Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

>

Bet it won't take long if the deduction goes away to figure out a way to work around it.

When my kids were in school contributions to the PTA were tax deductible as a charitable organization. You could sign up and make donation through the main office.

Won't take long for teacher to figure out the following:

1. Go to store and purchase supplies.
2. Keep receipts and mark them as PTA.
3. Go to school and drip off supplies in a bag marked for their class.
4. Get receipt from the Secretary marked for PTA donation.
5. Take charitable donation.

>>>>

Our schools passed a levy years ago and then they sent us a pamphlet how the new money was to be distributed. Much of it went to administration. In fact all administrators went to 8 figure salaries, and this was about ten years ago. How hard can it be to run a school anyhow?

Eight figure salaries start at $10,000,000 per year.

What school public school system now (or 10 years ago) was paying administrators (Princpals, Assistant Principals, Curriculum Leaders, Executives, and Superintendents) over 10 million a year?

>>>>

If parents want private schools THEY can pay for it. They have no right to expect others to subsidize it.

But public school parents DO have the right to expect others to subsidize it?

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that me nor my tenants have (or ever had) children in. It's completely unfair because your taxes are based on the value of your property and not how many kids you have in the school system which is the way it should be.

In other words we pay about $4,000 a year towards the school that we have no kids in. The lady down the street with four kids in school is probably paying about $1,300 towards the school per year

I don't mind helping out with my hard earned money, but there is no equity when I pay the same or more than other property owners that do have kids in school. They should be paying at least a little bit more than I am and I should get a reduction in my taxes.

You benefit from an educated society. Suck it up, man! Your whining like a lib snowflake!

I benefit from everybody having a car so they can get to work in the morning. Doesn't mean I should pay for them. I benefit from a nice landscape on my street, but that doesn't mean I should be buying lawns and hedges for my neighbors.

And just to humor you, if I do benefit from educated kids, why am I paying more for that benefit than the parents? Don't they benefit from their own children's education more than I do???

As another poster said, if you don't want the income from the property, sell it and you won't have to pay those taxes.

Not really, all schools are funded through property taxes, so even if I sold out and went somewhere else with a single home, you still have to pay taxes for the school. Our state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, but nothing happened after the ruling.

Yes, everyone is required to pay taxes. I pay property tax in two counties despite not having any kids in school. If I didn't own my inherited property, I would not be paying tax on it. Why is this so hard for you to wrap your head around?

>

Bet it won't take long if the deduction goes away to figure out a way to work around it.

When my kids were in school contributions to the PTA were tax deductible as a charitable organization. You could sign up and make donation through the main office.

>>>>

Uh, what charitable donation?

>

>>>>

Our schools PTA organized as a 501(C)(3), meaning contributions of gifts and money were considered charitable contributions that you could add to other charitable contributions.

Teacher buys supplies, donates them to the PTA, PTA representative delivers the supplies to the classroom.

The teacher will be able to deduct the donation of teaching supplies to the PTA on their return. The fact that the supplies were delivered by the PTA to the same classroom the teacher worked in for use in the school wouldn't matter.

>>>>

>

>>>>

Our schools PTA organized as a 501(C)(3), meaning contributions of gifts and money were considered charitable contributions that you could add to other charitable contributions.

Teacher buys supplies, donates them to the PTA, PTA representative delivers the supplies to the classroom.

The teacher will be able to deduct the donation of teaching supplies to the PTA on their return. The fact that the supplies were delivered by the PTA to the same classroom the teacher worked in for use in the school wouldn't matter.

>>>>

Under the new tax plan?

Teachers are overpaid to begin with. They should not get a tax break, they should get a tax increase. They vote Democrat and should be held to their own standards.

Interesting point. It depends. If they are tribal, they get well paid contracts. If they are White Americans, not so much. Either way funding has nothing to do with school performance. It is about genetics and family. In other words, as an experiment, a lottery winner can give a ghetto school district millions and the outcomes will not change in regards to standardized tests. DNA does not lie.
Thanks for the racist idiot Outlook, super dupe. Why can't we stop the GOP pandering to the rich and screwing the rest of us? Then we wouldn't have to have charity for 30% of the country... By the way every time black inner-city students are given free college they do as well as anybody else, you ignorant a hole. Enjoy hell or learn something for a change...

But public school parents DO have the right to expect others to subsidize it?

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that me nor my tenants have (or ever had) children in. It's completely unfair because your taxes are based on the value of your property and not how many kids you have in the school system which is the way it should be.

In other words we pay about $4,000 a year towards the school that we have no kids in. The lady down the street with four kids in school is probably paying about $1,300 towards the school per year

I don't mind helping out with my hard earned money, but there is no equity when I pay the same or more than other property owners that do have kids in school. They should be paying at least a little bit more than I am and I should get a reduction in my taxes.

You benefit from an educated society. Suck it up, man! Your whining like a lib snowflake!

I benefit from everybody having a car so they can get to work in the morning. Doesn't mean I should pay for them. I benefit from a nice landscape on my street, but that doesn't mean I should be buying lawns and hedges for my neighbors.

And just to humor you, if I do benefit from educated kids, why am I paying more for that benefit than the parents? Don't they benefit from their own children's education more than I do???

As another poster said, if you don't want the income from the property, sell it and you won't have to pay those taxes.

Not really, all schools are funded through property taxes, so even if I sold out and went somewhere else with a single home, you still have to pay taxes for the school. Our state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, but nothing happened after the ruling.

Yes, everyone is required to pay taxes. I pay property tax in two counties despite not having any kids in school. If I didn't own my inherited property, I would not be paying tax on it. Why is this so hard for you to wrap your head around?

Because I feel unfairly taxed, that's why. The problem is when you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections--especially when the Paul's are the majority.

And again.......it's not that I don't want to pay my "fair share" but I believe our system is anything but fair to people like me.

My sister sent her kids to a private Catholic school. It ran her and her husband about 12K a year for each of their two children. My niece started to F-off a bit and the school contacted my sister saying if her grades get any lower, she may even get expelled.

My sister sat with that kid every night helping her do homework. My niece was not allowed to leave the house except for weekends, and even they were limited. Her grades went back up real quick, because when it's your own personal money, you make sure you're going to get the best bang for your buck that you can.

Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well, the parents would take their education just as seriously as my sister did. I'm not talking 18K a year either, but maybe a thousand or so a year extra than what we pay. After all, as a teacher, I'm sure you had much experience with unconcerned parents. As far as they are concerned, their educational involvement is getting them on the bus in the morning, then the kid is your problem.

Under the new tax plan?

Charitable deductions remain for those that itemize like before.

>>>>

But, you have to exceed twice the current standard deduction in order to itemize. I guarantee you on a teacher's salary, that is highly unlikely to happen unless they give everything away to charity except for the mortgage of a million dollar home.

I have itemized once in about the past 15 years. If the bill gets passed, I will likely never do it again.

Our schools passed a levy years ago and then they sent us a pamphlet how the new money was to be distributed. Much of it went to administration. In fact all administrators went to 8 figure salaries, and this was about ten years ago. How hard can it be to run a school anyhow?

Eight figure salaries start at $10,000,000 per year.

What school public school system now (or 10 years ago) was paying administrators (Princpals, Assistant Principals, Curriculum Leaders, Executives, and Superintendents) over 10 million a year?

>>>>

I stand corrected. I meant to say six figure. Thanks for pointing that out. :beer:

Because I feel unfairly taxed, that's why. The problem is when you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections--especially when the Paul's are the majority.

And again.......it's not that I don't want to pay my "fair share" but I believe our system is anything but fair to people like me.

My sister sent her kids to a private Catholic school. It ran her and her husband about 12K a year for each of their two children. My niece started to F-off a bit and the school contacted my sister saying if her grades get any lower, she may even get expelled.

My sister sat with that kid every night helping her do homework. My niece was not allowed to leave the house except for weekends, and even they were limited. Her grades went back up real quick, because when it's your own personal money, you make sure you're going to get the best bang for your buck that you can.

Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well, the parents would take their education just as seriously as my sister did. I'm not talking 18K a year either, but maybe a thousand or so a year extra than what we pay. After all, as a teacher, I'm sure you had much experience with unconcerned parents. As far as they are concerned, their educational involvement is getting them on the bus in the morning, then the kid is your problem.

Why are you pawning off your sister's parenting failures on everyone else? I am glad she fixed the situation, but that was HER choice, not mine nor yours.

Everyone pays property tax, one way of the other, so this "unfair" statement is pure bullshit.

Why not? Because they will turn a deaf ear towards you and jot a little note in your record saying you are not a team player.
Teachers are unionized, yet haven't learned about collective power. Amazing.

Teachers are unionized? Not everywhere.

What do we do when the administrators tell us to GFY, which they will?

We just sit back, and do nothing because there is no other recourse.
Strike maybe? You don't have to be in a union to do that. In fact, it is easier to strike if you're not in a union. Collective bargaining laws have explicit laws regarding strikes.

I doubt very much that that admins will fire the entire faculty.

Strikes are illegal. Not only do they fire you but they revoke your teaching certificate. The district I worked for in FL tried that about 25 years ago. Many teachers stayed out and that is exactly what the district did. They fired every teacher who did not report for work and revoked their certificates.

Ask the Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) union about illegal strikes

I think it differs state to state. We have teachers strikes here now and then. In fact, one of our suburbs went on strike a few years ago. To my knowledge, nobody fired or lost their teaching certificate:

Strongsville teachers strike and aftermath dominated news: 2013 year in review

That is by far the exception rather than the rule. Don't assume your messed up state is like everyone else.

Why are you pawning off your sister's parenting failures on everyone else? I am glad she fixed the situation, but that was HER choice, not mine nor yours.

Everyone pays property tax, one way of the other, so this "unfair" statement is pure bullshit.
The whole country is unfair thanks to the greedy idiot GOP billionaires and brainwashed functional idiot voters. And you jackasses blame it all on lazy people... LOL

The whole country is unfair thanks to the greedy idiot GOP billionaires and brainwashed functional idiot voters. And you jackasses blame it all on lazy people... LOL

So, you can't answer the content of the post, so you back in a manure spreader and start slinging shit like it is going out of style! Bravo!

Teachers are unionized, yet haven't learned about collective power. Amazing.

Teachers are unionized? Not everywhere.

What do we do when the administrators tell us to GFY, which they will?

We just sit back, and do nothing because there is no other recourse.
Strike maybe? You don't have to be in a union to do that. In fact, it is easier to strike if you're not in a union. Collective bargaining laws have explicit laws regarding strikes.

I doubt very much that that admins will fire the entire faculty.

Strikes are illegal. Not only do they fire you but they revoke your teaching certificate. The district I worked for in FL tried that about 25 years ago. Many teachers stayed out and that is exactly what the district did. They fired every teacher who did not report for work and revoked their certificates.

Ask the Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) union about illegal strikes

I think it differs state to state. We have teachers strikes here now and then. In fact, one of our suburbs went on strike a few years ago. To my knowledge, nobody fired or lost their teaching certificate:

Strongsville teachers strike and aftermath dominated news: 2013 year in review

That is by far the exception rather than the rule. Don't assume your messed up state is like everyone else.

I don't, just pointing out that it's not a federal thing but a state thing as far as I can see.

This is true, but property tax is like your payroll tax, you don't pay attention to it because it's going to be taken out no matter what you do. If you got your salary as a whole and had to pay the government programs by writing a check, you would take it more seriously. Most home owners have an escrow.

Renters don't even give it a second thought. Property tax is part of their rent, but they just don't realize it.

Who do you think would take better care of their car, somebody that had a car given to them or somebody that busted their ass to earn enough money to buy the car themselves? I think that if parents had to pay extra to send their kids to school, they might take more interest in their education.

Maybe instead of the unions giving millions to politicians they can help these teachers supply the kids with what they need.

Very true! The unions have no interest in either the teachers or the children.

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all does it not?

This is true, but property tax is like your payroll tax, you don't pay attention to it because it's going to be taken out no matter what you do. If you got your salary as a whole and had to pay the government programs by writing a check, you would take it more seriously. Most home owners have an escrow.

Renters don't even give it a second thought. Property tax is part of their rent, but they just don't realize it.

Who do you think would take better care of their car, somebody that had a car given to them or somebody that busted their ass to earn enough money to buy the car themselves? I think that if parents had to pay extra to send their kids to school, they might take more interest in their education.

I am not disagreeing with that. You just cannot reorganize the entire structure of school finance to motivate people to get involved with their kid's education.

That is literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

$150.00 more or less is not going to encourage or discourage anyone from going into government teaching if that is their goal.

The College of Education of virtually every university is the least demanding of all their offerings. For that, they get a decent paying job with excellent hours. Would they give that up for $150.00 at most? Not a chance

Forum List

Back