🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Surprise wedding reception for Syrian refugees in Saskatoon

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
With Facebook available, people are able to do some nice things for other people.

Couple fled Syria 10 days after marriage

CBC News Posted: Dec 06, 2015 7:22 PM CT Last Updated: Dec 06, 2015 7:22 PM CT

Surprise wedding reception. 0:14
A group of friends and strangers in Saskatoon came together to throw a surprise wedding party for a young Syrian couple.

Ten days after Mohamad Al-Noury, 21, and Athar Farroukh, 23, were married in Syria they had to leave their country because of bombing. They spent time in refugee camps in Lebanon before coming to Saskatoon about a year ago as refugees. Members of their immediate families are still overseas.

athar-farroukh-finally-gets-her-wedding-photos.JPG

Athar Farroukh finally gets her wedding photos. The CBC's Eman Bare offered to take her photographs when she heard that Farroukh and her husband Mohamad Al-Noury had to flee Syria and had no opportunity to create pictures from their wedding. (Eman Bare/submitted)

CBC News reporter Eman Bare met the couple while researching a story about refugee and mental health.

"I started taking pictures of them towards the end [of our interview] for my story and the woman, Athar, said that, 'I never got to have wedding pictures.' I just started thinking, and I said, 'Well I have a camera. If you want tomorrow, I can take a couple wedding-type pictures for you.'"

Bare put a post on Facebook, mentioning that plan, and soon several individuals and businesses offered to throw a surprise party for the couple.

Continue reading at:

Forum List

Back