Tariff wiggle room ..

Siete

Platinum Member
May 19, 2014
Trump watered down the tariffs at the last minute, by exempting Canada and Mexico, two of the top four suppliers of foreign steel to the United States. He also gave other trading partners a way to wriggle free of the tariffs.

BUT he got exactly what he wanted ;

9ae991f0-23c8-11e8-b0c6-43ce79646644_steel2.jpg.cf.webp

his fucking picture of him signing SOMETHING- ANYTHING and a few people kissing his fat ass after he did it.

Yahoo Finance answers: How many steelworkers are there, anyway?

Trump has exempted Mexico from the tariffs. So much for making them pay for the wall.

Trump's Commerce Secretary found a loophole in the WTO regulations which says we can unilaterally enact tariffs for "national security" reasons. However, Trump has exempted so many countries from the tariff, this bogus claim is now revealed for what it really is.

The best part is that the same Secretary is claiming our trading partners can't use the same loophole to retaliate!

Trump watered down the tariffs at the last minute, by exempting Canada and Mexico, two of the top four suppliers of foreign steel to the United States. He also gave other trading partners a way to wriggle free of the tariffs.

BUT he got exactly what he wanted ;

9ae991f0-23c8-11e8-b0c6-43ce79646644_steel2.jpg.cf.webp

his fucking picture of him signing SOMETHING- ANYTHING and a few people kissing his fat ass after he did it.

Yahoo Finance answers: How many steelworkers are there, anyway?
Trump really does know his audience.

And this has zero effect on China, and the EU doesn't want a trade war, esp since they kill us in cars ..... so if he gives a little they'll let it slide.

And frankly if states like Miss lose their ability to export pork chickens lumber and cotton .... even their state gop parties will holler.

He is going to have a major test if Canada does as they have planned, and continue to drag their feet. Their intention from the beginning was to drag it out and bet on Trump losing the re-election in 2020 and they will rightfully assume the next president will be beholden to donors and reverse the negotiations and return to the status quo.

Therefore he MUST hit Canada with tariffs, when, not if, they drag their feet. They have 6 of the 30 issues they were supposed to have completed after 7 rounds of meetings. Canada refuses to give any sovereignty to America.

If I were Trump I would have cut through this bs long ago and just said "we are leaving NAFTA", it is then 6 months and out. It would apply immense pressure for Canada to negotiate in good faith rather than being afraid that their covert, Eastern Bloc economy will no longer be swamped with state actors.

Canada is protecting the financial industrial, telecom, dairy, lumber and the auto industry, which we outright bought jobs from America. Ontario has been rag dolling the U.S for some time, and they are most forceful to not give any concessions to America. The tail wagging the dog, and it will continue, mark my words.

Last edited:
Trumps idea of other countries paying their way is to give them a free ride - Mr Best Negotiator EVER !!!

SUCKERS !!!!!!!!!!!

He is going to have a major test if Canada does as they have planned, and continue to drag their feet. Their intention from the beginning was to drag it out and bet on Trump losing the re-election in 2020 and they will rightfully assume the next president will be beholden to donors and reverse the negotiations and return to the status quo.

Therefore he MUST hit Canada with tariffs, when, not if, they drag their feet. They have 6 of the 30 issues they wee supposed to have completed after 7 rounds of meetings. Canada refuses to give any sovereignty to America.

If I were Trump I would have cut through this bs long ago and just said "we are leaving NAFTA", it is then 6 months and out. It would apply immense pressure for Canada to negotiate in good faith rather than being afraid their their covert, Eastern Bloc economy will no longer be swamped with state actors.

Canada is protecting the financial industrial, telecom, dairy, lumber and the auto industry, which we outright bought jobs from America. Ontario has been rag dolling the U.S for some time, and they are most forceful to not give any concessions to America. The tail wagging the dog, and it will continue, mark my words.
Trump caved after he got his headlines.

Canada, Mexico Stick to Nafta Plan After Trump’s Tariff Reprieve

Therefore he MUST hit Canada with tariffs, when, not if, they drag their feet. They have 6 of the 30 issues they wee supposed to have completed after 7 rounds of meetings. Canada refuses to give any sovereignty to America.

If I were Trump I would have cut through this bs long ago and just said "we are leaving NAFTA", it is then 6 months and out. It would apply immense pressure for Canada to negotiate in good faith rather than being afraid their their covert, Eastern Bloc economy will no longer be swamped with state actors.

sure he did, he's caved on damn near everything hes tried to do ...

Except for the personal income tax cut that was Mitch's baby. One of Cohn's frustrations was the corp tax cut did bring in off shored profits to be taxed, resulting temporary one time revenues. THAT was to go for infrastructure under Trump's initial proposal. But Mitch used the money to pay off donors, and hold onto the senate and possibly the house.

So yeah, he's a creampuff bully. But he knows his audience.

Except for the personal income tax cut that was Mitch's baby. One of Cohn's frustrations was the corp tax cut did bring in off shored profits to be taxed, resulting temporary one time revenues. THAT was to go for infrastructure under Trump's initial proposal. But Mitch used the money to pay off donors, and hold onto the senate and possibly the house.

So yeah, he's a creampuff bully. But he knows his audience.

how hard is it for a RW president to pass a tax cut with a RW congress ......

:21::21:

Forum List

Back