Tea Party, we hardly knew ye

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
I think they were co-opted by the Republican Establishment (capitalist cronyism) before they even had a chance

The Tea Party, four years later - First Read
Four years later, that splash looks more like pebble thrown into a pond.

Yesterday, Tea Party groups held events tied to this year’s Tax Day. The group FreedomWorks, for example, organized an "action day" at the U.S. Capitol (which took place before the Boston bombings).

But judged by its sparse attendance -- dozens, not thousands, attended the FreedomWorks rally --

Repub Establishment types must be happy :) They can keep railing at the government while getting rich off of their association w/ said gov't (see DeMint)

Last edited:
I think they were co-opted by the Republican Establishment (capitalist cronyism) before they even had a chance

Yesterday, Tea Party groups held events tied to this year’s Tax Day. The group FreedomWorks, for example, organized an "action day" at the U.S. Capitol (which took place before the Boston bombings).

But judged by its sparse attendance -- dozens, not thousands, attended the FreedomWorks rally --

Repub Establishment types must be happy :)

FOX news estimated the crowd to be close to 900,000.

Yes, the GOP snatched up the movement and used them to sling birther, Ayers, Rev. Wright mud in the hopes that none of it would splash back on them. But the movement bit them in the butt.

But I will miss all those cute tri-corner hats and misspelled signs.

Last edited:

Repub Establishment types must be happy :) They can keep railing at the government while getting rich off of their association w/ said gov't (see DeMint)

I'm not really sure that helps us (the gop). Earmarks were abused for sure, but they were really the only way some small states got needed infrastructure. States Rights is not a winning forumula when latinos are an emerging force.

If it was just about fiscal conservatism, it'd be ok. But, it's coopted into a protecting the 1% tax shelters. And the teaparty was largely made up of 50 year old and above white people. Not a winning formula.

Yeah, but some of the douche bags they elected are still obstructing in the House.
not to mention the senate (Cruz)

I'm not really sure that helps us (the gop). Earmarks were abused for sure, but they were really the only way some small states got needed infrastructure. States Rights is not a winning forumula when latinos are an emerging force.

If it was just about fiscal conservatism, it'd be ok. But, it's coopted into a protecting the 1% tax shelters. And the teaparty was largely made up of 50 year old and above white people. Not a winning formula.

good point(s)

The tea party, not being the types to shit in the street or on police cars is hardly noticed.

The Tea Party: We're batshit crazy, but at least we don't litter!

Yeah, but some of the douche bags they elected are still obstructing in the House.

You mean Joe Donnelly?*

*Indiana Republican Senator Richard Lugar was defeated for re-election during the GOP primary by the Tea Party. The Tea Party's choice then went on to lose in the general election to...Democrat Joe Donnelly. So the Tea Party elected Joe Donnelly, basically.

Last edited:

You mean Joe Donnelly?*

*Indiana Republican Senator Richard Lugar was defeated for re-election during the GOP primary by the Tea Party. The Tea Party's choice then went on to lose in the general election to...Democrat Joe Donnelly. So the Tea Party elected Joe Donnelly, basically.

Sadly, Repubs are limited to governing/campaigning for Primary challenges. Who can be the most "extreme conservative" Actually helps Democrats :) From the article:

But the same energy and enthusiasm that moved the GOP to the right also contributed to the party losing winnable Senate seats in 2010 and 2012 (like in Colorado, Delaware, Indiana, and Nevada).

Last edited:

Or, more likely, there never really was a ‘tea party’ to begin with.

Or, more likely, there never really was a ‘tea party’ to begin with.

Groups like FreedomWorks, for instance, was an astroturf organization from the get-go yes.

Forum List

Back