Ten years is up.....time to release everyone from Gitmo

Whether people want to admit it or not, yea, we are. Or are you telling me that there are not terrorists planning attacks on the US, its interests and its allies around the world? If that's your view, then I feel sorry for you. Truly, I do. That we have not been hit since 9-11 is down to our security services, and some dumb luck. When it comes down to it, it is either them or us, and I'm of the opinion that I'd rather it was them. But I care about my fellow Americans.

So in your view, so long as there are terrorists somewhere in the world who wish to do us harm then we are at war.

Horray for perpetual war!

Sucks doesn't it???

You act like this is all our fault.

Undermining our constitutionally protected freedoms by mistakenly calling something a war that is not, is the fault of those who made the call. Whether you consider that 'our fault', or the fault of neo-con jackasses running things, is academic.

Whether people want to admit it or not, yea, we are. Or are you telling me that there are not terrorists planning attacks on the US, its interests and its allies around the world? If that's your view, then I feel sorry for you. Truly, I do. That we have not been hit since 9-11 is down to our security services, and some dumb luck. When it comes down to it, it is either them or us, and I'm of the opinion that I'd rather it was them. But I care about my fellow Americans.

So in your view, so long as there are terrorists somewhere in the world who wish to do us harm then we are at war.

Horray for perpetual war!

Sucks doesn't it???

You act like this is all our fault.

Btw, looking on the White House site....Obama just gave an executive order which allows him to give weapons the South Sudan.

Afghanistan, bombing in Pakistan and Yemen, bombing in Libya, providing weapons in the Sudan......didn't he send ground troops there this Summer......who's the war-monger here really???

Pretty much every President in the last 70 years or so.

But yeah, it sucks that we are allowing the definition "war" to be twisted to the point where we will never not be at war.

No, fuckem.

They are not citizens and have no such rights.

Unless you want to let KSM live in YOUR basement.
Do you suggest that we keep them there for life in spite of the fact that all we have against them is suspicion? This is a bad habit for our Country to be cultivating -- as the recent NDAA passage attests.

Either charge these people or release them. And give them some form of compensation to get their lives back on track and reduce the temperature of their hatred of us.

We are what we do.

It's time to do something, this legal limbo we hold these men in is an affront to justice. As it stands it seems the plan is to hold them until they die of old age, shouldn't take any more than 40 years or so.

40 years works for me with these terrorists. :D
Unless you are privy to some inside information, everything I've heard holds the majority (if not all) of the Guantanamo prisoners as suspects, not convicted or otherwise known "terrorists." And keep in mind that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, which is what you are likely to be if our Country is invaded by a foreign force.

Also, it was widely reported that a lot of Iraqis were getting even with their personal enemies by falsely accusing them of being "terrorists."

These Guantanamo prisoners are not an abstract. They are real human beings and what has been done to them was done in our names, yours and mine. Are you comfortable with that?

No, fuckem.

That was the same ignorant, dumbass excuse Republicans used the LAST time. Either they stay at Gitmo or they are released into your backyard. Obviously the ONLY two options available. Republicans can't think of any others.

Because Republicans terrorized Americans into believing something once doesn't mean it works every time.

Don't they have the same rights as Americans? This is what the OP seems to be implying.
In matters like this it's best to think in terms of human rights.

The SCOTUS has specifically ruled on this, the US Gov't can indefinitely hold terrorists without trial[...]
What exactly is a "terrorist?" How many of these prisoners are guilty of nothing more than overt or covert armed resistance to a foreign invader -- us. The only difference between them and thousands like them is they got caught -- or are suspected.

If I'm not mistaken we do conduct a review of each case to determine if indefinite detention is warranted.
And what do these "reviews" consist of? I understand that in many cases the only evidence against some (many?) of them are the words of others who might have been personal enemies and/or reward-seekers.

For those who want to let 'em all go, are you willing to accept the risk that one or more of them would and/or could be responsible for a future terrorist attack against Americans somewhere in the world? I have yet to hear or see a liberal progressive who wants to close Gitmo and release these people man up and say they'll accept the responsibility for those who will die as a result.
These people are being held in captivity in my name. I have a right to know specifically what evidence supports their detention. And if the evidence is not substantial, release them.

We are what we do and we deserve the same.

That was the same ignorant, dumbass excuse Republicans used the LAST time. Either they stay at Gitmo or they are released into your backyard. Obviously the ONLY two options available. Republicans can't think of any others.

Because Republicans terrorized Americans into believing something once doesn't mean it works every time.

Don't they have the same rights as Americans? This is what the OP seems to be implying.
In matters like this it's best to think in terms of human rights.

In other words, all other arguments to release have failed in this thread so let's move to giving these terrorists the rights of citizens regardless if they are citizens.

For we need to allow them to attack us and do so indiscriminately. --> (according to Mikek)...

^^ Fail.

The SCOTUS has specifically ruled on this, the US Gov't can indefinitely hold terrorists without trial[...]
What exactly is a "terrorist?" How many of these prisoners are guilty of nothing more than overt or covert armed resistance to a foreign invader -- us. The only difference between them and thousands like them is they got caught -- or are suspected.

If I'm not mistaken we do conduct a review of each case to determine if indefinite detention is warranted.
And what do these "reviews" consist of? I understand that in many cases the only evidence against some (many?) of them are the words of others who might have been personal enemies and/or reward-seekers.

For those who want to let 'em all go, are you willing to accept the risk that one or more of them would and/or could be responsible for a future terrorist attack against Americans somewhere in the world? I have yet to hear or see a liberal progressive who wants to close Gitmo and release these people man up and say they'll accept the responsibility for those who will die as a result.
These people are being held in captivity in my name. I have a right to know specifically what evidence supports their detention. And if the evidence is not substantial, release them.

They are not being held in your name. LMAO

You have no rights regarding these terrorists. The military and government have the right.

You know? Those who were voted in.

Not you. :lol:

We are a nation of laws. One of our most cherished documents is the Bill of Rights which guarantees the right to a speedy trial, right to see the evidence against you and right to face your accuser

We, as a nation have done none of that and hold men who are "suspected" of being terrorists in indefinite detention. Isn't it time to put up or shut up and either try or release these men?

I have to agree...time to have trials of some sort. I disagree with those who say they are to have public trials since if there is ANY inkling of remotely compromising any security assets of the US, we should err on the side of protecting those assets.

My big question is the charges and what the punishment would be.

Listen retard. If any of them kill anyone else once they're released it wouldn't be worth it.

How much is a human life worth to you???

I'm tired of listening to these high-minded college-bred arguments. I'm sick of it to be honest.

Last edited:
No, fuckem.

You do not have to be a citizen to be entitled to basic human rights

Burden of proof is on the government

They aren't being denied any "basic human rights". They are fed better than what they were, they have a Quran and allowed to pray, along some physical activity every day.
They have it better than those Americans in a Super Max prison. Go figure.....
By that reasoning we should lock up the entire population of Iraq.

We are a nation of laws. One of our most cherished documents is the Bill of Rights which guarantees the right to a speedy trial, right to see the evidence against you and right to face your accuser

We, as a nation have done none of that and hold men who are "suspected" of being terrorists in indefinite detention. Isn't it time to put up or shut up and either try or release these men?

I have to agree...time to have trials of some sort. I disagree with those who say they are to have public trials since if there is ANY inkling of remotely compromising any security assets of the US, we should err on the side of protecting those assets.

Simple....ask them if they intend on going back to their old murdering ways.

If they say yes, then put a bullet in their brain.

Don't forget the waterboard

In other words, all other arguments to release have failed in this thread so let's move to giving these terrorists the rights of citizens regardless if they are citizens.

For we need to allow them to attack us and do so indiscriminately. --> (according to Mikek)...

^^ Fail.
Citizenship has nothing to do with rights. Physical location is all that matters. :banghead:

Read it:

Boumediene v. Bush

Last edited:

No offense, but this is the worst idea I've read on this board yet.

^^ Fail.
Citizenship has nothing to do with rights. Physical location is all that matters. :banghead:

Read it:

Boumediene v. Bush

That is not my post

^^ Fail.

Read it:

Boumediene v. Bush

That is not my post
Sorry. Fucked up the quotes.

No, fuckem.

They're not there for being nice people. They are there for the wanton stalking and murder of United States Citizens. Their recidivism rate runs around 95% of returning to lives of murder plots on Americans. Over here repeat serial criminals at some time are remanded to custody without the possibility of parole for less violent crimes than those perpetuated by GITMO detainees. Every one you let out hopes to take out 1,000 Americans some day and works his life to that end. The only way it ain't gonna happen is if we remand them to serving their life sentences where they cannot harm themselves and others.

Far simpler if we hold them to account according to their own country of origin. That way, they can all be held forever, or killed, without any consideration whatsoever.

No, fuckem.

They're not there for being nice people. They are there for the wanton stalking and murder of United States Citizens. Their recidivism rate runs around 95% of returning to lives of murder plots on Americans. Over here repeat serial criminals at some time are remanded to custody without the possibility of parole for less violent crimes than those perpetuated by GITMO detainees. Every one you let out hopes to take out 1,000 Americans some day and works his life to that end. The only way it ain't gonna happen is if we remand them to serving their life sentences where they cannot harm themselves and others.

No they are not

The vast majority had no involvement in 9-11. If we believe they are guilty of crimes, we need to prove it.

Basic premise of the Bill of Rights

Forum List

Back