Survey:15,000 police against Obama's gun agenda

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
The whole survey is worth the read. I'll put the link up after this excerpt. Interesting opinions.

Here's how the poll was conducted.

headerimage1.gif

In March, PoliceOne conducted the most comprehensive survey ever of American law enforcement officers’ opinions on the topic gripping the nation's attention in recent weeks: gun control.

More than 15,000 verified law enforcement professionals took part in the survey, which aimed to bring together the thoughts and opinions of the only professional group devoted to limiting and defeating gun violence as part of their sworn responsibility.

Totaling just shy of 30 questions, the survey allowed officers across the United States to share their perspectives on issues spanning from gun control and gun violence to gun rights.

Top Line Takeaways
Breaking down the results, it's important to note that 70 percent of respondents are field-level law enforcers — those who are face-to-face in the fight against violent crime on a daily basis — not office-bound, non-sworn administrators or perpetually-campaigning elected officials.

:eusa_angel: If you don't have time to go to the website, here's a brief summary from NewBusters.

Link to PoliceOne (pretty cool website btw)

PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

The poll, conducted by the law-enforcement site PoliceOne, asked 15,000 police officers thirty questions on measures related to the Obama administration’s push for more control. In all, the survey found that:

Virtually all respondents (95 percent) say that a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would not reduce violent crime."

The majority of respondents — 71 percent — say a federal ban on the manufacture and sale of some semi-automatics would have no effect on reducing violent crime.

However, more than 20 percent say any ban would actually have a negative effect on reducing violent crime. Just over 7 percent took the opposite stance, saying they believe a ban would have a moderate to significant effect."

But here's the part that will make liberal gun grabbers' heads explode::eusa_angel: Basically chiming in with the rest of us saying gun control isn't the answer. That reducing violence is a so much more complex.

" More than 28 percent of officers say having more permissive concealed carry policies for civilians would help most in preventing large scale shootings in public, followed by more aggressive institutionalization for mentally ill persons (about 19 percent) and more armed guards/paid security personnel (about 15 percent)."

Survey of 15,000 Cops Shows They Don't Support Obama's Gun Control Agenda | NewsBusters

Last edited:
Yet crazy eyed Pelosi, Feinstein and others think they know more about preventing crime than police.

Seriously, don't we all want to be as safe as Chicago? So, let's copy them with their strict gun laws. Sheer liberal logic at work here.

Yet crazy eyed Pelosi, Feinstein and others think they know more about preventing crime than police.

Seriously, don't we all want to be as safe as Chicago? So, let's copy them with their strict gun laws. Sheer liberal logic at work here.

And Detroit.

The next thing on the confiscation list, will be knives after today's knifing spree at a community college in Texas that left 14 stabbed including two in critical condition.

Whatever we do, let us NOT address seriously, the early detection of mentally unstable students and others. :cuckoo: Let us disable the innocent, law-abiding instead. :eusa_whistle:

It's like living in a Twilight Zone episode with the Democrats. I keep expecting any day now that Rod Serling's voice will come out of my speakers before I start to read articles at Politico.

Wanting to replicate the stellar failure of Chicago gun laws is insane. What next? Hold up Detroit as the economic blueprint for the nation?

Oh wait.......

Last edited:
Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan

Local law enforcement officials expressed strong support for President Barack Obama’s gun-control plans that he laid out in a speech Wednesday.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him take a comprehensive approach,” said Carlsbad Police Chief Gary Morrison. “I liked the way he talked about the medical community and the impact of video games on kids, and money to law enforcement and schools to craft emergency response plans.”

Obama said he would sign 23 executive actions giving law enforcement, schools and the public health community some of the tools they need to reduce gun violence.

He called for stronger background checks on gun buyers, funds for more school security officers, and for Congress to restore an expired ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

“You could not find a bigger supporter of the president than myself today,” said San Diego Police Chief Bill Lansdowne. “It makes my officers safer and it’s going to make the community safer.”

He said he looks forward to bans on assault weapons and their high-capacity magazines and more funds for school officers and mental health. Lansdowne said his agency’s calls to deal with the mentally ill have risen 50 percent in the past couple of years.

Sheriff Bill Gore said he backs a requirement that states take part in a federal gun registration database. “One-quarter of felony convictions aren’t in the database because it’s voluntary for states to participate,” Gore said. “The challenge will be getting mental health records in it.”

Gore said he hopes the president’s actions spur a “rational discussion on the Second Amendment.

Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan | UTSanDiego.com

As always, there are two sides to every story.

Local law enforcement officials expressed strong support for President Barack Obama’s gun-control plans that he laid out in a speech Wednesday.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him take a comprehensive approach,” said Carlsbad Police Chief Gary Morrison. “I liked the way he talked about the medical community and the impact of video games on kids, and money to law enforcement and schools to craft emergency response plans.”

Obama said he would sign 23 executive actions giving law enforcement, schools and the public health community some of the tools they need to reduce gun violence.

He called for stronger background checks on gun buyers, funds for more school security officers, and for Congress to restore an expired ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

“You could not find a bigger supporter of the president than myself today,” said San Diego Police Chief Bill Lansdowne. “It makes my officers safer and it’s going to make the community safer.”

He said he looks forward to bans on assault weapons and their high-capacity magazines and more funds for school officers and mental health. Lansdowne said his agency’s calls to deal with the mentally ill have risen 50 percent in the past couple of years.

Sheriff Bill Gore said he backs a requirement that states take part in a federal gun registration database. “One-quarter of felony convictions aren’t in the database because it’s voluntary for states to participate,” Gore said. “The challenge will be getting mental health records in it.”

Gore said he hopes the president’s actions spur a “rational discussion on the Second Amendment.

Yup 15,000 vs 1.... annnnd that 1 somehow magically trumps all. So no, it's not the same because I can find a Police Chief that does not support it.

That's like asking 15k doctors what they think about _____, having massive agreement but then saying they are wrong because an (1) (single) owner of a hospital does not agree...

Not quite two sides. Police chiefs are part of the political administration and police officers are the people working the streets, and are the people who interact with citizens and criminals alike. Their opinion on armed citizens is far more valid than the political utterings of their chiefs.

They're ignorant RW dupes who pay attention to idiot RW websites like this. duh.

lol, you just make me laff and laff and laff... Real life must be very hard on you with all that misdirected hate thing that obviously overwhelms you. Can you make it through a sentence on these boards without a blinding hyper partisan hate filled talking point or insult leading and ending the sentence?

Last I heard, there were over 800,000 total law enforcement personnel in the U.S. Therefore, 15,000 only represents less than 2%. I repeat - less than 2%.

Last I heard, there were over 800,000 total law enforcement personnel in the U.S. Therefore, 15,000 only represents less than 2%. I repeat - less than 2%.

Name me one national poll that asks every American their opinion on an issue. Every American.

No poll is conducted that way.

:lol:

Last edited:

And the average survey that the left uses to push their agenda is usually 900 - 1000 people.

Seems that there were, as a percentage, more police interviewed here, than what is usually done by any polling company.

Police Chiefs usually serve at the pleasure of the Mayor or Elected body of the city. That means they are political animals first and foremost. It would be dangerous to their career to publically disagree with the person who could fire them tomorrow.

And the average survey that the left uses to push their agenda is usually 900 - 1000 people.

Seems that there were, as a percentage, more police interviewed here, than what is usually done by any polling company.

Exactly right. I just got the actual PoliceOne website link and information how they conducted the survey.

I'll put it in my OP right now.

It's a RW online BS outfit. It's like a Fox poll where they find 98% want to impeach Obama. FERCHRISSAKE, dupes...

PoliceOne conducted the survey with 15,000 validated police personnel. Are you going to start slagging police now?

Now this is the profile:

PoliceOne.com is the One resource for Law Enforcement online. Our mission is to provide officers with information and resources that make them better able to protect their communities and stay safer on the streets.

We provide a secure, trusted and reliable online environment for the exchange of information between officers and departments from across the United States and from around the world.

With more than 1.5 million unique visitors per month and more than 450,000 registered members, PoliceOne is becoming the leading destination for Law Enforcement professionals.

The PoliceOne Network includes industry leading coverage of breaking news, training, grant funding, career opportunities, product research and analysis from some of the top experts in law enforcement.

Visit our Columnist directory for bios and contact information for PoliceOne's columnists.

For more information, see what our members have to say about us.

How PoliceOne Gives Back
As you know, grants are a huge and growing need across the first responder community. One of our signature programs – Grant Assistance – was built directly out of this need. To date our Grant Assistance Program has supported over $20 million in grant awards and helped more than 20,000 departments.

Offering free grant help and support services from our leading grant experts who are all active first responders is a great way to give back to the public safety community. To learn more, visit Police Grants, Law Enforcement Grants, Police Department Grants, Grants for police.

About Us

2011-OD-badge-285x245.jpg

Forum List

Back