Teachers walk straight outta Compton

Sure, we should pour more money down an academic black hole where most don't graduate, and most who do are functionally illiterate. If I were trying to get them a raise, I would go with combat pay.

Or we can do nothing and that will make it soo much better. Just imagine...

You'd think they would have seen this coming and lined up substitute teachers.
But then, at $80-$100/day each that tends to add up.

Substitutes are paid much less than the regular teachers. The regular teachers have violated their contract and should be terminated.

How did you get to rent in Compton being $1800 a month. Do you have any idea how poor Compton is? Compton used to be all black now it's primarily poor Hispanic immigrants. $1800 a month is more than most of them get paid.

Many teachers do not live in the communities where they teach. Many of them, like many others, commute on a daily basis.

The average price of rent in Compton is about $1800/mo. At $46k/yr, that would mean that over half of a teacher's annual salary goes to rent. That's before taxes, food, transportation and insurance, maintenance, medicine, utilities, work supplies, clothing, etc. Even at $87k/yr, teachers aren't being paid what they're worth to society.Meanwhile, banker billionaire criminals who killed the global economy with their shady deals are still enjoying their bonuses from public bailout funds.

Just how do you plan on paying them more clown , by raising taxes on the majority who have a median annual household income $50,000.00 or less......:cuckoo::cuckoo:

It speaks volumes when teachers get on their high horse about salary. Most of them do make more than the families of the children they teach. Their demands are obscene!

The average price of rent in Compton is about $1800/mo. At $46k/yr, that would mean that over half of a teacher's annual salary goes to rent. That's before taxes, food, transportation and insurance, maintenance, medicine, utilities, work supplies, clothing, etc. Even at $87k/yr, teachers aren't being paid what they're worth to society.

Meanwhile, banker billionaire criminals who killed the global economy with their shady deals are still enjoying their bonuses from public bailout funds.

Compton Apartments for Rent in CA - MyNewPlace.com
Not true, but don't let facts get in the way of your week argument. First, you can get a 3 bedroom apt for $1200. Second you can get a 1 bedroom apt for $600.

So if you are a new teacher at $46K a year (because that is the low end), then you could have two roommate payiong $400 in rent a year. Say these are single mothers. Well the father should be paying child support. Say its as low at $1000 a month, that means the teacher just has to pay $200 toward the rent.

If two new teachers are married to each other at $46K a year, that makes the household income at $92K. Sorry If I wouldn't been crying for that household!

LASTLY, if they want more money (which I can sympathize with), then they should demand the end to the highway robbery collective pension plans that eat up 60-70% of the tax dollar slated for education and seek more pay while they are working and invest in individual retirement plans like 401K and IRAs, like the private sector does.

The average price of rent in Compton is about $1800/mo. At $46k/yr, that would mean that over half of a teacher's annual salary goes to rent. That's before taxes, food, transportation and insurance, maintenance, medicine, utilities, work supplies, clothing, etc. Even at $87k/yr, teachers aren't being paid what they're worth to society.Meanwhile, banker billionaire criminals who killed the global economy with their shady deals are still enjoying their bonuses from public bailout funds.

Just how do you plan on paying them more clown , by raising taxes on the majority who have a median annual household income $50,000.00 or less......:cuckoo::cuckoo:

It speaks volumes when teachers get on their high horse about salary. Most of them do make more than the families of the children they teach. Their demands are obscene!

What that has to do with anything is beyond me. Smacks of jealousy mixed with a race to lower wages instead of raising them.

Race to the bottom horray!

Teachers stage apparent sickout at Compton high school - latimes.com

half the teachers call in sick to a Compton school because they are unhappy with their union representation...and they want more money of course.

the info I found on the internet says they make at least 46k - 87k.

I don't know how the poor babies survive.

If you think it is such an easy, cushy, well paid job, then why don't you be a teacher? Or do you not have enough education?

They knew what it paid when they chose their 'profession.'

The issue here is "teachers". Leaving their jobs, leaving their charges - their students.

Turning their backs on children.

Teachers aren't charges of children. Teachers aren't educators. Teachers aren't the educators or our progeny.

Teachers are, however, self-centered conceited unionist clowns who could give a flying fuck about their charges.

They walk off and say "fuck you" to us? I say "fuck you" to you so-called "teachers".

Fuck off you so-called "educators".

Teachers aren't martyrs.

Good heavens. I don't see a single posting that is relevant to the issue of the OP.

What difference does it make what the average rental is in Compton? Most of the teachers don't live there anyway. Why would they?

The question is whether they were justified in conducting a sick-out. Clearly, this is a violation of the state public-sector collective bargaining law, but is the district negotiating in good faith, or are they delaying because they don't want to pay appropriate wages and benefits? It wouldn't be the first time a school district has played this waiting game.

How do their compensation and benefits compare with other similarly-situated school districts in the same geographical area? Are they higher or lower? Are the teachers being made to suffer because the politicians don't want to fund realistic compensation?

It is easy to say that collective bargaining (unions) is not appropriate for the public sector, or that they are already making too much, but that ignores reality. They have collective bargaining in California, and the school district is obliged both by law and morally to bargain in good faith. If they won't deal honestly with the results of good faith bargaining (higher wages), then they should be removed and replaced with people who are more realistic - even if it results in changes that are painful to the taxpayers.

Honestly, this article doesn't provide enough factual information to judge whether this sick-out (assuming it is actually a sick-out) is outrageous or well-warranted by the conduct of the school board.

Can somebody from California who is interested in reality provide some more information?

Good heavens. I don't see a single posting that is relevant to the issue of the OP.

What difference does it make what the average rental is in Compton? Most of the teachers don't live there anyway. Why would they?

The question is whether they were justified in conducting a sick-out. Clearly, this is a violation of the state public-sector collective bargaining law, but is the district negotiating in good faith, or are they delaying because they don't want to pay appropriate wages and benefits? It wouldn't be the first time a school district has played this waiting game.

How do their compensation and benefits compare with other similarly-situated school districts in the same geographical area? Are they higher or lower? Are the teachers being made to suffer because the politicians don't want to fund realistic compensation?

It is easy to say that collective bargaining (unions) is not appropriate for the public sector, or that they are already making too much, but that ignores reality. They have collective bargaining in California, and the school district is obliged both by law and morally to bargain in good faith. If they won't deal honestly with the results of good faith bargaining (higher wages), then they should be removed and replaced with people who are more realistic - even if it results in changes that are painful to the taxpayers.

Honestly, this article doesn't provide enough factual information to judge whether this sick-out (assuming it is actually a sick-out) is outrageous or well-warranted by the conduct of the school board.

Can somebody from California who is interested in reality provide some more information?

IS there such an animal?

Teachers stage apparent sickout at Compton high school - latimes.com

half the teachers call in sick to a Compton school because they are unhappy with their union representation...and they want more money of course.

the info I found on the internet says they make at least 46k - 87k.

I don't know how the poor babies survive.

If you think it is such an easy, cushy, well paid job, then why don't you be a teacher? Or do you not have enough education?

Yes but what they didnt know is that people like you would be over their shoulders screaming they should earn less.

What is it with you guys...Every argument you make is that someone has too much and should earn less because some other people earn less too.

Thats not even an argument...there will always be someoen who earns less. That doesnt mean anyone else should just because. :cuckoo:

Yes but what they didnt know is that people like you would be over their shoulders screaming they should earn less.

What is it with you guys...Every argument you make is that someone has too much and should earn less because some other people earn less too.

Thats not even an argument...there will always be someoen who earns less. That doesnt mean anyone else should just because. :cuckoo:

Where have I said that? Post up. Now.

I call bullshit.

Nobody is saying teachers should earn less.

Sorry, I don't see anyone arguing that point.

Thats not even an argument...there will always be someoen who earns less. That doesnt mean anyone else should just because.

How about teachers...or anyone for that matter...earning what their skills, experience and ability to bring value warrant? What's wrong with the best teachers demanding the highest compensation and the worst earning less? Stated differently, why should teacher's salaries be determined by any entity other than the market for their labor...just like everyone else?

Where have I said that? Post up. Now.

Now tell me you brought up teachers earning more than the families of the children they teach for no reason. I dont believe anyone does anything for "no reason".

How did you get to rent in Compton being $1800 a month. Do you have any idea how poor Compton is? Compton used to be all black now it's primarily poor Hispanic immigrants. $1800 a month is more than most of them get paid.

Many teachers do not live in the communities where they teach. Many of them, like many others, commute on a daily basis.

Then they need to move and live among the people whose children they teach.

The average price of rent in Compton is about $1800/mo. At $46k/yr, that would mean that over half of a teacher's annual salary goes to rent. That's before taxes, food, transportation and insurance, maintenance, medicine, utilities, work supplies, clothing, etc. Even at $87k/yr, teachers aren't being paid what they're worth to society.

Meanwhile, banker billionaire criminals who killed the global economy with their shady deals are still enjoying their bonuses from public bailout funds.

I'm sure there are liberals that would take your word for it since the truth has never mattered much to them.

$980 is average rent in Compton, CA.

Forum List

Back