Teacher will have to answer for banning Bible from classroom.

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"On April 8, Thomas told Giovanni he’s not allowed to read the Bible in her class and ordered him to put it away. Giovanni asked her to call his father, Paul Rubeo, about the incident.
Thomas did so, leaving a voicemail that included, “I noticed that he [Giovanni] has a book—a religious book—in the classroom. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.” Rubeo then contacted the school’s principal, Orinthia Dias, who brought in the school’s legal department. None of them are willing to acknowledge that Giovanni has a constitutional right to read the Bible.

"So Rubeo retained Liberty Institute to assert Giovanni’s First Amendment rights. Liberty Institute has now sent a demand letter to Broward County Public Schools and is holding a public event this afternoon at the federal courthouse in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

“Banning religious books like the Bible violates Giovanni’s civil rights to religious free speech and free exercise,” said Hiram Sasser, Liberty Institute Director of Litigation. “The school’s actions exemplify the hostility to religion that the U.S. Supreme Court has condemned.”

FL Teacher Banned Bible from 'Free Reading' Time in Classroom

you dont have the right to free speech in schools....youve been told this over and over again.

The Dept. of Education maintains that students have the right to read their bibles at school.

So bugger off.

A 5th grader is reading the bible at school for free time?

Well I'll be damned.

Pun intended :D

The school can't show support of..or hostility against religious expression. That means if a kid wants to read a bible during their free reading time, they get to.

The school district will either have to come out and say that bibles are banned, or admit they were wrong.

If teachers don't like their students reading the word of the Lord, well then the teachers can be who get up and leave!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless you and that boy always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

If teachers don't like their students reading the word of the Lord, well then the teachers can be who get up and leave!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless you and that boy always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I don't think it is that simple anymore.

Broward County, FL---Palm Beach area I think.

^^^ If it were my kid being bullied by a teacher of all people, that teacher would be looking for another job.

God bless you and the boy always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

^^^ If it were my kid being bullied by a teacher of all people, that teacher would be looking for another job.

God bless you and the boy always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I didn't read the article. Sometimes there are other issues involved in such incidents.

It makes me wonder--had there been a previous confrontation on this?

Things seem to be very different now from my long ago experiences in school. I had enough to do to academically and I am glad I didn't have to worry about my sex life or constitutional issues. Or deal with physical assault--a video was shown locally of a larger student beating a smaller one---two days suspension for the aggressor. I would have thought 'expulsion'--but such was not the case.

I read the article. This took place in Broward County, Texas.

Not much for me to say---unless this is the school system's policy--the teacher sounds insane.

Tired of school related incidents.

In the days of 'Leave It to Beaver'--we pledged the flag every morning--fairly certain that was followed by the Lord's Prayer--cannot really remember. Beyond that--no discussion of religion. Everybody went to church every Sunday----what can be said.

My community is still moderate---some conservatives and some liberals. I can't think of an incident that might compare to those that seem to occur frequently in other areas. I would wager my school district would not support the decision of the system in TX.

A 5th grader is reading the bible at school for free time?

Well I'll be damned.

Pun intended :D

No you won't.

;)

Be that as it may, I'm against the banning of any book but the usual suspects would not be up in arms if the kid was Muslim and had a Quran.

Not much for me to say---unless this is the school system's policy--the teacher sounds insane.

In the days of 'Leave It to Beaver'--we pledged the flag every morning--fairly certain that was followed by the Lord's Prayer--cannot really remember. Beyond that--no discussion of religion. Everybody went to church every Sunday----what can be said.

My community is still moderate---some conservatives and some liberals. I can't think of an incident that might compare to those that seem to occur frequently in other areas. I would wager my school district would not support the decision of the system in TX.

Pledging allegiance and/or marching off to a church like a bunch of good little brown shirts means nothing. And, Leave it to Beaver was fiction.

Schools have changed in a lot of ways, some for the better but much is very negative. No Child Left Behind was the beginning of the worst. We've got to end this teaching to the test. We need to pay teachers what they're worth or accept below-average people teaching our kids.

And, we need parents to go back to supporting the school and the teacher instead of undermining every move they make.

Pledging allegiance and/or marching off to a church like a bunch of good little brown shirts means nothing. And, Leave it to Beaver was fiction.

Schools have changed in a lot of ways, some for the better but much is very negative. No Child Left Behind was the beginning of the worst. We've got to end this teaching to the test. We need to pay teachers what they're worth or accept below-average people teaching our kids.

And, we need parents to go back to supporting the school and the teacher instead of undermining every move they make.

I cannot apologize for my experience--I attempted to point out that things seemed simpler---to me they were. We went to school to work---religious matters were handled in church and or synagogues. And yes, I am fairly certain that the State had policies in place regarding religion----it wasn't an issue. Long, long time ago--maybe it never happened? Families were stable--people seemed to get along--sounds like a fantasy.

Not so sure I would be supportive of this teacher. Sounds like she has strong personal beliefs---but then the article was not comprehensive, again.

From what I heard, the school district has 10 days to apologize, otherwise legal action will commence. There is no such school policy of banning the bible in schools, never has been. I hope this case sets a precedent that you cannot makes up your own rules as you go along, especially if these rules are in direct violation of the constitution. You'd think school teachers would be smarter than that, but I guess there will always be exceptions.

Forum List

Back