Teaching English in Asia?

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
Difficulty landing a teaching job in Asia teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) ?

I am renewing my teaching license. I currently work in healthcare making a little more than what teachers make in my state. I want to try one last stab at trying to land that teaching job I always wanted and actually be able to use that Master's Degree in teaching I earned years ago. In the past despite interviews I never could land that teaching job. I am thinking after I renew my teaching license if I can't land a teaching job in the states I might take a stab at getting a TEFL license so I can teach in Asia.

I see this as a great opportunity to visit Asia and live in an Asian country and get paid to do it to. Some people actually live for years in another country doing this and that would be awesome, I would love to live in like China or Thailand for 10+ years teaching English if I could. Escape from the US for a while.

Anyone tried this? Is is difficult to land a teaching job overseas?

Difficulty landing a teaching job in Asia teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) ?

I am renewing my teaching license. I currently work in healthcare making a little more than what teachers make in my state. I want to try one last stab at trying to land that teaching job I always wanted and actually be able to use that Master's Degree in teaching I earned years ago. In the past despite interviews I never could land that teaching job. I am thinking after I renew my teaching license if I can't land a teaching job in the states I might take a stab at getting a TEFL license so I can teach in Asia.

I see this as a great opportunity to visit Asia and live in an Asian country and get paid to do it to. Some people actually live for years in another country doing this and that would be awesome, I would love to live in like China or Thailand for 10+ years teaching English if I could. Escape from the US for a while.

Anyone tried this? Is is difficult to land a teaching job overseas?

Teaching as a native speaker from the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland is easy in these countries, especially China (which is increasing the number of teachers now after massive restrictions during Covid which ended near the end of 2022) and Thailand (which need 10 times more teachers than they have/can get)

Best money is in China, Thailand and Vietnam and Cambodia you won't earn much, Japan is expensive, South Korea is hard work, apparently.

China you need two years teaching experience, if you've a teacher you'll get it. There will be issues with dealing with management for the most part. International schools will be easier. China tried to kill "training schools" and it half worked, so a lot of people try and get jobs in kindergartens, which are a joke. Elementary school is teaching 60 kids in a classroom which can't have the kids standing up. Middle and High school often the kids haven't reached the right level but.... this is the book we're doing.

Thailand is great if you're lazy. Days off for going to the temple or doing sports, they really don't care, if you're outside of Bangkok I guess it'll be less stressful, Bangkok is hot and humid and a big tight city. I nearly got a job in Buriram province, but too hot for me.

Japan, it has the culture, but obviously you don't earn much and there's racism there and I've heard all sorts of tricks used against foreigners, but if you can cope with that then it might be a nice experience.

Biggest thing to worry about is recruiters, some are good, some aren't. In China, for example, they can fire you at any time before you start work. So you could get the visa, turn up in China and then they say "we don't need you, sorry". Not usual, but could. Some recruiters will try and get you AND the school to pay, you never, ever pay the recruiters, if they ask, you tell them to go ef themselves.

Last edited:
As I listen to many youbers on the issues of war in Europe, Chinas rise and those who have moved there, I have from time to time heard of those in Asia, particularly China but they also have taught elsewhere. It seems that China has decreased and even outright cut out foreign teaching, though it was probably just to get rid of the riff raff. You can enjoy a decent living in China teaching due to cost of living there. They have video monitors in the classrooms to make sure you dont bad mouth China. Japan is better paying but expensive for a closet to sleep and long term gigs are apparently scarce and foreigers arent viewed as positively (unless youre a blond woman) due to the homogenuous society. S Korea seems to be the better conditions but again, so.e suggest they experience discrimination, I dont know. I havent heard about Taiwan or others. I did hear that some placement agents arent as transparent as you would expect and you have to be careful about work visa requirements etc

Last edited:
Teaching as a native speaker from the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland is easy in these countries, especially China (which is increasing the number of teachers now after massive restrictions during Covid which ended near the end of 2022) and Thailand (which need 10 times more teachers than they have/can get)

Best money is in China, Thailand and Vietnam and Cambodia you won't earn much, Japan is expensive, South Korea is hard work, apparently.

China you need two years teaching experience, if you've a teacher you'll get it. There will be issues with dealing with management for the most part. International schools will be easier. China tried to kill "training schools" and it half worked, so a lot of people try and get jobs in kindergartens, which are a joke. Elementary school is teaching 60 kids in a classroom which can't have the kids standing up. Middle and High school often the kids haven't reached the right level but.... this is the book we're doing.

Thailand is great if you're lazy. Days off for going to the temple or doing sports, they really don't care, if you're outside of Bangkok I guess it'll be less stressful, Bangkok is hot and humid and a big tight city. I nearly got a job in Buriram province, but too hot for me.

Japan, it has the culture, but obviously you don't earn much and there's racism there and I've heard all sorts of tricks used against foreigners, but if you can cope with that then it might be a nice experience.
Wow see my response right as you posted yours. I didnt do too bad considering I took the information I basically mentally accumulated over a few years of watching videos unspecific to teaching but many who did teach or knew those who did covering the topic

My brother and his wife moved to Hanoi in Vietnam years ago and taught English. They stayed for about 5 years. His wife missed her family do they came back. He wished they stayed. Super cheap to live there.

Viet Nam is good. You might try the Phillipines, but the pay will probably be low but then so is the cost of living; it's a bit place. Singapore would be ideal, but I seriously doubt they have a shortage there, though like they fake claims by corporations they all claim they do; it's mostly just a lack of pay and nobody wants to move there.

My brother and his wife moved to Hanoi in Vietnam years ago and taught English. They stayed for about 5 years. His wife missed her family do they came back. He wished they stayed. Super cheap to live there.

He moved to Vietnam after he got married? Tactical error.

Forum List

Back