Target to stop asking job applicants about criminal record

Good! It should be done away with. I plead guilty to something 7 years ago state dropped everything once I paid a fine,probation etc record is clean from that arrest etc but not from federal government. I tried purchasing a rifle few years ago and I couldn't thanks to zog. Course the only gun law I respect or even acknowledge is the 2nd amendment it was just a pain in the ass, and of course the part of the ATF that deals with that crap where you can get your record cleaned off is no longer funded. So yea its pretty stupid. For the BS I went through should have just killed the SOB I got into it with.

It's interesting that obozo wants to help ex-cons get jobs but not guns. This govt doesn't want anyone to have a gun.

[

They are opening themselves to lawsuits because if they hire a child molester and this person gets a job and does something to a child the lawyers will be swarming due to they have a toy department

They are still allowed to deny someone a job due to criminal record. But they will no longer automatically reject such a person at the outset of the application process.

Do your time, keep your nose clean and the criminal record should be sealed or expunged. These people need to work to stay out of trouble.

Then you hire them.

Personally I would never hire a criminal.

Really, some kid at 18 did something stupid and now has a record... you wouldnt give him a second chance? I teach (volunteer) Basic Computer Skills at a prison...because I feel it would help them when they get out. I have met boys and men who just messed up once. They arent all bad. Some really want to do better when they are out.

I am sure we have all done something in our past that we could have been arrested for. The only difference is... they got caught.

Depends what he did. Selling weed? Sure. Molesting a toddler? HELL, NO.

This is an ok idea as long as it stays at the state or employer level which is where the tenth amendment says it should be. The constitution makes it clear this is NOT a federal matter.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/target-bans-the-box/?_r=0

October 29, 2013,

Sanctions that make it more difficult for ex-offenders to obtain jobs, housing and even basic documents like drivers’ licenses only serve to drive them back to jail. With that in mind, a growing number of states and municipalities now prohibit public agencies — and in some cases private employers — from asking about a job applicant’s criminal history until the applicant reaches the interview stage or gets a conditional job offer. These eminently sensible “ban the box” laws are intended to let ex-offenders prove their qualifications before criminal history issues enter the equation.

Earlier this year Minnesota extended its existing law to cover private employers. Now, the Minneapolis-based Target Corporation, one of the nation’s largest employers, has announced that it will remove questions about criminal history from its job applications throughout the country. The announcement represents an important victory for the grassroots community group TakeAction Minnesota, which had been pressuring the company to change.

The problem is, when you have a country with 2 million in prison and another 7 million on probation or parole.... there has to be a point where you have to end this kind of discrimination.

In the first criminal defense firm I worked for everyone but the attorneys was an ex con. The limo driver was a serial rapist, the bookkeeper a real estate fraudster, the investigator a drug dealer, the two secretaries were whores, the photographer was a drug addict outlaw biker. They all started on work release programs and stayed. However I would not recommend hiring criminals.

I can safely say that I've never driven drunk, since I've never driven a car.

But I break the law every day.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

It is almost impossible to not break any laws daily since laws overlap. By obeying some laws you automatically break others.

[

They are opening themselves to lawsuits because if they hire a child molester and this person gets a job and does something to a child the lawyers will be swarming due to they have a toy department

They are still allowed to deny someone a job due to criminal record. But they will no longer automatically reject such a person at the outset of the application process.

They will at least let you waste your time, gas and money not getting a job.

In the first criminal defense firm I worked for everyone but the attorneys was an ex con. The limo driver was a serial rapist, the bookkeeper a real estate fraudster, the investigator a drug dealer, the two secretaries were whores, the photographer was a drug addict outlaw biker. They all started on work release programs and stayed. However I would not recommend hiring criminals.

We will remember that the next time you need help, us criminals will just watch you get your due.

Last edited:
Target has it right. Someone who has served his time has a right to re-integrate into society. That means getting a job just like everyone else. As a man of faith, it is my duty to forgive and forget, and that applies to former criminals who have paid their debt to society.

Seems they turned their lives around - why deny others the same chance?

Forum List

Back