Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

Perhaps if we pay them less the loons will cut back on trying to indoctrinate our kids.

Great thinking! NOT!

I keep hearing about this indoctrination, but no one can give me an example of what the heck they are talking about. that is pervasive nationwide. Are there some crazy things going on in NY, Boston, Chicago and California? Yes, but that crap doesn't fly everywhere and all you hear about are those few isolated cases of liberals gone nuts.

I think he’s referring to the anti-Americanism Agenda being pushed in schools. That all of American history is nothing but racism and slavery. Many teachers these days are batshit crazy liberals that feel the need to rant and indoctrinate their students.

I taught American history, American government, World Civilizations, and several math classes.. That's bullshit!

Teacher pay is shitty because every idiot wants to be a teacher. It's a clean, pleasant job with easy hours.

Get a job as a sewer worker, if you want great pay and benefits.

There's a guy who stands in sewer water for eight hours straight per day, fishing out the used condoms as they go by so they don't get jammed in the machinery.

Try this guy's job if you want to make the big bucks.

Teachers pay differs depending on where you go. Some are making great money while others not so good. Here teachers get paid pretty well. One of my former tenants was a teacher. He used to come outside early mornings in the summer to taunt us about how we had to go to work while he is getting paid to sit on his porch. He would laugh how he was going fishing for a week or to his camper for three or four.

Yeah, and he was probably grading homework papers for two and three hours per night after he got home while you kicked back in the La-Z-Boy with a brew watching the game. I loved getting a DVR so I could watch all of the TV shows that I had I missed during the week on Saturdays.

I think he’s referring to the anti-Americanism Agenda being pushed in schools. That all of American history is nothing but racism and slavery. .....

That is bullshit no matter how many times the ignorant repeat it.

Bull shit. Teachers have parents supply their kids for the year.
Exactly. And as a matter of fact we had a huge company layoff workers here and move to a new state. The company in question actually called several schools offering to give them all their office supplies free of charge...

Not a single one would pick them up. They ended up going to a few local churches.

Your company had loose leaf notebook paper and pencils? That's what students mostly need that their parents should be providing.

I am sure they would have had printer cartridges for our classroom printers and toner for our high-end copiers.

Very few businesses actually use what schools need.
Spiral note books, pens,pencils, three ring binders,course dividers,pocket folders. All things used by students. Plus ...copy paper,post it notes,paper clips,tape /dispensers,staples/staplers,pencil sharpeners and lots more...

All things both teachers and students can use.

So don't give me that lame argument. They were too lazy to pick it up because they know they can soak the parents for that stuff during the school year.

I think parents should have to pay for all those things. I went to a private Catholic school as a kid, and our parents had to pay for all supplies, uniforms, and lunch because we didn't have a cafeteria; we ate our homemade lunch at our desks.

The teachers shouldn't have to pay for crap. Too many parents out there divorced from their child's education because they believe it's not their responsibility.
We were always given a list of supplies plus extras twice a year sometimes more. We were also instructed to purchase extra for the needy kids if we could. I seriously doubt the teachers paid for much out of pocket.

Hell...they even used to ask for poster board,copy paper,film and stuff for special projects.

I doubt that has changed in the last couple years.

You need to move. Poster boards, yes. Anything else? Nope!

Omg. Really? You lazy cheap asses need to get off your asses and help out. We know every government bureaucracy is money burning machine, but forget about the massive amounts tax payers are paying to fund the garbage many schools are producing. It is our kids. If a teacher sends out a list of needs, fulfill them. Spend $25, $50, whatever you can do and help out.

You can get rid of the Education Department when you make sure that states actually educate their kids instead of warehousing them for 12 years and then turning idiots out onto the streets.

1) Education is nowhere in the Constitution

2) The public schools are currently "warehousing them for 12 years and then turning idiots out onto the streets". Hell if it wasn't for my parents teaching me things that would have been me. Literally the only thing of value I learned in 12 years was basic reading, writing, and math.

Privatize schools? You want Islamic Madrassas getting tax dollars?

If that is what the parents want.

Florida had vouchers when I taught there. Not a single private high school would accept them because they were about half the cost of tuition. The schools would go bankrupt if they took them over paying students. The private schools never materialized like everyone claimed they would. Charter schools had about a 50% rate for bankruptcy. Guess what happens when those schools go belly-up? The kids get put back in public schools with no funding.

There would be no public schools in the plan I explained. So the vouchers would be higher than what was given in Florida.

Some schools would charge more than the vouchers some would charge the exact amount. There would be a school for every price.

I don't have the time nor space in this medium to tell you how messed up your ideas are. Apparently you have been misled in your thinking about vouchers to the point that what you think you know and reality are light years apart.

In my Master's program, I spent the better part of two and a half years studying school systems and why vouchers are a complete and utter failure. Everywhere charter schools have been tried they have either failed or had mixed results. There are no programs that are consistent winners.

One of my professors taught school finance and he was one of the country's leading experts who was often called to testify in cases regarding state and local school districts. He taught us why vouchers are ineffective and always will be using actual numbers and case histories. To try to convince you would be futile because it is a complicated subject and I doubt you have the stamina for such a topic.

My advice to you is, don't believe everything you hear. Those speaking usually are working on their agenda.

Teacher pay is shitty because every idiot wants to be a teacher. It's a clean, pleasant job with easy hours.

There's a guy who stands in sewer water for eight hours straight per day, fishing out the used condoms as they go by so they don't get jammed in the machinery.

Teachers pay differs depending on where you go. Some are making great money while others not so good. Here teachers get paid pretty well. One of my former tenants was a teacher. He used to come outside early mornings in the summer to taunt us about how we had to go to work while he is getting paid to sit on his porch. He would laugh how he was going fishing for a week or to his camper for three or four.

Yeah, and he was probably grading homework papers for two and three hours per night after he got home while you kicked back in the La-Z-Boy with a brew watching the game. I loved getting a DVR so I could watch all of the TV shows that I had I missed during the week on Saturdays.

I admire your willingness to stay with it. I got my degree in secondary ed the same year I got divorced. I was a single Dad with 3 kids. I was offered a job making roughly twice what I would have made in the classroom. I took it. I have a lot of friends who are teachers (a few retiring now). I always had more time for things than they did. It takes something special to be a teacher. Well done.

I admire your willingness to stay with it. I got my degree in secondary ed the same year I got divorced. I was a single Dad with 3 kids. I was offered a job making roughly twice what I would have made in the classroom. I took it. I have a lot of friends who are teachers (a few retiring now). I always had more time for things than they did. It takes something special to be a teacher. Well done.

I applied for about 30 jobs this summer and fall, and never got the first phone call. I needed 3 more years to retire with benefits, but that looks like it is not meant to be. I have given up on teaching. It is simply not worth the struggle anymore to look for a job each summer, so I am looking elsewhere. I am waiting to see if I get hired by the state to be a veteran's counselor at half the pay I was making because my unemployment is running out soon. If that doesn't come through, I'll probably be a shopping cart returner at Walmart!

Yes, during the school year he did. I was talking about what he used to do all summer long while school was closed.

A real man of the people.

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.

It’s well known that teachers — even those who earn meager salaries — dig deep into their own pockets for supplies to do their jobs, with one study estimating they spend an average of nearly $500 a year on everything from pencils to batteries.

For now, teachers can get a small tax break — deducting up to $250 from their taxes — for what they spend on supplies. But under the GOP tax reform bill, that deduction would go away for teachers and other categories of workers, including certain state and local officials and performing artists.

No surprise there, Money doesn't grow on trees and the republicans have to get the money from somewhere to fund more tax breaks for the coke brothers.

Exactly. And as a matter of fact we had a huge company layoff workers here and move to a new state. The company in question actually called several schools offering to give them all their office supplies free of charge...

Not a single one would pick them up. They ended up going to a few local churches.

Your company had loose leaf notebook paper and pencils? That's what students mostly need that their parents should be providing.

I am sure they would have had printer cartridges for our classroom printers and toner for our high-end copiers.

Spiral note books, pens,pencils, three ring binders,course dividers,pocket folders. All things used by students. Plus ...copy paper,post it notes,paper clips,tape /dispensers,staples/staplers,pencil sharpeners and lots more...

So don't give me that lame argument. They were too lazy to pick it up because they know they can soak the parents for that stuff during the school year.

I think parents should have to pay for all those things. I went to a private Catholic school as a kid, and our parents had to pay for all supplies, uniforms, and lunch because we didn't have a cafeteria; we ate our homemade lunch at our desks.

The teachers shouldn't have to pay for crap. Too many parents out there divorced from their child's education because they believe it's not their responsibility.
We were always given a list of supplies plus extras twice a year sometimes more. We were also instructed to purchase extra for the needy kids if we could. I seriously doubt the teachers paid for much out of pocket.

Hell...they even used to ask for poster board,copy paper,film and stuff for special projects.

I don't know because its' been so long since I've been in school. The only way I can relate is when I was teaching music at a music store years ago. I had to create charts and sheets of music for my students. I had to run to the store to make multiple copies of each sheet. At times I would give a new student a book because they came unprepared to buy one. I spent many evenings and weekends learning songs that the students wanted to learn, and of course, each student wanted to learn something different.

In a sense I can relate. My employer never paid me for the extra work or the money I spent copying hundreds of chord charts. But then again it was only a part-time job that I mostly did for enjoyment. I had a full-time job for my main source of income.

I don't know because its' been so long since I've been in school. The only way I can relate is when I was teaching music at a music store years ago. I had to create charts and sheets of music for my students. I had to run to the store to make multiple copies of each sheet. At times I would give a new student a book because they came unprepared to buy one. I spent many evenings and weekends learning songs that the students wanted to learn, and of course, each student wanted to learn something different.

In a sense I can relate. My employer never paid me for the extra work or the money I spent copying hundreds of chord charts. But then again it was only a part-time job that I did for enjoyment mostly.

With us the list pretty much tripled up on school supplies needed by a kid. Three packs of pencils, three box’s of crayons and so on. That in and of its self doesn’t really bother me, what does bother me is that the teachers take all the left overs and keep them. This is why I only buy stuff for my kids.

It’s worse. My daughters teacher takes it upon herself to buy subscriptions to scholastic reader things. Every other week I get a note telling me we owe &10.00 on a subscription that only cost st 7 bucks.that gets annoying. At this point, I’m wondering if I shouldent just put my kid in private school.

I will gladly adopt a teacher and cover the $500 dollars they use to buy supplies when they lose the deduction, anyone else wanna adopt a teacher?

You can get rid of the Education Department when you make sure that states actually educate their kids instead of warehousing them for 12 years and then turning idiots out onto the streets.

2) The public schools are currently "warehousing them for 12 years and then turning idiots out onto the streets". Hell if it wasn't for my parents teaching me things that would have been me. Literally the only thing of value I learned in 12 years was basic reading, writing, and math.

Florida had vouchers when I taught there. Not a single private high school would accept them because they were about half the cost of tuition. The schools would go bankrupt if they took them over paying students. The private schools never materialized like everyone claimed they would. Charter schools had about a 50% rate for bankruptcy. Guess what happens when those schools go belly-up? The kids get put back in public schools with no funding.

There would be no public schools in the plan I explained. So the vouchers would be higher than what was given in Florida.

Some schools would charge more than the vouchers some would charge the exact amount. There would be a school for every price.
If parents want private schools THEY can pay for it. They have no right to expect others to subsidize it.

It’s worse. My daughters teacher takes it upon herself to buy subscriptions to scholastic reader things. Every other week I get a note telling me we owe &10.00 on a subscription that only cost st 7 bucks.that gets annoying. At this point, I’m wondering if I shouldent just put my kid in private school.
I agree it is annoying. It is because school budgets get slashed.

It isn't a priority.

Building new stadiums is.

I agree it is annoying. It is because school budgets get slashed.

It isn't a priority.

Building new stadiums is.

Ah, you live in Texas ? Our kids are stupid as rocks, but damn, im sure glad I coughed up the dough for that billion dollar stadium for high school football!

If parents want private schools THEY can pay for it. They have no right to expect others to subsidize it.

But there is a right to force parents to pay for a school where they have to send their kids a half hour out of the way.

My wife and my cousin went to private schools. The tuition was less than what the county spends per student.

So if we got rid of the public schools and just gave parents a voucher it would save tax payers millions.

But there is a right to force parents to pay for a school where they have to send their kids a half hour out of the way.

My wife and my cousin went to private schools. The tuition was less than what the county spends per student.

So if we got rid of the public schools and just gave parents a voucher it would save tax payers millions.

You simply cannot get rid of public schools. That is a non-starter, so go back to the drawing board or smoke another big fatty!

Actually, you are paying only a small part of the cost. Other taxpayers contribute to your child's education.

I pay my taxes and I haven't had a kid in school for over 5 years.

Forum List

Back