Study: Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains?

I smoked for years. When I was high I was as dumb as a rock. Now that I quick ... I'm as smart as a whip.
"now that I quick"

LMAO, you burn't out old dope.

Light up, your dried out brain needs a lube job.

I've actually been considering it. I work across the street from a grow factory here in Colorado. When the wind is just right I almost get a contact high.

I smoked for years. When I was high I was as dumb as a rock. Now that I quick ... I'm as smart as a whip.
"now that I quick"

I've actually been considering it. I work across the street from a grow factory here in Colorado. When the wind is just right I almost get a contact high.
If it was not so cold I'd move to CO for the hash oil e-cigs.

Hoping GA legalizes soon.

In the meantime, "civil disobedience".

"now that I quick"

Between legal pot and text messaging Colorado roads have become literal danger zones.

"now that I quick"

Between legal pot and text messaging Colorado roads have become literal danger zones.
Don't blame the weed, texting a huge problem here, and no legal weed at all.

"now that I quick"

Weird you didnt factor in alcohol. I would bet there were more DUI's due to alcohol than weed.

"now that I quick"

Weird you didnt factor in alcohol. I would bet there were more DUI's due to alcohol than weed.

Alcohol is a constant that we can all predict will happen routinely. Texting is a fairly new phenomenon that has adversely impacted the roads. I see people texting ALL the time and they're idiots when they do. Legal pot has given the general public the idea that smoking is okay under any conditions.

Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn't want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain's reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network.

More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of "white matter" that connects the brain's hemispheres.

The researchers who conducted the study speculate that the orbital frontal cortex's greater level of "connectedness"--which is especially pronounced in people who started smoking pot early in life--may be the brain's way of compensating for the region's under-performing gray matter. Whether these "complex neuroadaptive processes" reverse themselves when marijuana use stops is an important unanswered question, they added.
Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains study says - LA Times

The part you left out from the article:

Even now, however, the authors of the study acknowledge that they cannot discern whether a pot smoker's smaller orbital frontal cortex is the cause or the result of chronic marijuana use. A 2012 study found that subjects with a smaller orbital frontal cortex at age 12 were more likely to start using marijuana by age 16, suggesting that deficits in this crucial region may predispose one to substance-abuse behaviors.

So a person choosing to start pot use may be an indicator that the person is stupid.

I've always known this even without a study.

"now that I quick"

Alcohol is a constant that we can all predict will happen routinely. Texting is a fairly new phenomenon that has adversely impacted the roads. I see people texting ALL the time and they're idiots when they do. Legal pot has given the general public the idea that smoking is okay under any conditions.

I know you really thought you were making a point but that made no sense whatsoever. Its against the law to drive under the influence of anything. Alcohol is legal so I guess you are saying that people think drinking is ok under any conditions?

Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn't want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain's reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network.

More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of "white matter" that connects the brain's hemispheres.

The researchers who conducted the study speculate that the orbital frontal cortex's greater level of "connectedness"--which is especially pronounced in people who started smoking pot early in life--may be the brain's way of compensating for the region's under-performing gray matter. Whether these "complex neuroadaptive processes" reverse themselves when marijuana use stops is an important unanswered question, they added.
Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains study says - LA Times

The part you left out from the article:

Even now, however, the authors of the study acknowledge that they cannot discern whether a pot smoker's smaller orbital frontal cortex is the cause or the result of chronic marijuana use. A 2012 study found that subjects with a smaller orbital frontal cortex at age 12 were more likely to start using marijuana by age 16, suggesting that deficits in this crucial region may predispose one to substance-abuse behaviors.

So a person choosing to start pot use may be an indicator that the person is stupid.

I've always known this even without a study.
Thats only if you dont understand the large difference between starting to use a substance and substance abuse.

"now that I quick"

Colorado law is very specific.

All pot leaves the store in sealed containers, and containers cannot legally be within reach of the driver.

"now that I quick"

And now that pot has been legalized in my state (Oregon) we'll be seeing that here as well.

"now that I quick"

Two, different

I know you really thought you were making a point but that made no sense whatsoever. Its against the law to drive under the influence of anything. Alcohol is legal so I guess you are saying that people think drinking is ok under any conditions?

Oh my God. You really are "challenged." We know that it's against the law to drive drunk. We also know that many folks ignore that law and drive drunk anyway. That's a constant and that's a given. The percentage of folks who drive drunk is pretty much the same as it's been for years and years. However, the proponents of pot use routinely state that it's "much safer" to drive under the influence of pot and now that it has been legalized in my State I see more and more use from drivers who share the freeway during rush hour. When pot was "legalized" it was legitimized. I'm now seeing folks smoking while standing at the bus stop and they don't even try to hide it. Therefore, the dangers of public pot use has increased as a result of it's legalization. Got it now?

"now that I quick"

Two, different

Oh my God. You really are "challenged." We know that it's against the law to drive drunk. We also know that many folks ignore that law and drive drunk anyway. That's a constant and that's a given. The percentage of folks who drive drunk is pretty much the same as it's been for years and years. However, the proponents of pot use routinely state that it's "much safer" to drive under the influence of pot and now that it has been legalized in my State I see more and more use from drivers who share the freeway during rush hour. When pot was "legalized" it was legitimized. I'm now seeing folks smoking while standing at the bus stop and they don't even try to hide it. Therefore, the dangers of public pot use has increased as a result of it's legalization. Got it now?

Your premise is the thing thats challenged. I havent heard the argument that it was "much safer" to drive under the influence of weed. That doesnt even make sense. "Much safer" than what? What does someone standing by a bus stop smoking weed have to do with public safety? Your argument is puerile and very unfocused..

Last edited:
"now that I quick"

And now that pot has been legalized in my state (Oregon) we'll be seeing that here as well.
so why are all these stories coming out of Colorado?......i dont see any stories out of Wash....what is different?.....

Two, different

Your premise is the thing thats challenged. I havent heard the argument that it was "much safer" to drive under the influence of weed. That doesnt even make sense. "Much safer" than what? What does someone standing by a bus stop smoking weed have to do with public safety? Your argument is puerile and very unfocused..

You obviously haven't dealt with Colorado pot smokers. I've spoken with MANY (including the owner of the pot house across the street) who swear that pot "enhances" their thought processes and that they are "better" at doing normal, basic chores or activities under the influence. Having had plenty of personal experience I can state that they're full of crap. But that doesn't change the fact that proponents believe it.

When I drive stoned, I drive slow. I'm just not in a big hurry, and if a guy wants to pass me I'll pull over into the turnout (and maybe take another sip off the bubbler). To this day, I've never woken up to find a dead innocent child stuck to the grill of the company van. That is irrefutable evidence that smoking ganja and driving is perfectly manageable. Drinking and driving is another story. Pound a 40 ouncer or 3 of Old English 800 Malt Liquor, and you're probably not going to be driving in the slow lane.

I don't drive much anymore. I walk and ride my bike and take the trains and buses. I shrink my brain each and every day with marijuana. We only use 10% of our brain capacity, and I've merely consolidated the active centers of my brain through the process of huffing down enormous bowls of kindbud sprinkled with hash. My goal is to ultimately factor down to four total braincells, each of them responsible for a quarter of my responsibilities.

"now that I quick"

so why are all these stories coming out of Colorado?......i dont see any stories out of Wash....what is different?.....
The pot in CO is much more potent and Coloradans know how to party. :)

When I drive stoned, I drive slow. I'm just not in a big hurry, and if a guy wants to pass me I'll pull over into the turnout (and maybe take another sip off the bubbler). To this day, I've never woken up to find a dead innocent child stuck to the grill of the company van. That is irrefutable evidence that smoking ganja and driving is perfectly manageable. Drinking and driving is another story. Pound a 40 ouncer or 3 of Old English 800 Malt Liquor, and you're probably not going to be driving in the slow lane.

I don't drive much anymore. I walk and ride my bike and take the trains and buses. I shrink my brain each and every day with marijuana. We only use 10% of our brain capacity, and I've merely consolidated the active centers of my brain through the process of huffing down enormous bowls of kindbud sprinkled with hash. My goal is to ultimately factor down to four total braincells, each of them responsible for a quarter of my responsibilities.

When I used to drive stoned (and this is way back in the 70s and 80s) I would drive super slow for awhile until I realized how slow I was going then I would speed up to the point that I was rushing then I go back to slow mode. Pot has a way of making idiots of otherwise smart people.

When I drive stoned, I drive slow. I'm just not in a big hurry, and if a guy wants to pass me I'll pull over into the turnout (and maybe take another sip off the bubbler). To this day, I've never woken up to find a dead innocent child stuck to the grill of the company van.

You make an excellent argument for vigilantism.

Forum List

Back