Tariffs are a double-edged sword....

The initial "rejoicing" by some Trump supporters regarding the imposition of tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, will (unfortunately) soon wear off.

Why???

Actually rather simple, the planned "tax" on imports will never match the lower costs of production in other countries such as Mexico, Canada, China, etc.......BUT, what that tax will certainly do, is raise the cost for all of us (including the domestic steel and aluminum workers') on cars, soda cans, airplane manufacturing, housing, etc.

Plus, the tariffs will surely trigger trade wars on some of our own exports as importers of our products will retaliate by making such products' prices (through their own tariffs) prohibitive for foreign buyers.

So, the "simple solutions" offered by Trump are just another example of his bravado to incite his dwindling base....but, like most things that Trump proposes the cheering and rejoicing will be short-lived even if such proposals were ever to materialize.

Agree.

Companies can justify the cost, they don’t like shrinking profit margins. Just like when tariffs increase, those companies will raise their prices.
"Justify the cost?" They put a price tag on it and you either buy it or you don't! When you go to Home Depot, do they give you a printout of every employee's salary compared to last year to justify the fact that the box of nails is $11 instead of $10? No! Price is more or less based STRICTLY on what they think people are willing to pay. That's why cables and cords are so expensive at electronics stores: because they know people psychologically are OK with paying $40 for a cord when they just spent $800 on a TV. Go online and you'll find the same cord for $1 and you don't even have to leave your home!

The business just doesn’t put a random price on their goods and services, they calculate all the costs and then set their price so they can make a profit. The guy that manufactures the nails is going to charge what they need to charge to make a profit so they can stay in business, as business costs rise, the price of the nails rise. So if wages go up, the price of the nails will go up, if transportation costs go up, then the price goes up, if people won’t buy the nails and the business can’t make a profit, then the business needs to see if they can reduce costs or quit making the nails because they are not going to lose money.
Nobody said anything about a random price. The price is based on what (enough) people are willing pay. Some items might even be sold at a loss (loss leaders). Sellers don't just add a $ amount or % to the cost!

Once again, this is why cables are sold at such a high price (compared to the Internet) at local US stores. It's why different businesses can have strikingly different profit margins. Explain that one to me!

Link your for a$1 and tell me the store that’s sells the exact same one for $40.
1FT 3F 6FT 10FT 15FT USB 2.0 A Male Plug to MINI B 5 PIN Male Leads Cable Usable | eBay
10 ft, $2.86

AudioQuest - 10' USB A-to-Mini USB Cable - Black/Gray
10 ft, $249.99

Here's a "basic" one from them for $24.99:
Insignia™ - 10' Micro USB Charge-and-Sync Cable - Black

eBay $1.69:
3Ft 6Ft 10Ft Micro USB Data Sync Charging Braided Cable for Galaxy Android V8 | eBay

...and that's a pretty standard cable, too!

The one for $249 is not the same as the first one, the one for $1.10 is not made of silver, nor does it have the long grain copper. The two are very different in quality. I looked to see where the $249 one was made. The ones on eBay are a direct buy from China.

I asked for exact same ones, now you got the link? I would never buy a cheap quality $1 knock off wanna be. That is what you gave me, the two for the lower price show a lack of quality just by reading the specs you can see the big difference in quality.

You can rent a bus for a seven day group tour of Yellowstone and pay for a school bus or a luxury motorcoach, the quality of the ride and trip are vastly different and one would be really cheap and the other would be a lot more.

I bought cheap knock offs and they work and break, my Apple cords I can return when they break and the quality is much better, cheap knocks will always be cheaper. I you want to build a spec home, it is cheaper than the same size home that is custom built and the quality would be much greater. You can buy a base model car or a fully loaded car for much more. There is a cost to quality most the time.

Also Best Buy said they would price match, show them your cheap online knock off and give them a good laugh.

Last edited:
"Justify the cost?" They put a price tag on it and you either buy it or you don't! When you go to Home Depot, do they give you a printout of every employee's salary compared to last year to justify the fact that the box of nails is $11 instead of $10? No! Price is more or less based STRICTLY on what they think people are willing to pay. That's why cables and cords are so expensive at electronics stores: because they know people psychologically are OK with paying $40 for a cord when they just spent $800 on a TV. Go online and you'll find the same cord for $1 and you don't even have to leave your home!

The business just doesn’t put a random price on their goods and services, they calculate all the costs and then set their price so they can make a profit. The guy that manufactures the nails is going to charge what they need to charge to make a profit so they can stay in business, as business costs rise, the price of the nails rise. So if wages go up, the price of the nails will go up, if transportation costs go up, then the price goes up, if people won’t buy the nails and the business can’t make a profit, then the business needs to see if they can reduce costs or quit making the nails because they are not going to lose money.
Nobody said anything about a random price. The price is based on what (enough) people are willing pay. Some items might even be sold at a loss (loss leaders). Sellers don't just add a $ amount or % to the cost!

Once again, this is why cables are sold at such a high price (compared to the Internet) at local US stores. It's why different businesses can have strikingly different profit margins. Explain that one to me!

Link your for a$1 and tell me the store that’s sells the exact same one for $40.
1FT 3F 6FT 10FT 15FT USB 2.0 A Male Plug to MINI B 5 PIN Male Leads Cable Usable | eBay
10 ft, $2.86

AudioQuest - 10' USB A-to-Mini USB Cable - Black/Gray
10 ft, $249.99

Here's a "basic" one from them for $24.99:
Insignia™ - 10' Micro USB Charge-and-Sync Cable - Black

eBay $1.69:
3Ft 6Ft 10Ft Micro USB Data Sync Charging Braided Cable for Galaxy Android V8 | eBay

...and that's a pretty standard cable, too!

The one for $249 is not the same as the first one, the one for $1.10 is not made of silver, nor does it have the long grain copper. The two are very different in quality. I looked to see where the $249 one was made. The ones on eBay are a direct buy from China.
How do you know the one for $1.10 is not made of silver? And if it's not, how do you know it's not made of a superior material? Same goes for "long grain copper."

Sounds like you're willing to pay more for a better advertisement, which is precisely why they priced it the way they did.
I asked for exact same ones, now you got the link? I would never buy a cheap quality $1 knock off wanna be. That is what you gave me, the two for the lower price show a lack of quality just by reading the specs you can see the big difference.
Here's the same Insignia from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199256OO/?tag=ff0d01-20
Less than $9 (about 1/3 the price).
Transfer speed is rated for 480 Mbps.

Here's a better one from ebay for less.
Black/White USB 3.0 Type C Type-C Male Data Sync Charging Cable For New Macbook | eBay

Less than $3 and rated for 10Gbps.

The initial "rejoicing" by some Trump supporters regarding the imposition of tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, will (unfortunately) soon wear off.

Why???

Actually rather simple, the planned "tax" on imports will never match the lower costs of production in other countries such as Mexico, Canada, China, etc.......BUT, what that tax will certainly do, is raise the cost for all of us (including the domestic steel and aluminum workers') on cars, soda cans, airplane manufacturing, housing, etc.

Plus, the tariffs will surely trigger trade wars on some of our own exports as importers of our products will retaliate by making such products' prices (through their own tariffs) prohibitive for foreign buyers.

So, the "simple solutions" offered by Trump are just another example of his bravado to incite his dwindling base....but, like most things that Trump proposes the cheering and rejoicing will be short-lived even if such proposals were ever to materialize.

Agree.

.......and, as just ONE example, I just read that Canada will be imposing a tariff on U.S. wine exports......a billion dollar U.S. industry.

Why???

Spot on post, and one which even a trumpanzee might, maybe, possibly could understand:

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- If a trade war is coming, the cheesemakers of Wisconsin are standing in the line of fire. So are the farmers of the Great Plains and the distillers of Kentucky. And the employees of iconic American brands like Harley-Davidson and Levi Strauss.

"The likelihood of a trade conflagration leapt closer to reality this week after the United States imposed tariff on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union. Infuriated, the jilted U.S. allies vowed to retaliate with tariffs of their own. And in a separate dispute, China is poised to penalize $50 billion in U.S. goods — many of them produced by supporters of President Donald Trump in the America's agricultural heartland."

From distillers to farmers, trade war would cause casualties

Forum List

Back