Surprise Factory Downturn Holds Back U.S. Growth: Economy

How is Obamanomics working for YOU?

Manufacturing (NAPMPMI) in the U.S. unexpectedly shrank in May at the fastest pace in four years, showing slowdowns in business and government spending are holding back the world’s largest economy.

The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index fell to 49, the lowest reading since June 2009, from the prior month’s 50.7, the Tempe, Arizona-based group’s report showed today. Fifty is the dividing line between growth and contraction. The median forecast of 81 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 51.

"slowdowns in government spending", hmmmm.....
Is that 'Obamanomics'...really??

Manufacturing (NAPMPMI) in the U.S. unexpectedly shrank in May at the fastest pace in four years, showing slowdowns in business and government spending are holding back the world’s largest economy.

The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index fell to 49, the lowest reading since June 2009, from the prior month’s 50.7, the Tempe, Arizona-based group’s report showed today. Fifty is the dividing line between growth and contraction. The median forecast of 81 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 51.

I saw that. Yes, thread killer, and killer of the conservative claim that shrinking the size of government is the key to creating jobs.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
Good news for the GOP, right Freewill!

No one is a winner during a protracted recession, other then those that control the media and armed with an abundance of excuses to cover for ones incompetence.

than

If nobody is a winner, then why do your pals rush to their keyboards to announce bad news like this? It is a wonder they can type with those foam fingers.

Perhaps, in the spirit of patriotism, you sore losers could at least pretend that bad economic news upsets you.

Good news for the GOP, right Freewill!

No one is a winner during a protracted recession, other then those that control the media and armed with an abundance of excuses to cover for ones incompetence.

than

If nobody is a winner, then why do your pals rush to their keyboards to announce bad news like this? It is a wonder they can type with those foam fingers.

Perhaps, in the spirit of patriotism, you sore losers could at least pretend that bad economic news upsets you.

I think a furrowed brow is implied...along with with their foaming mouths.

Damn, I got to get up pretty early in the morning to get ahead of the dude from down under. Does the sun ever set down there?

But I was thinking the same thing. Rethug mantra; cut government spending. Then amazingly, the economy slows and it was partially the result of cuts in government spending........and the asshole rethugs want to blame it again.... on someone else.

Dead thread.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb

Damn, I got to get up pretty early in the morning to get ahead of the dude from down under. Does the sun ever set down there?

But I was thinking the same thing. Rethug mantra; cut government spending. Then amazingly, the economy slows and it was partially the result of cuts in government spending........and the asshole rethugs want to blame it again.... on someone else.

Dead thread.
Government only consumes. Government removes wealth from the economy.
It is not possible for government to tax and spend a nation into prosperity. Get that through your head.

Dead thread.
It is not possible for government to tax and spend a nation into prosperity. Get that through your head.

Where does the wealth go after theGovernment has their hands on it?
How does it get 'removed from the economy'?
Do they send it to the Caymen Islands or Switzerland maybe?

Manufacturing in this country peaked in 1979.

Yeah and?
Actually there is just as much manufacturing in this country if not more than ever. It's just done be fewer people. That's due to technology.
Manufacturing, or what people refer to as 'factory work' no longer exists.
Manufacturing is a high tech business. It is almost impossible for someone who does not at least have a background in computers( most companies require at least a tech school degree) to be hired in a manufacturing environment.

Yeah and?
Actually there is just as much manufacturing in this country if not more than ever. It's just done be fewer people. That's due to technology.
Manufacturing is a high tech business. It is almost impossible for someone who does not at least have a background in computers( most companies require at least a tech school degree) to be hired in a manufacturing environment.

The information you have provided here is incorrect. Do you care?

Employment peaked that year. America was still running trade deficits years before.

WHAT?!! Where do you get this stuff from?
In 1979 we were in the middle of one the worst economic periods in the nation's history. We had double digit annual inflation, gasoline shortages, government mandated wage and price controls and interest rates never seen before.
I bought my first new car in 1980. The rate was 19.17%.
The bls.gov rate for 1979 was 5.8%. However, the year before it was 6.1% and in 1980 7.1%
In other words '79 was an anomaly.

Dead thread.

Where does the wealth go after theGovernment has their hands on it?
How does it get 'removed from the economy'?
Do they send it to the Caymen Islands or Switzerland maybe?

No...that's what "job creators" do. The Government doesn't create jobs, remember?

I guess consumer confidence isn't as good as recently reported. Factories don't slow down if thing are selling.

Well no.

Government austerity is the root of the problem.

Shock as it might be to you, but the single largest customer for most US goods produced by Manufacturing..is the US government.

Bush's fault, right?

Obama had no idea we even had factories here until he read about it in the newspaper this morning!

I guess consumer confidence isn't as good as recently reported. Factories don't slow down if thing are selling.

Well no.

Government austerity is the root of the problem.

Shock as it might be to you, but the single largest customer for most US goods produced by Manufacturing..is the US government.

Austerity?

You sure you know what the word means?

Dead thread.

Really? How does education remove wealth from the economy? Aren't educated people more productive than uneducated ones? How does improving infrastructure remove wealth from the economy? How does the system of law enforcement and our judicial institutions remove wealth from the economy? Isn't law and order of greater economic value than high crime?

Yeah and?

So education is a vital national interest. That's what I've been trying to tell you people for ages.

Forum List

Back