Teacher will have to answer for banning Bible from classroom.

Free reading time sounds like it means you can read whatever you choose. Including Hitler's Mien Kampf. Although I imagine that would be banned, right?

I'm not certain what age a person can fully comprehend books such as Mien Kampf and The Communist Manifesto, but we should be encouraging everyone to read them at some point. How can we have honest debate without knowledge?? To be reasonable, an elementary teacher should not permit a book about bomb building or The Kama Sutra, but banning the reading of The Bible, The Torah, The Kuran, or The Vedas is hostile intolerance towards religion.

The point I was trying to make is about which books do you decide are acceptable for 'free reading'? Some might say that young children cannot comprehend The Bible, but allow them to read something else they cannot comprehend.
Who decides what is appropriate reading material?

I wouldn't ban something just because I assumed it was above their comprehension level. Does everything have to be such a production, or have people lost the ability to use common sense?? Fifty years ago even an Atheist teacher wouldn't have challenged a student's choice to read The Bible during free reading time, but it's becoming more and more acceptable to be openly intolerant towards people of faith.

Free reading time sounds like it means you can read whatever you choose. Including Hitler's Mien Kampf. Although I imagine that would be banned, right?

I'm not certain what age a person can fully comprehend books such as Mien Kampf and The Communist Manifesto, but we should be encouraging everyone to read them at some point. How can we have honest debate without knowledge?? To be reasonable, an elementary teacher should not permit a book about bomb building or The Kama Sutra, but banning the reading of The Bible, The Torah, The Kuran, or The Vedas is hostile intolerance towards religion.

The point I was trying to make is about which books do you decide are acceptable for 'free reading'? Some might say that young children cannot comprehend The Bible, but allow them to read something else they cannot comprehend.
Who decides what is appropriate reading material?

What business is it of yours what he does or does not read? He can read whatever he feels comfortable with, which is, in this case the Bible. I thought tolerance of others is a principle the left lives by?

Last edited:
I disagree with the teacher's actions for two reasons: (1) Allowing ALL books EXCEPT religious ones to be read during the free reading period constitutes a violation of the U.S. Constitutional; and (2) The young boy was in the fifth grade and children at that stage should be encouraged to read. The Bible was the child's favorite book and the teacher should have been delighted that he found a book which captured his interest. The following is from the link provided:

“Giovanni Rubeo is a fifth-grade student at the school, who had been given a Bible at church as a Christmas gift. It’s his favorite book, so he decided he’d like to read it during the time in class where students are allowed to read anything they choose.

“Swornia Thomas is Giovanni’s teacher. On April 8, Thomas told Giovanni he’s not allowed to read the Bible in her class and ordered him to put it away. Giovanni asked her to call his father, Paul Rubeo, about the incident.

“Thomas did so, leaving a voicemail that included, “I noticed that he [Giovanni] has a book—a religious book—in the classroom. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.” Rubeo then contacted the school’s principal, Orinthia Dias, who brought in the school’s legal department. None of them are willing to acknowledge that Giovanni has a constitutional right to read the Bible.”

FL Teacher Banned Bible from 'Free Reading' Time in Classroom

I don't see any gray areas concerning the violation of the child’s First Amendment rights. While no child has a Constitutional right to read the Bible during a class such as math or even a study period (students are usually instructed that the study period is for school work only), excluding religious books from a class when all other literature is permitted - whether related to school work or not – will not pass constitutional muster. At least not in my humble opinion.

This is what I have been thinking.

I just can't quite grasp that this one teacher has the authority to decide that a religious book cannot be read in her class. It seems like the system would have a policy on this??

If there had been some previous problems with religious books at this school --that would be helpful information to include. There just has to be some underlying reason.

Is she some sort of passionate English literature teacher---are other books approved or not approved? It sounds like she has made her life quite complicated.
~~~~~~~
no--after reading the letter from the Dept of Civil Rights/attorneys that were contacted---she is a fifth grade teacher.
Now what surprises me is that a fifth grade class would have a 90 minute period of free reading. Possibly part of some special reading program. 20 minutes or a half hour of free reading---would be more typical for that age child.

a bit more insight---

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/05/teachers-ban-on-reading-bibles-in-class-sparks-protest-change/

<&#8220;Good morning, Mr. Rubeo,&#8221; says a woman. &#8220;Giovanni called you because I asked him to. I noticed that he had a book, a religious book, in the classroom. He&#8217;s not permitted to read those books in my classroom. He said if I told him to put it away, you said not to do that. So please give me a call. I need to have some understanding on direction to him about the book he&#8217;s reading opposed to the curriculum for public school. Ms. S. Thomas. Thank you. Have a wonderful day. Bye, bye.&#8221;

Giovanni and his lawyer claim Giovanni was told on multiple occasions that he couldn&#8217;t read the Bible during free-reading time. In April, the boy&#8217;s dad went to the principal.

He says he got a letter stating Giovanni can read the Bible before and after school and during lunch. It makes no mention of free reading time.

&#8220;This is an egregious violation of the Constitution, as well as a very terrible violation of the United Sates Department of Education policy,&#8221; said Rubeo&#8217;s attorney Jeremiah Dys. &#8220;Students do not shed their constitutional rights when they enter through the schoolhouse gates.&#8221;

The Broward School District claimed it was told Giovanni was reading the Bible when he should have been reading an assigned book, not during free-reading time. The district stressed that any student may read the Bible, or any other religious book, during free time.

The boy&#8217;s father says he wants an apology from the school.

&#8220;This is your kids, too, it&#8217;s not just my son,&#8221; said Paul Rubeo. &#8220;To be able to read their Bible during free-reading time, there comes a point in life when you have to stand up for what&#8217;s right and what&#8217;s wrong.&#8221;

The district wouldn&#8217;t comment on what, if any, consequences the teacher might face. Giovanni says there has been no free-reading time, recently, so he hasn&#8217;t been reading his Bible at school.

CBS4&#8242;s Gaby Fleischman stopped by Mrs. Thomas&#8217; home. Her husband told us she was not there and asked: &#8220;What the [expletive] do you want?&#8221;

Gaby responded that we want to speak to Mrs. Thomas&#8217; to hear her side of the story.

&#8220;She ain&#8217;t got nothing to say to you, she ain&#8217;t got nothing to say,&#8221; responded her husband. &#8220;Get me on camera, get the [expletive] out of my yard.&#8221;
>

Last edited:
"The Broward School District claimed it was told Giovanni was reading the Bible when he should have been reading an assigned book, not during free-reading time. The district stressed that any student may read the Bible, or any other religious book, during free time."

Teacher?s Bible Ban In Class Sparks Protest & Change « CBS Miami

I noticed that. Sounds like this teacher has created a nightmare for herself.

Who knows? 90 minutes of free reading---I cannot imagine---that a class of fifth graders could or would read silently for that long--that the daily schedule could be adapted for extended free reading. And so much more.

and then--
'Park Lakes Elementary hasn't had free reading in a while'---should be an interesting summer for the staff of Park Lakes---or that particular teacher at least.

"I just can't quite grasp that this one teacher has the authority to decide that a religious book cannot be read in her class. It seems like the system would have a policy on this??"

Teachers are authority figures and are in charge of the class room and its activities, within the guidelines of the school district handbook.

If it was free time, the teacher was wrong. If there was an assigned book to read, then it was not free time, and the teacher was right.

I know a teacher in an East Texas school district in her fourth grade class has a picture of Jesus surrounded by lambs on the wall next to her desk. Each lamb has the face of one of the children in her class.

Is that going over the line?

"I just can't quite grasp that this one teacher has the authority to decide that a religious book cannot be read in her class. It seems like the system would have a policy on this??"

Teachers are authority figures and are in charge of the class room and its activities, within the guidelines of the school district handbook.

If it was free time, the teacher was wrong. If there was an assigned book to read, then it was not free time, and the teacher was right.

I know a teacher in an East Texas school district in her fourth grade class has a picture of Jesus surrounded by lambs on the wall next to her desk. Each lamb has the face of one of the children in her class.

Is that going over the line?

I taught for many years. Maybe I was a 'different' sort of teacher---I would have been fully informed on the system's policies, I can assure you of that.

I taught fifth grade---fwiw. I know there are now programs that include free reading but honestly cannot imagine a 90 minute period --which is perhaps not an issue for this discussion.

Before the 'free reading' ever began--if there were guidelines--that is another matter. I have found nothing on this.

senseless to speculate--let the attorneys resolve this matter.

~~~~~
Whatever works for East Texas---and whatever works for any other school system--go for it.

I would never have wished to be the teachers featured in many of these stories. Would have found some other way.

Giovanni Rubeo is a fifth-grade student at the school, who had been given a Bible at church as a Christmas gift. It’s his favorite book, so he decided he’d like to read it during the time in class where students are allowed to read anything they choose.

A good teacher would support a child's choice, especially if it's encouraging them to READ. She should keep her personal opinion out of it, and if the religious aspect bothers her, then just take the stance that many other people do and view it as a piece of literature. Mostly I think she's a bitch for attempting to humiliate and shame a child for his choice in front of his classmates...teaching that practicing faith should be something done in secret for fear of offending others.
The child has the right to have a bible. He is allowed to assemble before and after school in a group on school grounds. Not during. (Granted he didn't here).
He does not have the right to free speech in public schools.
Is the teacher being silly over a book? Yes but there is no free speech issue here.

I am still convinced there is more to the story.

In the future--it might be a good idea to provide a reading list. It is very difficult to imagine this sort of scenario.

Giovanni Rubeo is a fifth-grade student at the school, who had been given a Bible at church as a Christmas gift. It’s his favorite book, so he decided he’d like to read it during the time in class where students are allowed to read anything they choose.

A good teacher would support a child's choice, especially if it's encouraging them to READ. She should keep her personal opinion out of it, and if the religious aspect bothers her, then just take the stance that many other people do and view it as a piece of literature. Mostly I think she's a bitch for attempting to humiliate and shame a child for his choice in front of his classmates...teaching that practicing faith should be something done in secret for fear of offending others.
The child has the right to have a bible. He is allowed to assemble before and after school in a group on school grounds. Not during. (Granted he didn't here).
Is the teacher being silly over a book? Yes but there is no free speech issue here.

I think you may be mistaking greater restrictions on speech being allowed to a total suppression of speech. School children are not entirely denied free speech, they are just somewhat more restricted in that speech while in school, is my understanding.

As far as the main point of the OP, if a teacher really told a student they could not read a religious text during a free reading time, they are certainly in the wrong. It may be difficult to prove that any incidents occurred during such a time, however.

I think you may be mistaking greater restrictions on speech being allowed to a total suppression of speech. School children are not entirely denied free speech, they are just somewhat more restricted in that speech while in school, is my understanding.
yes to the whims of the school system, well slightly.

"The Broward School District claimed it was told Giovanni was reading the Bible when he should have been reading an assigned book, not during free-reading time. The district stressed that any student may read the Bible, or any other religious book, during free time."

Teacher?s Bible Ban In Class Sparks Protest & Change « CBS Miami
From the link above...
CBS4&#8242;s Gaby Fleischman stopped by Mrs. Thomas’ home. Her husband told us she was not there and asked: “What the [expletive] do you want?”
Gaby responded that we want to speak to Mrs. Thomas’ to hear her side of the story.
“She ain’t got nothing to say to you, she ain’t got nothing to say,” responded her husband. “Get me on camera, get the [expletive] out of my yard.”

Mrs. Thomas's husband looks like he's bearing a grudge because his wife is in hot water. He should consider taking anger management class. :lol:

If it was free reading time, and he wasn't reading out loud, then there should not be an issue.

If it was free reading time, and he wasn't reading out loud, then there should not be an issue.

So it would seem.

I certainly hope this is not a 'tempest in a teapot' type of incident.

Having taught 5th grade --my mind wanders off. So many good books for that age student---I am inclined to think that was the intent of 'free'/independent reading time. The school should provide clarification if they do this again.

Something makes me think this teacher wasn't taking a 'militant' stance against religion--I could certainly be wrong.

~~~~
hmmm--just found this.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/05/4099850/group-charging-schools-with-religious.html

<Broward school officials rejected the accusation, saying the student wasn&#8217;t asking to read the Bible during a free-reading session but during a classroom &#8220;accelerated reading&#8217;&#8217; program. The district says it allows Bibles to be included in free-reading periods &#8212; this just wasn&#8217;t one of them.

In a statement, the Broward school district said it &#8220;respects and upholds the rights of students to bring personal religious materials to school, including the Bible, and to read these items before school, after school or during any &#8216;free reading&#8217; time during the school day. This information has been communicated to the parents of the student involved in this situation.&#8221;>

<Florida International University law professor Howard Wasserman said students are generally allowed to read religious materials at school when they&#8217;re not in class, such as during lunch. But a free-reading period doesn&#8217;t mean that any and all books are automatically permitted, he said. Schools should take care to not specifically single out religious texts for exclusion, but they still retain the power to define the curriculum.

&#8220;Free reading doesn&#8217;t have an obvious and inherent meaning,&#8221; Wasserman said. &#8220;It means what the school district says it means.&#8221; >

Last edited:

Forum List

Back