Supreme Court Ties 4-4: Non-Union Employees Must Now Pay Union Dues To Public-Employee Unions

This is not China and yes you are correct some of those company's still exists not many of my type around anymore.

The company towns from Pennsylvania down through the Ozarks were every bit as bad as what's happening in China these days. It's the mentality of the multi-nationals to put profit over worker wages and safety while buzzing around in their Beemers feeling like the cat who literally did eat the canary. They should all be lined up and shot.

Not necessarily true, I was a field service technician for a major Japanese injection molding machine company for 10 years in the mid 80s to around 96.... I have been in over at least a 100 plastic factory mostly in the Midwest /south east USA but I did cover for guys and have been to a company in the Ozarks... A bunch in the North east and california.

Not to mention Ireland and Japan

But yea I know what you are saying I heard the story's in the local bars about textile and steal mills for example.

And be given the option to bargain for themselves? What a thought! Being able to negotiate what You know you are worth!
Non-union members should sign a contract stating that if they don't want to pay union dues for collective bargaining, they forego any wage benefits gained from such collective bargaining.

Scalia has abstained from the grave to give the unions a victory.

Also brought to you by...Mitch McConnell.

And be given the option to bargain for themselves? What a thought! Being able to negotiate what You know you are worth!

See, this is your lack of life experience showing. We're talking about line workers who may have little education or specific skills other than their job on the line. They're not glib, or persuasive but they show up on time and do a day's work for a day's pay. They have no power as individuals to get a better wage for themselves. In the past if it was a pretty woman, she'd be touched, rubbed up against, told she could get a raise if she got friendly with the manager....the union stands up for her and the others and uses the only bargaining power the workers have...collective bargaining. And their power is that they'll walk out if they don't get at least part of what they're asking for in a new contract. This is obviously all foreign to you and you don't give a shit what happens to anybody but yourself. But don't think you can't be replaced or "outsourced" and find yourself among those you used to laugh at and mock at the unemployment office. In your case I hope you get to experience that.

Tom horn, don't know what happened to your post, but I see you are of the belief that people have to be looked after because they surely can't take care of themselves. It is just that very thinking that makes people dependent and makes me angry.

Why does it not surprise me?

I see you rewrote a post after I posted. Same holds true though.

But yea I know what you are saying I heard the story's in the local bars about textile and steal mills for example.

Textile workers all suffered from "brown lung" from the cotton lint because the bosses said air-filtration was too expensive and besides, it took years to kill you. Nothing is any different with those types all these years later. They'll pollute the local drinking water, ignore safety rules, and fire anybody who stands up for themselves. Now they've moved on to China and SE asia...same shit, different day. Take a look at the pictures of air pollution in Beijing...people gasping for air on the sidewalks. And it's American companies who have brought that air to those people and ignore the health warnings. Bottom-line types in Armani suits clinking champagne glasses, laughing at those still cooperating with the unions and EPA in the US. The company towns may not be here anymore but they could come back. Most of those towns are long-deserted now having ruined the people and land they once sat on.

I'
Will that now apply to the USPS?
I'm sure it will. At one time, I knew several Non-Union workers who were hired at the local UPS hub who were let go due to Union members filing grievances against them for not paying Union Dues.

The USPS has been right to work as long as I have known. usps | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation
Well, now the federal SCABS have to pay up....Great... Good News!

I thought if it was a tie that Court deferred to the lower court's ruling. How did a tie vote end up in a decision?
It didn't, the tie means the lower appeal's court decision stays in place, whose decision ruled they had to pay.

do they pay a lesser amount then a Union member?
No, they BECOME union members when they pay!

Unfortunately, probably true.

Paying union dues is probably cheaper than having tires slashed, wind shields busted, cars keyed and families threatened by union thugs.

I speak from experience. In my 37 years of service I was happy to be a "SCAB" every four years when the union came up each time with more and more outrageous demands.

In 1986 it caught up with them and the plant was shut down. I got a job elsewhere in the company and never looked back. I never asked the company to pay me what the union demanded, I only asked to pay me what I was worth and what I honestly earned. And therein lies the difference.

I take it you don't know that collective bargaining increases your worth and is largely responsible for the nice living wage you "earn."

I thought if it was a tie that Court deferred to the lower court's ruling. How did a tie vote end up in a decision?
It didn't, the tie means the lower appeal's court decision stays in place, whose decision ruled they had to pay.

do they pay a lesser amount then a Union member?
i think they do pay less, they pay only the negotiation part but NOT the funds going for political stuff, but i am not certain??

Forum List

Back