Supply Chain Stalled Because 72,000 Truckers Failed Strict Drug Tests

A dire truck driver shortage that’s wreaking havoc on the US economy is getting worse — and it’s being fueled partly by tough federal drug-testing restrictions that were imposed nationwide last year, industry officials told The Post.

More than 72,000 truck drivers have been taken off US roads since January 2020 because they have failed drug tests that are now required by the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse, a 22-month-old registry established to increase safety on US highways, according to government data.

Random drug testing has the norm for decades. In the 20 years I have been in the industry, 50% of drivers are tested every year. ln those 20 years, hundreds of tests, just two failed and within a month, both went through counseling drug tested again and were back out driving. They then are tested randomly at least six times over the next year.

The biggest issue is there is a massive driver shortage in started in 2005 and continues to get worse. School bus drivers, charter bus drivers, long haul, short haul, it is because many are retiring and it will get worse long before it gets better.

Of course the alternative is that these drug impaired drivers could be allowed to drive, is that what you are advocating for?

The article implies that 72,000 drivers have been removed and are now missing from the workforce and I suspect thats not the true situation
They haven't been replaced, they tested positive and now have to go through counseling to get their CDL back. Most of them go through the program and get back on the job in about 30 days.

Truck drivers, for some stupid reason, arent allowed to smoke weed when they are off work.
Well sure.

The government wants to let it be legal it to smoke pit in places like Colorado but then take their jobs away if they smoke it

Makes perfect sense to me.

It's the same with taking the jab. They are taking jobs away from people who don't take the jab, even though it will do NOTHING to help stop Covid.

My only conclusion is, the government is trying to destroy the economy. Their massive spending should then finish it all off.

Random drug testing has the norm for decades. In the 20 years I have been in the industry, 50% of drivers are tested every year. ln those 20 years, hundreds of tests, just two failed and within a month, both went through counseling drug tested again and were back out driving. They then are tested randomly at least six times over the next year.

The biggest issue is there is a massive driver shortage in started in 2005 and continues to get worse. School bus drivers, charter bus drivers, long haul, short haul, it is because many are retiring and it will get worse long before it gets better.

Of course the alternative is that these drug impaired drivers could be allowed to drive, is that what you are advocating for?
Can't be any worse than the non-drug user drivers that suck driving on the road.

I would have to say that if you want to do drugs, then being a truck driver is not the right profession for you. I had similar thoughts, back when I was a forklift operator, that this is not a profession for anyone who wants to do drugs.

Let the druggies take jobs where their drug-induced impairment doesn't put their safety, and that of other people, at risk.

Smoking a joint on a Sunday afternoon while watching football no more impairs you on Monday morning than drinking a six pack while watching football. Are you good with saying anyone that ever drinks any alcohol should also not be part of that profession?

That's not what I said. Is it? I said a random breathalyzer, just like random drug screens. Legally? No, a driver can't drive the next morning if he can't pass a breathalyzer test. If he gets in a wreck, the first the state trooper is going to do is make him blow in a tube, on the scene. Then, he's going to be required, by Federal law, to take a drug screen within 24 hours of the incident.

Y'all want the government running the show. This is what "government running the show" looks like.
Yes! You list all of those as if they are bad things. :auiqs.jpg:

Can we do that with the big pharma drug pushers who are pushing off their crap too?
I would do something far worse to them… end their business model by only allowing most of their drugs to be used under direct medical supervision (in a hospital or via hone health service). No more prescriptions directly to individuals.

Forum List

Back