🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Tariffs Would Aid Steelworkers at Expense of Far More Others

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
“Trump’s move to impose tariffs on imported steel is meant to protect an industry that employs about 140,000 Americans. Yet by raising the price of steel, those same tariffs stand to hurt a far larger group of U.S. workers: the 6.5 million who work in industries that buy steel — from automakers to aircraft manufacturers to suppliers of building materials.”

Tariffs would aid steelworkers at expense of far more others

And no, trade wars are not ‘easy to win.’

“Trump’s move to impose tariffs on imported steel is meant to protect an industry that employs about 140,000 Americans. Yet by raising the price of steel, those same tariffs stand to hurt a far larger group of U.S. workers: the 6.5 million who work in industries that buy steel — from automakers to aircraft manufacturers to suppliers of building materials.”

Yes, one company has already said it won't now be opening up a new factory because of this.

And according to the BBC it's 83,600 workers, not 140,000.

The US imports its steel from these places:

_100248611_chart-ussteel-r4oup-nc.png

Canada and the EU are the biggest, and also the US's biggest allies.

Yes, the US imports more steel than it exports, but 50% of the steel it exports go to Canada at 3.8 MMT (Million Metric Tons).

So, steel prices will rise because US steel has been noncompetitive. It will make some jobs in steel, but it will lose many more jobs elsewhere as things become more expensive, people have less money to spend.

If someone thinks that those old steel mills that once employed thousands are going to reopen they`ll be disappointed. I retired from a mill that employed 4,500 when my father worked there. When I was hired in 1972 there were 3,200 workers and when I retired in 20006 there were 1,100. Today there are 600 producing the same number of tons as they did in 1960. Most manufacturing jobs that have been lost were lost to technology. If ATI hadn`t invested $1.2 billion in the world`s most advanced hot rolling mill there wouldn`t be any jobs left there at all. This is what a modern steel mill looks like.
ati mill brackenridge photo - Bing images

If someone thinks that those old steel mills that once employed thousands are going to reopen they`ll be disappointed. I retired from a mill that employed 4,500 when my father worked there. When I was hired in 1972 there were 3,200 workers and when I retired in 20006 there were 1,100. Today there are 600 producing the same number of tons as they did in 1960. Most manufacturing jobs that have been lost were lost to technology. If ATI hadn`t invested $1.2 billion in the world`s most advanced hot rolling mill there wouldn`t be any jobs left there at all. This is what a modern steel mill looks like.

This is the thing. New jobs are in other areas, like making robots, fixing robots, dealing with robots.

The US needs to move education towards giving people the skills they'll need for the future, not looking to the past and hoping it'll come back.

Trump just did it for imported steel and Aluminum. The Steel Workers Union is happy which makes the Ironworkers Union more than happy. You need Helium to weld Aluminum and the only place in the US and the world which has Helium deposits is in the panhandle of Texas and they are about to run out of Helium. Helium is an inert element.

Is he that jealous of Trudeau, his youth and good looks, he knows darn well where most of our steel and aluminum comes from.

This thread seems to lack the essential qualities that the flat earthers bring to every discussion of Trumps screw ups.

Trump did not ban imported copper which is essential in the beer making process.
Should Trump ban imported copper then go back to glass beer bottles. There are gobs of silica in the US and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Trump did not ban imported copper which is essential in the beer making process.
Should Trump ban imported copper then go back to glass beer bottles. There are gobs of silica in the US and there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Whether it`s beer or soft drinks, the producers wouldn`t want the added weight of shipping their products in bottles, most of which wouldn`t be recycled. I would never want to return to the days when broken bottles littered the landscape.

Forum List

Back