Tariffs are a double-edged sword....

Trumps big tariff is no different than him raising taxes on consumers ..

manufacturers get hit with a increase in the production/distribution cost of their product, and pass that increase down to consumers/users ...
Not necessarily. Like I said, business are already run to maximize profit. So more likely than not the owners will eat the reduced profit.

exactly .. so now to keep their profit margin at max levels they raise their price to offset the increase and keep it there.
What does an increased tax have to do with being able to increase prices or reduce wages? If they set their prices at X and wages at Y, it was because consumers were not willing to pay more than X and workers weren't willing to work for less than Y. What does an increased corporate tax have to do with a consumer's willingness to pay more for an item or a worker's willingness to work for less?

there was no increase in tax - the tariff increased the distribution cost .. increased distribution costs are passed on to consumers = trump horse turd
Once again, business already charge as much as they can. It's how business works: to maximize profit.

So, taxing other countries for imports and that is bad as it will add to the cost of products.Taxing corporations and the rich is good as it will add to the cost of products.

Is this the left wing logic?
Why would taxing corporations add to the cost of products (I assume you mean the consumer's price)? Business are generally already operated to maximize profit, so they're already selling for the most and paying their workers the least. Logically, increasing taxes will only cut into the money that's left for the lazy layabouts/owners who inherited it.

In the business I’m in, when taxes go up we raise prices, we pass the cost to the consumer, I don’t know of a business that doesn’t raise the price when the cost of doing business goes up. So the cost is passed to the consumer.
So if your waiter screws up your order and has to redo it (which uses more time and food), your bill doubles?

manufacturers get hit with a increase in the production/distribution cost of their product, and pass that increase down to consumers/users ...
Not necessarily. Like I said, business are already run to maximize profit. So more likely than not the owners will eat the reduced profit.

exactly .. so now to keep their profit margin at max levels they raise their price to offset the increase and keep it there.
What does an increased tax have to do with being able to increase prices or reduce wages? If they set their prices at X and wages at Y, it was because consumers were not willing to pay more than X and workers weren't willing to work for less than Y. What does an increased corporate tax have to do with a consumer's willingness to pay more for an item or a worker's willingness to work for less?

Dear bgrouse
Look what happens when a company is faced with adding costs of health care benefits
to meet requirements. they either hire part time workers to cover the demands, or they reduce bonuses. They change the easiest factors they can control.

They can't just cut the salaries of their top mgmt,
because if they do, they lose their Experienced staff
who will seek better salaries at other companies
if the one they are at cannot compete with what the market can pay.
Bullshit! You think the CEO of Walmart is going to quit and go work for $10 / hour because his salary went down from $25 million to $24 million? Damn right they cut bonuses! The upper staff often collect from the profit in the form of bonuses to themselves.
If all companies end up having to raise prices,
then they can stay competitive. The shift goes there.

That's why when gas prices rise, so do the prices on food because of the trucking costs going up.
Since all prices across the market go up, then the companies remain competitive
with each other, at the prices the market will bear.

That's the easiest factor to change.
Just pass the buck to the consumer.
Since all companies are feeling the same impact,
they get away with it.

If consumers start buying cheaper online,
then more companies close their storefronts
and start consolidating that way.

BTW when "owners eat the reduced profit"
they still have to cut jobs and bonuses
because they don't have that extra revenue to work with.

So workers and thus consumers are STILL affected.

So if a waiter screws up, that cost is already averaged into the cost, of the food. Just like shoplifting is already averaged into the cost of goods. If you raise a companies taxes, they raise their cost as it i seems factored into the cost of doing business. Businesses don’t pay taxes they average it into the cost of the product or service. They are not going to accept a lower profit margin because of a tax.

We do cost averaging and all factors are considered into the price and the company I work for has a net profit % that we have to maintain. If taxes go up that is factored in and is passed on.

No business pays taxes, they pass it on to the consumer in the price.

Until now I felt that liberals just didn't give a shit about American jobs dying as other nations dump their products on us.

But now I understand that they not only don't give a shit about those jobs....they actively want America to have no industry and so be easy prey for their favorite dictators when the war comes. It's part of the preparations to ensure America loses!

Wow. That was a stupid post. We now know your opinion. But no one cares about your opinion, me boy. But, thanks for trying.

Your racist use of the term "boy" is noted and reported.

But, then, all liberals are...deep down...racists.

Until now I felt that liberals just didn't give a shit about American jobs dying as other nations dump their products on us.

But now I understand that they not only don't give a shit about those jobs....they actively want America to have no industry and so be easy prey for their favorite dictators when the war comes. It's part of the preparations to ensure America loses!

Wow. That was a stupid post. We now know your opinion. But no one cares about your opinion, me boy. But, thanks for trying.

Who is this "we" that passes judgement on HenryBHough? You may not like it, but many believe that manufacturing didn't have to die. It does seem like both repubs and libs give each other a high five every time a factory closes. It is bizarre watching the swamp come up with excuses why bowing to foreign interests is the way to go. It is almost like the global warming bs. It is a strange religion that America must be a patsy for the rest of the world.

stop candy coating Trumps horse turds - they're still horse turds.

If the tariff increases the cost of the steel in a new car by $175 as they claim, I’d bet real money the price on that car goes up by $500. Happens every time.

there was no increase in tax - the tariff increased the distribution cost .. increased distribution costs are passed on to consumers = trump horse turd
Once again, business already charge as much as they can. It's how business works: to maximize profit.

So, taxing other countries for imports and that is bad as it will add to the cost of products.Taxing corporations and the rich is good as it will add to the cost of products.

Why would taxing corporations add to the cost of products (I assume you mean the consumer's price)? Business are generally already operated to maximize profit, so they're already selling for the most and paying their workers the least. Logically, increasing taxes will only cut into the money that's left for the lazy layabouts/owners who inherited it.

In the business I’m in, when taxes go up we raise prices, we pass the cost to the consumer, I don’t know of a business that doesn’t raise the price when the cost of doing business goes up. So the cost is passed to the consumer.
So if your waiter screws up your order and has to redo it (which uses more time and food), your bill doubles?

Dear bgrouse
Look what happens when a company is faced with adding costs of health care benefits
to meet requirements. they either hire part time workers to cover the demands, or they reduce bonuses. They change the easiest factors they can control.

Bullshit! You think the CEO of Walmart is going to quit and go work for $10 / hour because his salary went down from $25 million to $24 million? Damn right they cut bonuses! The upper staff often collect from the profit in the form of bonuses to themselves.

That's why when gas prices rise, so do the prices on food because of the trucking costs going up.

they get away with it.

So if a waiter screws up, that cost is already averaged into the cost, of the food. Just like shoplifting is already averaged into the cost of goods. If you raise a companies taxes, they raise their cost as it i seems factored into the cost of doing business. Businesses don’t pay taxes they average it into the cost of the product or service. They are not going to accept a lower profit margin because of a tax.

We do cost averaging and all factors are considered into the price and the company I work for has a net profit % that we have to maintain. If taxes go up that is factored in and is passed on.

If they could raise prices and get away with it (meaning keep the customer), why didn't they do it without the increase in taxes? Are they just being really nice?

Dear bgrouse

they get away with it.

If they could raise prices and get away with it (meaning keep the customer), why didn't they do it without the increase in taxes? Are they just being really nice?

Companies can justify the cost, they don’t like shrinking profit margins. Just like when tariffs increase, those companies will raise their prices.

The initial "rejoicing" by some Trump supporters regarding the imposition of tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, will (unfortunately) soon wear off.

Why???

Actually rather simple, the planned "tax" on imports will never match the lower costs of production in other countries such as Mexico, Canada, China, etc.......BUT, what that tax will certainly do, is raise the cost for all of us (including the domestic steel and aluminum workers') on cars, soda cans, airplane manufacturing, housing, etc.

Plus, the tariffs will surely trigger trade wars on some of our own exports as importers of our products will retaliate by making such products' prices (through their own tariffs) prohibitive for foreign buyers.

So, the "simple solutions" offered by Trump are just another example of his bravado to incite his dwindling base....but, like most things that Trump proposes the cheering and rejoicing will be short-lived even if such proposals were ever to materialize.
Oh...your post was not “merged?”

The initial "rejoicing" by some Trump supporters regarding the imposition of tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, will (unfortunately) soon wear off.

Why???

Actually rather simple, the planned "tax" on imports will never match the lower costs of production in other countries such as Mexico, Canada, China, etc.......BUT, what that tax will certainly do, is raise the cost for all of us (including the domestic steel and aluminum workers') on cars, soda cans, airplane manufacturing, housing, etc.

Plus, the tariffs will surely trigger trade wars on some of our own exports as importers of our products will retaliate by making such products' prices (through their own tariffs) prohibitive for foreign buyers.

So, the "simple solutions" offered by Trump are just another example of his bravado to incite his dwindling base....but, like most things that Trump proposes the cheering and rejoicing will be short-lived even if such proposals were ever to materialize.
You have never worked a day on your life in the steel industry...so don’t comment with Democratic Party talking points.

Why???

Fuck American workers...that’s what liberals are about. We want more gay pride parades and less jobs for Americans. We want more Ferguson,Missouri and burned out communities, we want want more angst and hatred because we are the left wing bullshit of American politics. We are not mature...we feel that the whole nation should be like a college campus. Ignorant and scared of the truth.

Yep. Democrats left me, my family, and millions of other voters. They will suffer in 2018 and 2020.

Dear bgrouse

they get away with it.

Companies can justify the cost, they don’t like shrinking profit margins. Just like when tariffs increase, those companies will raise their prices.
"Justify the cost?" They put a price tag on it and you either buy it or you don't! When you go to Home Depot, do they give you a printout of every employee's salary compared to last year to justify the fact that the box of nails is $11 instead of $10? No! Price is more or less based STRICTLY on what they think people are willing to pay. That's why cables and cords are so expensive at electronics stores: because they know people psychologically are OK with paying $40 for a cord when they just spent $800 on a TV. Go online and you'll find the same cord for $1 and you don't even have to leave your home!

Dear bgrouse
they get away with it.
"Justify the cost?" They put a price tag on it and you either buy it or you don't! When you go to Home Depot, do they give you a printout of every employee's salary compared to last year to justify the fact that the box of nails is $11 instead of $10? No! Price is more or less based STRICTLY on what they think people are willing to pay. That's why cables and cords are so expensive at electronics stores: because they know people psychologically are OK with paying $40 for a cord when they just spent $800 on a TV. Go online and you'll find the same cord for $1 and you don't even have to leave your home!

The business just doesn’t put a random price on their goods and services, they calculate all the costs and then set their price so they can make a profit. The guy that manufactures the nails is going to charge what they need to charge to make a profit so they can stay in business, as business costs rise, the price of the nails rise. So if wages go up, the price of the nails will go up, if transportation costs go up, then the price goes up, if people won’t buy the nails and the business can’t make a profit, then the business needs to see if they can reduce costs or quit making the nails because they are not going to lose money.

The business just doesn’t put a random price on their goods and services, they calculate all the costs and then set their price so they can make a profit. The guy that manufactures the nails is going to charge what they need to charge to make a profit so they can stay in business, as business costs rise, the price of the nails rise. So if wages go up, the price of the nails will go up, if transportation costs go up, then the price goes up, if people won’t buy the nails and the business can’t make a profit, then the business needs to see if they can reduce costs or quit making the nails because they are not going to lose money.
Nobody said anything about a random price. The price is based on what (enough) people are willing pay. Some items might even be sold at a loss (loss leaders). Sellers don't just add a $ amount or % to the cost!

Once again, this is why cables are sold at such a high price (compared to the Internet) at local US stores. It's why different businesses can have strikingly different profit margins. Explain that one to me!

Why???

I read the EU is already talking about retaliatory tariffs, for example for Harleys and Levis.

Harleys are expensive and the new ones are very much a luxury item, but lots of people still buy jeans.

"Double edged sword" and "unintended consequences". The left doesn't have any solutions, just cliches. We have a President who has the balls to try to make things better for the American worker and all the left has is hate speech and double talk after the eight years of stagnation of the Obama administration. What did we get for the billion dollars and boxcars of freaking U.S. dollars and euros showered on Iran in an insane "nuclear treaty" that nobody can figure out even today?

Nobody said anything about a random price. The price is based on what (enough) people are willing pay. Some items might even be sold at a loss (loss leaders). Sellers don't just add a $ amount or % to the cost!

Once again, this is why cables are sold at such a high price (compared to the Internet) at local US stores. It's why different businesses can have strikingly different profit margins. Explain that one to me!

Link your for a$1 and tell me the store that’s sells the exact same one for $40.

Link your for a$1 and tell me the store that’s sells the exact same one for $40.
/——/ I don’t know about $1 but I get a power cord for my iPhone at 7-11 for $5 while the iPhone store sells it for $35. The only difference is the knock off displays s message on the phone that the cord is not supported by the phone. I click ok and the phone charges.

/——/ I don’t know about $1 but I get a power cord for my iPhone at 7-11 for $5 while the iPhone store sells it for $35. The only difference is the knock off displays s message on the phone that the cord is not supported by the phone. I click ok and the phone charges.

Mine eventually will quit charging or it won’t fast charge.

1FT 3F 6FT 10FT 15FT USB 2.0 A Male Plug to MINI B 5 PIN Male Leads Cable Usable | eBay
10 ft, $2.86

AudioQuest - 10' USB A-to-Mini USB Cable - Black/Gray
10 ft, $249.99

Here's a "basic" one from them for $24.99:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...-and-sync-cable-black/5879005.p?skuId=5879005

eBay $1.69:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Ft-6Ft-10...ided-Cable-for-Galaxy-Android-V8/162249266120

...and that's a pretty standard cable, too!

Forum List

Back