always, in the inner city, by the thousands of law-abiding people there who desperately want more police protection.

Yes and when concealed carry grew the most:

The waiting period depends on the state ... 4 days here.
Don't know how long that will last though ... If other states are getting rid of it, we probably won't be far behind.
I live in an extremely firearm friendly state.

You call having to wait 4 days a "firearm-friendly" state? :uhoh3:

No, going to the pawn shop and walking out with the gun you bought in 1 hr is "firearm-friendly".

Anything over 1 day to wait is bullshit.

He used 2 rifles and murdered 58.

The guy in France used a truck and murdered 89.

Your point?

The study is crap......in that same time period, sprinkling pixie dust in the woods at midnight saved the exact same lives....

Says the guy who has been claiming more guns equals less crime:

And how does that prove banning automatic weapons would have changed vegas?

Forum List

Back