Survey - Should your genome be public?

skylermc1

Rookie
Apr 14, 2013
I'm conducting a survey for a research project about genome sequencing, if you have time to answer some or all of these questions I would really appreciate it. Feel free to add any additional information or questions you feel relevant. This is an open forum for all thoughts and ideas regarding this topic.

As some or all of you may know in 2003 the human genome project was completed. It took 10 years and cost 3 billion dollars. Today a collection of companies offer personal DNA sequencing from $800-1000 US dollars. Scientists and research companies are creating large open-source public DNA data pools online for anyone to access. Volunteers are donating their DNA data to be studied by genomic scientists and researches around the world.

1. Do you agree with public / open-source DNA databases, yes or no? Why?

2. What do you think are the biggest risks associated with an individual publishing their DNA sequence online?

3. How do you feel about genetic discrimination?

4. Do you agree with GINA - Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act?

5. Currently GINA protects genetic discrimination regarding some types of health insurance, it does not restrict life insurance and long-term disability insurance companies from using an individual's genetic sequence to determine coverage. How do you feel about this?

6. Personal DNA sequence tests are rapidly becoming cheaper and more accessible, what kind of predictions do you imagine in the future when all people will know and understand their DNA sequence? Examples: - Advantage - healthcare will become more personalized, doctors will examine your DNA sequence and formulate personalized vitamins, regiments, and medications specific to each patient's needs. Disadvantage - DNA sequence accessibility could lead to a dystopian future where their DNA sequence could cause lose of employment opportunities, insurance plans, etc.

If you're interested please answer as many of the questions as you like. Thank you!

The People's Problem

I wanted to re-hash this thread which I found on the search tool, especially because I was surprised no one posted an answer, so I figured I'd take a little bravado and post something for the board.

Somehow, all this dialogue surrounding modern genetics and the Human Genome Project (HGP) does not seem to be getting much media attention. That could be because genetics is a sensitive subject, and the media is handling it appropriately with modesty, or, it could be because all the hoopla surrounding modern economics-based networking is overshadowing bureaucratic talk about subject such as genetic engineering and Internet monitoring.

Genetics controversy makes me want to just avoid the complications and just enjoy the excellent genetics-paranoia film "Gattaca" (1997).

Public access to personal genetics files could stimulate interest in science research, but it could also generate a lot of mob psychology noise.

I support something like GINA, since we obviously need standards for civics when it comes to genetics. I'm a big fan of the American paramilitary fantasy-adventure super-soldier comic book franchise "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" (Hasbro), which presents stories about patriotic crusaders called G.I. Joes vying with a terrorist organization called Cobra which includes in its martial roster a genetically-engineered super-brute named Serpentor.

There's no reason we can't coordinate conversational philosophy with science ergonomics.

:afro:

ELSI Program

serpentor.jpg

I try not to expose my genome in public, but I keep an extra pair of pants handy in case that happens.

I'm conducting a survey for a research project about genome sequencing, if you have time to answer some or all of these questions I would really appreciate it. Feel free to add any additional information or questions you feel relevant. This is an open forum for all thoughts and ideas regarding this topic.

As some or all of you may know in 2003 the human genome project was completed. It took 10 years and cost 3 billion dollars. Today a collection of companies offer personal DNA sequencing from $800-1000 US dollars. Scientists and research companies are creating large open-source public DNA data pools online for anyone to access. Volunteers are donating their DNA data to be studied by genomic scientists and researches around the world.

1. Do you agree with public / open-source DNA databases, yes or no? Why?

Yes, with one huge condition: its utterly anonymous. A medical history would be fine.

Forum List

Back