Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

The reason I didn't become a teacher is because I couldn't figure out how to control 35 ungrateful brats, and I didn't even feel inclined to learn how.

Teachers in public school are glorified baby sitters. Consider the average public school graduate, who really knows nothing about the real world. But they make good ignorant Democratic voters.
If teachers are glorified baby sitters, they should be paid as much.....which would be a LOT MORE than what they are actually paid.

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

[...]
It's not in the nature of most teachers to do that. With very few exceptions, teachers are teachers because they truly like what they do, so this tax adjustment will really hurt them. Hopefully it can be revised.
Teachers are Teachers because they aren't qualified to get real jobs.
That's what many RWrs say about the military too.

No it’s not.

Teachers should stop playing the martyr. They get good pay, good benefits, tenure, and a pension. I don't have a pension.
And yet, you just finished saying you wouldn't be a teacher because it's too hard for you.......:lol:

A real man of the people.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.
Teachers have to spend money on teaching supplies now because the money that used to be allocated for supplies now goes into teacher and administrator salaries. Virtually every dollar that used to be devoted to other purposes, like building schools, got diverted into salaries.
And paid vacation time. Teachers are off a ridiculous amount during the school year.

FYI, teachers get zero paid vacation. We are paid only for the days we work, and many days we are required to work without any pay. Pardon me for pointing out your ignorance.
Teachers get paid for all time during the year that kids are off...spring break,fall break,Christmas break etc. plus they get a week of sick days sometimes more.
No they do not.

Well, the remedy there is to stop buying stuff out of their own funds. If the district won't pay for it, then the kiddies don't get it.

[...]
It's not in the nature of most teachers to do that. With very few exceptions, teachers are teachers because they truly like what they do, so this tax adjustment will really hurt them. Hopefully it can be revised.

No it’s not.
I've had several make that claim to me over the years when I stated I was a vet.

[...]

No it’s not.
I've had several make that claim to me over the years when I stated I was a vet.

Bullshit

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

It's a long-term strategy. More stupid populace = GOP wins more elections.

Spiral note books, pens,pencils, three ring binders,course dividers,pocket folders. All things used by students. Plus ...copy paper,post it notes,paper clips,tape /dispensers,staples/staplers,pencil sharpeners and lots more...

All things both teachers and students can use.

So don't give me that lame argument. They were too lazy to pick it up because they know they can soak the parents for that stuff during the school year.

I think parents should have to pay for all those things. I went to a private Catholic school as a kid, and our parents had to pay for all supplies, uniforms, and lunch because we didn't have a cafeteria; we ate our homemade lunch at our desks.

The teachers shouldn't have to pay for crap. Too many parents out there divorced from their child's education because they believe it's not their responsibility.
We were always given a list of supplies plus extras twice a year sometimes more. We were also instructed to purchase extra for the needy kids if we could. I seriously doubt the teachers paid for much out of pocket.

Hell...they even used to ask for poster board,copy paper,film and stuff for special projects.

I doubt that has changed in the last couple years.

It’s worse. My daughters teacher takes it upon herself to buy subscriptions to scholastic reader things. Every other week I get a note telling me we owe &10.00 on a subscription that only cost st 7 bucks.that gets annoying. At this point, I’m wondering if I shouldent just put my kid in private school.
I agree it is annoying. It is because school budgets get slashed.

It isn't a priority.

Building new stadiums is.

Ah, you live in Texas ? Our kids are stupid as rocks, but damn, im sure glad I coughed up the dough for that billion dollar stadium for high school football!
I dont live in TX bu sadly you are not unique :(

Funny how you freaks try to focus on one aspect of the tax plan and ignore others. You cry about losing a savings of about $125 and ignore the doubling of the standard deduction that will save them an average of $1182. I'll tell ya what, I'll give you the $125 if you give me the $1182, DEAL?

Teaching a skill requires more skills then doing it.

I can train a dog much more easily than I can train a person to train their dog.

People who claim teachers teach because they cant do anything else clearly lack the skills to teach.

Perhaps we should reduce the inane federal regulatory burden which has bloated up school administration. The savings could easily be used to fund supplies, textbooks, and the music and arts curriculum that Big Government has decimated.

Big government has nothing to do with music and arts. Federal funding is for the poor and special education students.

California used to have special programs for gifted students. In the 1970s, those were largely eliminated, with funding going to "special ed" (of which many students really belong in institutions or home care). It's not a coincidence that Jerry Brown was governor back then. This is just one of many things ruined under his leadership.

[...]

No it’s not.

They were just saying that about you, not the military in general.

Perhaps we should reduce the inane federal regulatory burden which has bloated up school administration. The savings could easily be used to fund supplies, textbooks, and the music and arts curriculum that Big Government has decimated.

Big government has nothing to do with music and arts. Federal funding is for the poor and special education students.

California used to have special programs for gifted students. In the 1970s, those were largely eliminated, with funding going to "special ed" (of which many students really belong in institutions or home care). It's not a coincidence that Jerry Brown was governor back then. This is just one of many things ruined under his leadership.

Surprise! Gifted students are special education!

Bet you didn't know that!

I might be wrong here...but wasn't the mainstreaming of special ed students mandated at the federal level...not up to the states?

I might be wrong here...but wasn't the mainstreaming of special ed students mandated at the federal level...not up to the states?

I suspect you are right given the federal takeover of public education, but CA certainly implemented it with special gusto.

Yes, it was. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) required special ed students be educated in the the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).

"Supplies", like laptops for personal use.

The workplace already covers all the real supplies.

Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

or be able to deduct mortgage taxes..

neither will you.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

nope - scratch that, I was dead wrong.

For newly-purchased homes, the mortgage interest deduction will now be capped at $500,000 — down from $1 million — and existing mortgage-holders will get to keep their previous deduction. And while deductions for state and local income taxes were eliminated, the legislation will allow deductions for state and local property taxes up to $10,000.

Last edited:
I did not read the thread, but a tax deduction by a teacher on $500 of supplies would amount to about $50 in savings per year.

They can manage...or maybe the schools should spend less on stupid shit and give the students the supplies they need.

Like I said, if that ends up being the case, I have no problem with it. I can't deduct anything I spend for work under $500.00, and as you said, it isn't all that much money.

Forum List

Back