Study: Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains?

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn't want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain's reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network.

More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of "white matter" that connects the brain's hemispheres.

The researchers who conducted the study speculate that the orbital frontal cortex's greater level of "connectedness"--which is especially pronounced in people who started smoking pot early in life--may be the brain's way of compensating for the region's under-performing gray matter. Whether these "complex neuroadaptive processes" reverse themselves when marijuana use stops is an important unanswered question, they added.
Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains study says - LA Times
------------------------------------------------

This may explain how and why the obama administration considers his voting base idiots.

Last edited:
Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn't want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain's reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network.

More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of "white matter" that connects the brain's hemispheres.

The researchers who conducted the study speculate that the orbital frontal cortex's greater level of "connectedness"--which is especially pronounced in people who started smoking pot early in life--may be the brain's way of compensating for the region's under-performing gray matter. Whether these "complex neuroadaptive processes" reverse themselves when marijuana use stops is an important unanswered question, they added.

This may explain how and why the obama administration considers his voting base idiots.
I didn't start until I was 18, and in college.

I think that was 50 years ago, I got two BA's, and a Masters from UT Austin, and we all smoked dope between classes.

Today, I am retired, and still smoking dope.

I blame the media.

I saw an article on the Hell's Angels, and one of the slogans they had was, DOPE FOREVER, FOREVER LOADED.

Made sense to me, worked out quite well.

I've been smoking since 17, have college degrees, and owned my own business.I also have many mechanical trades and technical trades...My problem is I wore out my back not sitting on my azz...But I now have more time for my bong verses my rolling papers while working....

Last edited:
Comparing pot to water? See? That's what happens.
I bet too much water will kill you faster than too much weed. You want to see which one is more dangerous?

Strange but True Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill - Scientific American

"Earlier this year, a 28-year-old California woman died after competing in a radio station's on-air water-drinking contest. After downing some six liters of water in three hours in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" (Nintendo game console) contest, Jennifer Strange vomited, went home with a splitting headache, and died from so-called water intoxication."

To date no one has died from weed overdose.

Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains study says - LA Times

Hmm well someone must be slippin THC into the coffee at the RNC

"Experimental mice have been telling us this for years"

So exactly how long have you been having these conversations with small rodents??

I didn't start until I was 18, and in college.

I think that was 50 years ago, I got two BA's, and a Masters from UT Austin, and we all smoked dope between classes.

Today, I am retired, and still smoking dope.

I blame the media.

I saw an article on the Hell's Angels, and one of the slogans they had was, DOPE FOREVER, FOREVER LOADED.

Made sense to me, worked out quite well.

Actually that works for me too.....and what was the last big reason from the DEA for not smoking pot......because your dog might eat it!

A day without pot is a day without sunshine!

Comparing pot to water? See? That's what happens.
There is no case of a person smoking himself to death with weed.

Now, google "Woman dies in water drinking contest tragedy" and see what you come up with.

I typed in "Man dies from THC" and this is what I got

Google

Wow, what a bunch of mentally regressive crap.....not really anything new though. Hey, remember all that stuff about our kids being born with fish lips and fins!

Forum List

Back