Teacher fired for racist comments

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Ohio teacher loses job for racist comment

FAIRFIELD, Ohio — A suburban Cincinnati teacher, accused of making a racist remark to a black student, lost his job after a labor hearing.

Gil Voigt, a Fairfield Freshman School science teacher since 2000, has been on unpaid leave since December when he told a student who had professed his desire to follow in the footsteps of President Barack Obama that "we do not need another black president."

"There is good and just cause to terminate the teaching contract," a state referee said Thursday in a letter to the Fairfield Board of Education. The board voted 4-0 with one board member absent to end his employment with the Butler County school system.

Voigt declined to comment but previously said the student, whom he has described as troublesome, misquoted him in the Dec. 3 incident.

He later told Fairfield officials that what he said to the teen was "I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."

A previous review of Voigt's personnel file showed that in 2008 he was accused of calling a student an "African-American Rudolph" while aiming a laser pointer at the pupil, in 2013 he received a verbal warning after being accused of calling one student "stupid" and others "gay," and in December he was warned for failing to use the adopted curriculum.

Fairfield Superintendent Paul Otten also recommended Thursday that the board discontinue the veteran teacher's employment contract.

It is obviously about more than one comment. It's clear from his personnel file he's had a series of inappropriate behavior and comments: not following the curriculum, calling students stupid, making racist and homophobic comments. There is plenty of reason to fire this guy.

This is a tough one for some rw's because they hate teachers but love racists.

I don't believe that one person of a certain race can speak for the rest of the race's members.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. To me, what that teacher said was over the line.

Too true. If this topic were about a teacher who was accused of: not following the curriculum, of calling students stupid, and of making homophobic comments, the right wingers would be all over this thread attacking the administration for firing him and blaming it on liberals and progressives.

They are merciless when it comes to criticizing teachers, but this guy would be a hero in their eyes.

you're so full of shit. you can't ever create a thread without slinging shit at your political opponents.

[MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION]

That's right.

Now, read what I wrote.

I slung shit at "some rw's".

Now, look again. If you squint your eyes, you might be able to read the word,

SOME

See it now?

IOW, there are some rw's I don't sling shit at. Same with christians, btw. I have no respect for the fakes who post here but great admiration and respect for the real thing.

If the shoe fits, wear it. Otherwise, there is nothing for you to be upset about because you and every other poster here, does exactly the same thing - they sling shit at their opponents.

Except of course, there are those who sling shit at ALL liberals. That's a shoe that would fit you quite well.

you're so full of shit. you can't ever create a thread without slinging shit at your political opponents.

[MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION]

That's right.

Now, read what I wrote.

I slung shit at "some rw's".

Now, look again. If you squint your eyes, you might be able to read the word,

SOME

See it now?

IOW, there are some rw's I don't sling shit at. Same with christians, btw. I have no respect for the fakes who post here but great admiration and respect for the real thing.

If the shoe fits, wear it. Otherwise, there is nothing for you to be upset about because you and every other poster here, does exactly the same thing - they sling shit at their opponents.

Except of course, there are those who sling shit at ALL liberals. That's a shoe that would fit you quite well.

did i say you said all? nope...i simply said your political opponents.

my comment is 100% accurate. you slung shit at your political opponents, saying some does not negate the fact you had to sling bullshit.

FAIRFIELD, Ohio — A suburban Cincinnati teacher, accused of making a racist remark to a black student, lost his job after a labor hearing.

Gil Voigt, a Fairfield Freshman School science teacher since 2000, has been on unpaid leave since December when he told a student who had professed his desire to follow in the footsteps of President Barack Obama that "we do not need another black president."

"There is good and just cause to terminate the teaching contract," a state referee said Thursday in a letter to the Fairfield Board of Education. The board voted 4-0 with one board member absent to end his employment with the Butler County school system.

Voigt declined to comment but previously said the student, whom he has described as troublesome, misquoted him in the Dec. 3 incident.

He later told Fairfield officials that what he said to the teen was "I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."

A previous review of Voigt's personnel file showed that in 2008 he was accused of calling a student an "African-American Rudolph" while aiming a laser pointer at the pupil, in 2013 he received a verbal warning after being accused of calling one student "stupid" and others "gay," and in December he was warned for failing to use the adopted curriculum.

Fairfield Superintendent Paul Otten also recommended Thursday that the board discontinue the veteran teacher's employment contract.
So, they changed the story, eh?

Originally, the Teacher said, "we don't need another President like Barak Obama."

This has been changed to, "we don't need another black President."

Dishonesty in the media.....who'd have thought it possible....

Originally, the Teacher said, "we don't need another President like Barak Obama."

You don't read very well. No one changed the story. One is the teacher's version, the other is the student's version. Either way, the teacher is inappropriate. He should not be expousing his political views to the students: his job is to teach them HOW to think, not what to think. Telling them he doesn't like Obama is not part of his job and is inappropriate.

It's too bad the teacher didn't instead have sex with the student, because then he could have been the new poster child for diversity and tolerance.

You don't read very well. No one changed the story. One is the teacher's version, the other is the student's version. Either way, the teacher is inappropriate. He should not be expousing his political views to the students: his job is to teach them HOW to think, not what to think. Telling them he doesn't like Obama is not part of his job and is inappropriate.
Really? Do you take the exact same attitude when teachers express outrage at conservative issues and positions?

The story (before they rewrote it) was as I said it was. The teacher did NOT say we don't need another black president. BTW...I read much better than 95% of the people on this forum.

Now, you show Me your outrage at teachers who tell students what to think when they tell them that George Bush was a horrible President and that he committed crimes.

Go ahead....

Really? Do you take the exact same attitude when teachers express outrage at conservative issues and positions?

The story (before they rewrote it) was as I said it was. The teacher did NOT say we don't need another black president. BTW...I read much better than 95% of the people on this forum.

Now, you show Me your outrage at teachers who tell students what to think when they tell them that George Bush was a horrible President and that he committed crimes.

Go ahead....

You are an imbecile. The story has always stated the student said black president. What the teacher says is different. There is no way of knowing who is being most truthful. But the teacher has a history of using the term 'gay' in a derogative way, of calling students stupid, & of making other racist remarks, so it isn't difficult to believe the student. As well, he should not be discussing his political views with the students; that's not his role.

Also, if he had been talking about how horrible Bush was, you'd be totally against him. So, you are not in any position to say I'm being partisan. You'd be a whole lot more partisan than I am. I don't approve of teachers discussing their personal political views, no matter whom or what they support.

Too true. If this topic were about a teacher who was accused of: not following the curriculum, of calling students stupid, and of making homophobic comments, the right wingers would be all over this thread attacking the administration for firing him and blaming it on liberals and progressives.

They are merciless when it comes to criticizing teachers, but this guy would be a hero in their eyes.

Wrong again, but thanks for playing.

Holy shit, you've never been on the campus of an American university have you ?

Invalidate his retirement. Send back the retirement money he contributed, without interest, and terminate from the system.

leftist unions thugs think they can get away with anything

He should have made racist comments about whites, he would have got promoted

leftist unions thugs think they can get away with anything

Nope, good Americans don't let bad Americans get away it.

Invalidate his retirement. Send back the retirement money he contributed, without interest, and terminate from the system.

invalidate his retirement? you're not a republican by any standard. he has a vested contract right to that retirement. no way a republican believes otherwise. what he did, if true, was wrong, and you don't even know if it is true, that does not mean he doesn't get his retirement.

sorry jake, but your far leftist views are wrong again.

Forum List

Back