Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

Lower middle class folk....get rid of their breaks....but help the wealthy. This kind of stuff makes me embarrassed of this nation.

A real man of the people.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.
/——/ My wife is a teacher and spends $500 a year on supplies because the school and parents are too cheap. I’m glad she’s retiring.

If parents want private schools THEY can pay for it. They have no right to expect others to subsidize it.

But public school parents DO have the right to expect others to subsidize it?

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that me nor my tenants have (or ever had) children in. It's completely unfair because your taxes are based on the value of your property and not how many kids you have in the school system which is the way it should be.

In other words we pay about $4,000 a year towards the school that we have no kids in. The lady down the street with four kids in school is probably paying about $1,300 towards the school per year

I don't mind helping out with my hard earned money, but there is no equity when I pay the same or more than other property owners that do have kids in school. They should be paying at least a little bit more than I am and I should get a reduction in my taxes.

Parents want to have others raise their kids because they are busy working.....bad excuse. 99 percent of the blame is on them.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.
So, you're talking about a $1.36 a day.

Yet, when people complain about tax hikes and the progressives say, buck up, its only a couple of bucks a day, you people are okay with it.

Here is an idea. Why not have the teachers go to the administrators and demand they reprioritize their spending.

If parents want private schools THEY can pay for it. They have no right to expect others to subsidize it.

Over half of my property taxes go to our schools that me nor my tenants have (or ever had) children in. It's completely unfair because your taxes are based on the value of your property and not how many kids you have in the school system which is the way it should be.

In other words we pay about $4,000 a year towards the school that we have no kids in. The lady down the street with four kids in school is probably paying about $1,300 towards the school per year

I don't mind helping out with my hard earned money, but there is no equity when I pay the same or more than other property owners that do have kids in school. They should be paying at least a little bit more than I am and I should get a reduction in my taxes.

You benefit from an educated society. Suck it up, man! Your whining like a lib snowflake!

Yet, when people complain about tax hikes and the progressives say, buck up, its only a couple of bucks a day, you people are okay with it.

Here is an idea. Why not have the teachers go to the administrators and demand they reprioritize their spending.

Why not? Because they will turn a deaf ear towards you and jot a little note in your record saying you are not a team player.

Why not? Because they will turn a deaf ear towards you and jot a little note in your record saying you are not a team player.
Teachers are unionized, yet haven't learned about collective power. Amazing.

You benefit from an educated society. Suck it up, man! Your whining like a lib snowflake!

I benefit from everybody having a car so they can get to work in the morning. Doesn't mean I should pay for them. I benefit from a nice landscape on my street, but that doesn't mean I should be buying lawns and hedges for my neighbors.

And just to humor you, if I do benefit from educated kids, why am I paying more for that benefit than the parents? Don't they benefit from their own children's education more than I do???

Teachers are unionized? Not everywhere.

What do we do when the administrators tell us to GFY, which they will?

We just sit back, and do nothing because there is no other recourse.

I benefit from everybody having a car so they can get to work in the morning. Doesn't mean I should pay for them. I benefit from a nice landscape on my street, but that doesn't mean I should be buying lawns and hedges for my neighbors.

And just to humor you, if I do benefit from educated kids, why am I paying more for that benefit than the parents? Don't they benefit from their own children's education more than I do???

As another poster said, if you don't want the income from the property, sell it and you won't have to pay those taxes.

In our county they only spend 47% of the budget on direct instructional costs. It’s outrageous, spend $8421 per student, class size 18-22, with a dropout rate of 21%. It is nuts. 183 schools, yet 65 administrators at the administration office, not including assistants, secretaries, etc.

Strike maybe? You don't have to be in a union to do that. In fact, it is easier to strike if you're not in a union. Collective bargaining laws have explicit laws regarding strikes.

I doubt very much that that admins will fire the entire faculty.

Strike maybe? You don't have to be in a union to do that. In fact, it is easier to strike if you're not in a union. Collective bargaining laws have explicit laws regarding strikes.

Strikes are illegal. Not only do they fire you but they revoke your teaching certificate. The district I worked for in FL tried that about 25 years ago. Many teachers stayed out and that is exactly what the district did. They fired every teacher who did not report for work and revoked their certificates.

Ask the Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) union about illegal strikes

People don't become teachers for a tax deduction. When I was a teacher, I used thast deduction, but would forego it to help the country. Not a biggie.

People are ignoring the fact most isd’s are top heavy, and could spend more on supplies.

Strikes are illegal. Not only do they fire you but they revoke your teaching certificate. The district I worked for in FL tried that about 25 years ago. Many teachers stayed out and that is exactly what the district did. They fired every teacher who did not report for work and revoked their certificates.

Ask the Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) union about illegal strikes

I think it differs state to state. We have teachers strikes here now and then. In fact, one of our suburbs went on strike a few years ago. To my knowledge, nobody fired or lost their teaching certificate:

Strongsville teachers strike and aftermath dominated news: 2013 year in review

In our county they only spend 47% of the budget on direct instructional costs. It’s outrageous, spend $8421 per student, class size 18-22, with a dropout rate of 21%. It is nuts. 183 schools, yet 65 administrators at the administration office, not including assistants, secretaries, etc.

Our schools passed a levy years ago and then they sent us a pamphlet how the new money was to be distributed. Much of it went to administration. In fact all administrators went to 8 figure salaries, and this was about ten years ago. How hard can it be to run a school anyhow?

As another poster said, if you don't want the income from the property, sell it and you won't have to pay those taxes.

Not really, all schools are funded through property taxes, so even if I sold out and went somewhere else with a single home, you still have to pay taxes for the school. Our state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, but nothing happened after the ruling.

Forum List

Back