Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax

As another poster said, if you don't want the income from the property, sell it and you won't have to pay those taxes.

Not really, all schools are funded through property taxes, so even if I sold out and went somewhere else with a single home, you still have to pay taxes for the school. Our state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, but nothing happened after the ruling.

Yes, everyone is required to pay taxes. I pay property tax in two counties despite not having any kids in school. If I didn't own my inherited property, I would not be paying tax on it. Why is this so hard for you to wrap your head around?

Because I feel unfairly taxed, that's why. The problem is when you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections--especially when the Paul's are the majority.

And again.......it's not that I don't want to pay my "fair share" but I believe our system is anything but fair to people like me.

My sister sent her kids to a private Catholic school. It ran her and her husband about 12K a year for each of their two children. My niece started to F-off a bit and the school contacted my sister saying if her grades get any lower, she may even get expelled.

My sister sat with that kid every night helping her do homework. My niece was not allowed to leave the house except for weekends, and even they were limited. Her grades went back up real quick, because when it's your own personal money, you make sure you're going to get the best bang for your buck that you can.

Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well, the parents would take their education just as seriously as my sister did. I'm not talking 18K a year either, but maybe a thousand or so a year extra than what we pay. After all, as a teacher, I'm sure you had much experience with unconcerned parents. As far as they are concerned, their educational involvement is getting them on the bus in the morning, then the kid is your problem.
The countries that charge fees or tuition for kids to attend school have low literacy and education rates and are typically third world. Why do we want to be like that?

70 million children get no education, says report

So what you're saying is that if we had parents pay a little more than the taxpayers who don't have kids in school, we would end up like a third world country? I have some bad news for ya, and that is our inner-city kids aren't too far from that point now. So do we continue failure or perhaps experiment with something new?

YOUR inner city kids are some of the worst in this country. Holding them up as an example is an extreme, not an average.

[Q

The countries that charge fees or tuition for kids to attend school have low literacy and education rates and are typically third world. Why do we want to be like that?

We sent our sons to private school because they couldn't get a good education in the public school system.

Government fucks up every thing it touches and education is no different. Education failed in this country for many reasons but tops on that list is the fact it is used as a social justice institution instead of learning. In the South filthy ass court ordered desegregation turned a a bad system for Blacks and a good system for Whites into one bad system for both Blacks and Whites. How dumb was that?
You have a perfect right to send your kids to private schools, no one is arguing that. You don't have a right to expect taxpayers to subsidize it.

Except for a few minor grants the private school that I sent my children to was not funded in any way by the government.

What is unfair is that I had to pay thousands of dollars in filthy taxes for education for other people's children but got none of it back for my children. I made the choice to do it but that doesn't mean it was fair.

Liberals hate the concept of personal choice of anything. They want the collective to decide what is good and the stupid public education system is a great example of that.

The stupid Liberals are really confused about things like this. They don't understand how they screwed up education in this country by having a government monopoly on it. It forced poor children into a failed system and and more affluent kids into a good system. Everybody gets screwed that way. The poor children by having a worthless education and the more affluent people by have to shell out tons of money to subsidized the failed system for the poorer children.

What are you bitching about? You had a choice to send you kids to public school and you made the choice not to do so. That is about as much choice as we get in this life.

There is no monopoly on education, or your kids would have gone to public schools. Those of you who bitch, gripe and complain about your schools have taken the cowards way out by running to private schools. My children all attended public schools and they received an incredibly good education compared to what I had. I chose the schools by where I lived and I made sure they kept up the standards. Granted, it was easier once I became a teacher, but my two older children were in middle and elementary school while I was in the military. That did not mean I abandoned my responsibility as a parent.

I once had decided to rent a property while I was in the military, but when I checked out the local school, that was property was quickly taken off the table. I found another more expensive rental property in a good school attendance zone and paid more for their education in my rent which paid the increased property tax. Why do most Americans think this is not a parent's responsibility?

What most people fail to realize that the quality of the school is usually not the building, administration or even teachers that make it a good school. It is the students who attend there. If you have messed up students, you will have a messed up school.

I once taught in an inner city school where a good portion of the students were refugees from other countries who spoke little English and had no idea of how to behave in school. As a result, we were ranked as the worst school in the state. You could have taken that same faculty and moved it to the suburbs with a white, middle class student population, and that school would have been one of the best in the state.

As they say in real estate, "Location, location, location!"

Not really, all schools are funded through property taxes, so even if I sold out and went somewhere else with a single home, you still have to pay taxes for the school. Our state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional, but nothing happened after the ruling.

Yes, everyone is required to pay taxes. I pay property tax in two counties despite not having any kids in school. If I didn't own my inherited property, I would not be paying tax on it. Why is this so hard for you to wrap your head around?

Because I feel unfairly taxed, that's why. The problem is when you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objections--especially when the Paul's are the majority.

And again.......it's not that I don't want to pay my "fair share" but I believe our system is anything but fair to people like me.

My sister sent her kids to a private Catholic school. It ran her and her husband about 12K a year for each of their two children. My niece started to F-off a bit and the school contacted my sister saying if her grades get any lower, she may even get expelled.

My sister sat with that kid every night helping her do homework. My niece was not allowed to leave the house except for weekends, and even they were limited. Her grades went back up real quick, because when it's your own personal money, you make sure you're going to get the best bang for your buck that you can.

Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well, the parents would take their education just as seriously as my sister did. I'm not talking 18K a year either, but maybe a thousand or so a year extra than what we pay. After all, as a teacher, I'm sure you had much experience with unconcerned parents. As far as they are concerned, their educational involvement is getting them on the bus in the morning, then the kid is your problem.

So what you're saying is that if we had parents pay a little more than the taxpayers who don't have kids in school, we would end up like a third world country? I have some bad news for ya, and that is our inner-city kids aren't too far from that point now. So do we continue failure or perhaps experiment with something new?

No. Because that is not what you proposed. You said "Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well,"

Yes, that’s what I said. A small tuition that may make a parent value their child’s education a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

[Q

We sent our sons to private school because they couldn't get a good education in the public school system.

Government fucks up every thing it touches and education is no different. Education failed in this country for many reasons but tops on that list is the fact it is used as a social justice institution instead of learning. In the South filthy ass court ordered desegregation turned a a bad system for Blacks and a good system for Whites into one bad system for both Blacks and Whites. How dumb was that?
You have a perfect right to send your kids to private schools, no one is arguing that. You don't have a right to expect taxpayers to subsidize it.

Except for a few minor grants the private school that I sent my children to was not funded in any way by the government.

What is unfair is that I had to pay thousands of dollars in filthy taxes for education for other people's children but got none of it back for my children. I made the choice to do it but that doesn't mean it was fair.

Liberals hate the concept of personal choice of anything. They want the collective to decide what is good and the stupid public education system is a great example of that.

The stupid Liberals are really confused about things like this. They don't understand how they screwed up education in this country by having a government monopoly on it. It forced poor children into a failed system and and more affluent kids into a good system. Everybody gets screwed that way. The poor children by having a worthless education and the more affluent people by have to shell out tons of money to subsidized the failed system for the poorer children.

What are you bitching about? You had a choice to send you kids to public school and you made the choice not to do so. That is about as much choice as we get in this life.

There is no monopoly on education, or your kids would have gone to public schools. Those of you who bitch, gripe and complain about your schools have taken the cowards way out by running to private schools. My children all attended public schools and they received an incredibly good education compared to what I had. I chose the schools by where I lived and I made sure they kept up the standards. Granted, it was easier once I became a teacher, but my two older children were in middle and elementary school while I was in the military. That did not mean I abandoned my responsibility as a parent.

I once had decided to rent a property while I was in the military, but when I checked out the local school, that was off the table. I found another more expensive rental property in a good school attendance zone and paid more for their education. Why do most Americans think this is not a parent's responsibility?

What most people fail to realize that the quality of the school is usually not the building, administration or even teachers that make it a good school. It is the students who attend there. If you have messed up students, you will have a messed up school.

I once taught in an inner city school where a good portion of the students were refugees from other countries who spoke little English and had no idea of how to behave in school. As a result, we were ranked as the worst school in the state. You could have taken that same faculty and moved it to the suburbs with a white, middle class student population, and that school would have been one of the best in the state.

I am bitching because the filthy government took my money by force and used it to fund a piss poor education system and I got nothing for it. As least I had the means to go outside the system. Just think of all the people that couldn't afford to send their kids to a a good private school and had to suffer what the government gave them for their tax money.

There is a monopoly on the education that is paid for by the tax dollars that the filthy government forces me to pay. That is why we need a voucher system to break that monopoly.

It is like in the old Soviet Union where they allowed you to buy any car you wanted provided it was one of the poorly made state vehicles.

Government screws up everything. Education in the US is one of the biggest screw ups. The US spends more money on education than any other country in the world and has some of the poorest results.

[Q

I once had decided to rent a property while I was in the military, but when I checked out the local school, that was off the table. I found another more expensive rental property in a good school attendance zone and paid more for their education. Why do most Americans think this is not a parent's responsibility?

I am bitching because the filthy government took my money by force and used it to fund a piss poor education system and I got nothing for it. As least I had the means to go outside the system. Just think of all the people that couldn't afford to send their kids to a a good private school and had to suffer what the government gave them for their tax money.

There is a monopoly on the education that is paid for by the tax dollars that the filthy government forces me to pay. That is why we need a voucher system to break that monopoly.

It is like in the old Soviet Union where they allowed you to buy any car you wanted provided it was one of the poorly made state vehicles.

Government screws up everything. Education in the US is one of the biggest screw ups. The US spends more money on education than any other country in the world and has some of the poorest results.
Go to Mexico then....that's the kind of school system you are dreaming of.

No. Because that is not what you proposed. You said "Maybe if we had tuition for public school students as well,"

Yes, that’s what I said. A small tuition that may make a parent value their child’s education a little more.

A you going to up their welfare check to offset that increased tuition? If so, you are still paying for it!

[Q

Sorry, but your whine-fest is devoid of any truth. Our education system is not piss poor. Anyone who says it is, obviously did not avail themselves of that educational opportunity. Our best students surpass the best students other countries have. Unfortunately, we have the poor and minority students who could give two shits about education that drag the average down.

You need to look up the word "monopoly" and stop treating it like a game. You post your story that proves that the system is not a monopoly and then call it one anyway. That's intellectual dishonesty, which is probably what I hate most about posters on this forum, and human beings in general, as it is rampant on both sides of the political spectrum.

The deduction to which the article refers is the "educator expense deduction." That deduction is a "carve out" made in explicit recognition of the fact that teachers typically do take money out of their pockets to buy stuff for their students.

To take the deduction, teachers must itemize their deductions. An alternative, if the educator expense deduction is indeed eliminated, is for teachers to record the expenses as unreimbursed business expenses, which also is an itemized deduction, which, insofar as it's classed as a miscellaneous deduction, it is subject to a 2% floor. That may not as good as the educator expense deduction -- I don't know if that deduction also is classed as miscellaneous -- but it's the best I can think of to suggest at this time.

Indeed, I didn't know about the educator expense deduction, but I (my accountant, really) routinely avail myself of the unreimbursed business expense deduction, most especially when I have reimbursable out-of-pocket expenses in the final two weeks of the year and have not yet been reimbursed for them. After all, individual tax returns are filed on a cash basis, so while it's not generally a lot of money, it some money, and I'm not about to pretend that I don't take every deduction and credit for which I'm legitimately eligible, though I'm not much of a "rule stretcher." That is, I'm unwilling to knowingly put myself in debatable position against the IRS whereby to defend an assertion in my tax return, I must take the matter to tax court.

So if a teacher earns $40,000 a year, that 2% floor is not met until the teacher spends $800 out of pocket

[Q

Sorry, but your whine-fest is devoid of any truth. Our education system is not piss poor. Anyone who says it is, obviously did not avail themselves of that educational opportunity. Our best students surpass the best students other countries have. Unfortunately, we have the poor and minority students who could give two shits about education that drag the average down.

You need to look up the word "monopoly" and stop treating it like a game. You post your story that proves that the system is not a monopoly and then call it one anyway. That's intellectual dishonesty, which is probably what I hate most about posters on this forum, and human beings in general, as it is rampant on both sides of the political spectrum.

You are really confused about this aren't you?

We spend more money than any country on earth on a failed education system and we don't make it in the top ten in Science, Math and Reading.

U.S. students’ academic achievement still lags that of their peers in many other countries

U.S. students’ academic achievement still lags that of their peers in many other countries

There is most certainly a monopoly on education when it comes to what you can get with the tax money the filthy ass government takes from you by force. That is why we need a voucher system to break that stupid monopoly. The big government assholes are the ones that oppose breaking the monopoly by offering choices for the tax payers.

Why are you pawning off your sister's parenting failures on everyone else? I am glad she fixed the situation, but that was HER choice, not mine nor yours.

Everyone pays property tax, one way of the other, so this "unfair" statement is pure bullshit.

Not everyone, in TX if you're 100% service connected disability, you are exempt.

From property tax? Wow!

Pardon me if I don't apply for that program.

Yep, the veteran and their surviving spouse, 60% and above get discounts.

My view on the value of compulsory and free education is this. If it is compulsory, it needs to be provided at no cost, for one. Doesn't need to be Harvard, just needs to meet the basic standards. If parents don't like it, and can't be bothered to become activists to change what they don't like the can go to private, but no one else should be expected to subsidize it.

The obvious benefit of an educated citizenry should be obvious.

Yes so they do not turn out like programmed far left drones like you?

Nothing is free, someone pays for it, only a far left drone thinks that money comes out of thin air!

But then you do support spending your way to prosperity!

[Q

You are really confused about this aren't you?

We spend more money than any country on earth on a failed education system and we don't make it in the top ten in Science, Math and Reading.

There is most certainly a monopoly on education when it comes to what you can get with the tax money the filthy ass government takes from you by force. That is why we need a voucher system to break that stupid monopoly. The big government assholes are the ones that oppose breaking the monopoly by offering choices for the tax payers.

Because the unions are not interested in teaching and the far left keeps dumbing down the system. That is why the far left needs illegal in the school systems, so the standards can be kept very low.

[QU

Because the unions are not interested in teaching and the far left keeps dumbing down the system. That is why the far left needs illegal in the school systems, so the standards can be kept very low.

I sent my kids to private school and they got a good education but I had a neighbor whose children went to public schools. The public school they went to was suppose to be one of the better ones.

My neigbor told me his High School student was taking a class in American history. Post WWII.

They spent one class period discussing the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam and the fall of the Soviet Union. No assignments.

They spent three weeks discussing the Civil Rights movement including tests and project assignments.

No wonder we are turning out uneducated people in the public schools.

[QU

I sent my kids to private school and they got a good education but I had a neighbor whose children went to public schools. The public school they went to was suppose to be one of the better ones.

My neigbor told me his High School student was taking a class in American history. Post WWII.

They spent one class period discussing the Cold War, Korea, Vietnam and the fall of the Soviet Union. No assignments.

They spent three weeks discussing the Civil Rights movement including tests and project assignments.

The civil rights movement was an historical milestone in our country. Of course you are going to spend more time on it...it spanned an era roughly Jim Crowe through the 60's and entailed significant cultural and political upheaval.

It is kind of uneducated to think this is something not worth much attention.

[QU

The civil rights movement was an historical milestone in our country. Of course you are going to spend more time on it...it spanned an era roughly Jim Crowe through the 60's and entailed significant cultural and political upheaval.

And you prove that the far left wants the make sure that is a small event since it was the far left that was against it!

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia

But never let a good religious narrative go to waste!

Educate yourself on real history vs the far left religious narrative!

[Q

You are confused Moon Bat.

The Civil Rights movement was certainly worthy of mention and a little bit of study in an American history class.

However the Cold War, Korea and Vietnam was a much larger factor in world and American history. The point that you failed to understand in my post was the disparity in the amount of time allocated to each subject.

The kid in the history passed the course being ignorant of the major post WWII history. That is pathetic when you think about it.

The stupid idiots that developed the curriculum were not interested in teaching real history but to kiss the ass of the minorities and White guilt Libtards. Despicable, isn't it?

That public school curriculum reflected a filthy ass Liberal agenda rather than reality. No wonder our kids are functionally illiterate when they graduate from a public school. A big waste of our taxpayer's dollars.

A you going to up their welfare check to offset that increased tuition? If so, you are still paying for it!

These people have some cash and not everybody is totally dependent on welfare. These HUD houses in the suburbs are not totally paid for. They get a voucher and whatever the difference is in rent, they have to come up with cash.

[QU

And you prove that the far left wants the make sure that is a small event since it was the far left that was against it!

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia

But never let a good religious narrative go to waste!

Educate yourself on real history vs the far left religious narrative!
As usual you confuse political parties with political ideologies.

[Q

You are confused Moon Bat.

The Civil Rights movement was certainly worthy of mention and a little bit of study in an American history class.

However the Cold War, Korea and Vietnam was a much larger factor in world and American history. The point that you failed to understand in my post was the disparity in the amount of time allocated to each subject.

The kid in the history passed the course being ignorant of the major post WWII history. That is pathetic when you think about it.

The stupid idiots that developed the curriculum were not interested in teaching real history but to kiss the ass of the minorities and White guilt Libtards. Despicable, isn't it?

That public school curriculum reflected a filthy ass Liberal agenda rather than reality. No wonder our kids are functionally illiterate when they graduate from a public school. A big waste of our taxpayer's dollars.
The civil rights era was certainly as influential as the Cold War, more than the Korean War And intwined with the Vietnam war. Why minimize it?

All teachers care about in my state are their bloated pensions....
What state is that? I'm in New Jersey now and I don't know enough about teachers here, but I'm originally from New York where I do know that what you've said is largely true.

Forum List

Back