Survey:15,000 police against Obama's gun agenda

Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan

Local law enforcement officials expressed strong support for President Barack Obama’s gun-control plans that he laid out in a speech Wednesday.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him take a comprehensive approach,” said Carlsbad Police Chief Gary Morrison. “I liked the way he talked about the medical community and the impact of video games on kids, and money to law enforcement and schools to craft emergency response plans.”

Obama said he would sign 23 executive actions giving law enforcement, schools and the public health community some of the tools they need to reduce gun violence.

He called for stronger background checks on gun buyers, funds for more school security officers, and for Congress to restore an expired ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

“You could not find a bigger supporter of the president than myself today,” said San Diego Police Chief Bill Lansdowne. “It makes my officers safer and it’s going to make the community safer.”

He said he looks forward to bans on assault weapons and their high-capacity magazines and more funds for school officers and mental health. Lansdowne said his agency’s calls to deal with the mentally ill have risen 50 percent in the past couple of years.

Sheriff Bill Gore said he backs a requirement that states take part in a federal gun registration database. “One-quarter of felony convictions aren’t in the database because it’s voluntary for states to participate,” Gore said. “The challenge will be getting mental health records in it.”

Gore said he hopes the president’s actions spur a “rational discussion on the Second Amendment.

Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan | UTSanDiego.com

As always, there are two sides to every story.

Police Chiefs are POLITICAL POSITIONS....they aren't the rank and file with their lives on the line.

Sheriffs in New York are even standing up against this bullshit.

Give us some "credible" proof.

Google is your friend.

This is only my sheriff in Suffolk County

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ?NO? to Obama Gun Control | CSPOA - Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7I7tMyC8uA]Suffolk County Long Island Sheriff Vincent Demarco on Constitutional Sheriff's Convention - YouTube[/ame]

New York Greene Greg Sealy Link
New York Otsego Richard Devlin Jr.
New York Putnam Donald Smith
New York Saratoga James D. Bowen Link
New York Schoharie Tony Desmond
New York Steuben David Cole
New York Suffolk Vincent DeMarco

get owned faggot.

They're ignorant RW dupes who pay attention to idiot RW websites like this. duh.

lol, you just make me laff and laff and laff... Real life must be very hard on you with all that misdirected hate thing that obviously overwhelms you. Can you make it through a sentence on these boards without a blinding hyper partisan hate filled talking point or insult leading and ending the sentence?

Nope, vitriol replaced his blood long ago....

The whole survey is worth the read. I'll put the link up after this excerpt. Interesting opinions.

Here's how the poll was conducted.

headerimage1.gif

In March, PoliceOne conducted the most comprehensive survey ever of American law enforcement officers’ opinions on the topic gripping the nation's attention in recent weeks: gun control.

More than 15,000 verified law enforcement professionals took part in the survey, which aimed to bring together the thoughts and opinions of the only professional group devoted to limiting and defeating gun violence as part of their sworn responsibility.

Totaling just shy of 30 questions, the survey allowed officers across the United States to share their perspectives on issues spanning from gun control and gun violence to gun rights.

Top Line Takeaways
Breaking down the results, it's important to note that 70 percent of respondents are field-level law enforcers — those who are face-to-face in the fight against violent crime on a daily basis — not office-bound, non-sworn administrators or perpetually-campaigning elected officials.

:eusa_angel: If you don't have time to go to the website, here's a brief summary from NewBusters.

Link to PoliceOne (pretty cool website btw)

PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

The poll, conducted by the law-enforcement site PoliceOne, asked 15,000 police officers thirty questions on measures related to the Obama administration’s push for more control. In all, the survey found that:

Virtually all respondents (95 percent) say that a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would not reduce violent crime."

The majority of respondents — 71 percent — say a federal ban on the manufacture and sale of some semi-automatics would have no effect on reducing violent crime.

However, more than 20 percent say any ban would actually have a negative effect on reducing violent crime. Just over 7 percent took the opposite stance, saying they believe a ban would have a moderate to significant effect."

But here's the part that will make liberal gun grabbers' heads explode::eusa_angel: Basically chiming in with the rest of us saying gun control isn't the answer. That reducing violence is a so much more complex.

" More than 28 percent of officers say having more permissive concealed carry policies for civilians would help most in preventing large scale shootings in public, followed by more aggressive institutionalization for mentally ill persons (about 19 percent) and more armed guards/paid security personnel (about 15 percent)."

Survey of 15,000 Cops Shows They Don't Support Obama's Gun Control Agenda | NewsBusters

I beat you by hours and you still get more responses than me. Maybe I should wear a bikini.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/287824-gun-control-poll-of-real-cops.html

Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan

Local law enforcement officials expressed strong support for President Barack Obama’s gun-control plans that he laid out in a speech Wednesday.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I heard him take a comprehensive approach,” said Carlsbad Police Chief Gary Morrison. “I liked the way he talked about the medical community and the impact of video games on kids, and money to law enforcement and schools to craft emergency response plans.”

Obama said he would sign 23 executive actions giving law enforcement, schools and the public health community some of the tools they need to reduce gun violence.

He called for stronger background checks on gun buyers, funds for more school security officers, and for Congress to restore an expired ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

“You could not find a bigger supporter of the president than myself today,” said San Diego Police Chief Bill Lansdowne. “It makes my officers safer and it’s going to make the community safer.”

He said he looks forward to bans on assault weapons and their high-capacity magazines and more funds for school officers and mental health. Lansdowne said his agency’s calls to deal with the mentally ill have risen 50 percent in the past couple of years.

Sheriff Bill Gore said he backs a requirement that states take part in a federal gun registration database. “One-quarter of felony convictions aren’t in the database because it’s voluntary for states to participate,” Gore said. “The challenge will be getting mental health records in it.”

Gore said he hopes the president’s actions spur a “rational discussion on the Second Amendment.
Police chiefs back Obama gun-laws plan | UTSanDiego.com

As always, there are two sides to every story.

Let me see, police chiefs, who have to depend on politics to keep their jobs, say they support the same policies mayors do. Beat cops, who have to actually live with the policies, support something else.

Which side is the one you support? Do you support powerful politicians, or the actual cops?

Last I heard, there were over 800,000 total law enforcement personnel in the U.S. Therefore, 15,000 only represents less than 2%. I repeat - less than 2%.

The polls that show that population shows that 90% of the population supports gun control are generally about 1000 people out of 300 million, what's your point?

Last I heard, there were over 800,000 total law enforcement personnel in the U.S. Therefore, 15,000 only represents less than 2%. I repeat - less than 2%.

Name me one national poll that asks every American their opinion on an issue. Every American.

No poll is conducted that way.

:lol:

Most polls don't even get to 2% of the population.

One thing is for sure, Obama will not be flying any of those officers to Washington on Air Force One any time soon to speak to any Senators

And that poll you keep quoting about 90% wanting background checks, what is the sample size for that?

Very good point

It is?

Will it be equally good the next time you say that 90% of the country supports universal background checks and I point out that they only surveyed 0.0003% of the population?

Forum List

Back