Texas about to whack EV drivers upside the head!

:oops8:

Didn't AOC say recently that Texas would be turning blue soon?

Hmmmm....well soon going to be smashing EV drivers with close to a $500 fee....for not paying gas taxes.:hello77:

Texans May Have to Pay $200–$400 Fee for Driving an Electric Vehicle
Creating another tax to make up for lost gasoline taxes is wrong and a poor move targeting the electric vehicle drivers. If they are going to go to a tax per mile, or some form of it, they should do it by mileage across the board and dump the per gallon gas tax. Sounds like that republican state has already been taken over by the Democrats. Texans better keep an eye on their "privilege" tax on non-exempt businesses, which sound like an income tax by any other name.

Creating another tax to make up for lost gasoline taxes is wrong and a poor move targeting the electric vehicle drivers. If they are going to go to a tax per mile, or some form of it, they should do it by mileage across the board and dump the per gallon gas tax. Sounds like that republican state has already been taken over by the Democrats. Texans better keep an eye on their "privilege" tax on non-exempt businesses, which sound like an income tax by any other name.

But people don't like EV drivers getting a tax credit when they purchase a car. Most think it's ghey.

So since most people by far don't want to drive an EV, it's a political win for law makers.

Anyway....most EV drivers are well to do....they can afford it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

So since most people by far don't want to drive an EV, it's a political win for law makers.
Did anyone notice all of the EV car ads in the Superbowl? And in every one, they were plugging their car in to charge--- and walking away. When you fuel up a gas car, you don't have time to walk away.

Anyway....most EV drivers are well to do....they can afford it
Average income for EV car owners is $124,000 I believe.

But people don't like EV drivers getting a tax credit when they purchase a car. Most think it's ghey.

Anyway....most EV drivers are well to do....they can afford it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
I never saw a new tax I liked, even if it targeted somebody else. I understand it is a big oil state, so your statements make political sense.

$500 per year will probably be a lot cheaper than what Texans spend on gas taxes.
You reckon? Their gas tax is at 20 Cents/gallon which is actually close to lowest in the nation, only 6 states lower. Alaska is the place to buy gas, taxwise. 14.98 Cents per gallon.

Yes, but they are actually GETTING the gas!

EV owners will be paying for something they not only don't use but bought their EV vehicle hoping to get away from! :laughing0301:

Priceless.

Average cost of gas in Texas is currently $3.156 per gal. If your mpg is between 15 mpg and 28 mpg, you are spending between $0.21 and $0.11 per mile.

The actual mileage on a Tesla Model S Plaid is 300 miles per charge. Electricity in Texas costs, on average, $0.10 and $0.12 per Kw hour. So driving a Tesla Model S costs between $0.03 and $0.04 per mile.

So it will cost, at best, $0.08 per mile more running on gasoline. The average person in the US drives their car 12,000 per year. If it costs you $0.08 per mile more, you will spend $960 more per year to drive 12k miles.

But you are actually GETTING the gas.

:oops8:

Didn't AOC say recently that Texas would be turning blue soon?

Hmmmm....well soon going to be smashing EV drivers with close to a $500 fee....for not paying gas taxes.:hello77:

Texans May Have to Pay $200–$400 Fee for Driving an Electric Vehicle

From the linked article:
"The bill being discussed in the Texas state senate—Senate Bill 1728—would raise fees on electric vehicle (EV) owners as a way to make up for the gas tax they're not paying. The legislation would require an annual EV fee of between $190 and $240, an additional fee of over $150 for anyone who drives their EV more than 9000 miles a year, and an annual surcharge of $10 to fund a charging infrastructure advisory council."

$190 + $150 = $340
$240 + $150 = $390

When you add in the annual surcharge of $10, EV drivers will be paying between $350 and $400. Nearly $500????

Yes, but they are actually GETTING the gas!

EV owners will be paying for something they not only don't use but bought their EV vehicle hoping to get away from! :laughing0301:

Priceless.

Yep, EVs present their own unique challenges. It's expensive to build out the charging infrastructure and eventually they will require huge upgrades to the power grid. That's on top of the wear and tear on roads and highways. A Tesla weighs as much as my F-150.

Yep, EVs present their own unique challenges. It's expensive to build out the charging infrastructure and eventually they will require huge upgrades to the power grid. That's on top of the wear and tear on roads and highways. A Tesla weighs as much as my F-150.

Our power infrastructure and our roadways need to be upgraded anyway.

Imagine what the grid will require if you have 10s of millions of EV owners trying to charge while they're at work during peak electrical use.

I don't think we will get to "10s of millions of EV owners" very soon.

And given that most electric companies have better rates for off-peak hours, they would probably be charging them in the middle of the night. Most employers would frown on using company power to charge EVs.

Creating another tax to make up for lost gasoline taxes is wrong and a poor move targeting the electric vehicle drivers.

It would be ... if they weren't targeting EV drivers.

I'd like to see a tax on quinoa, kombucha, anything gluten-free, and kale.

I'd have no problem if they charged every electric vehicle driver a fee or fees as long as all the money would be put toward improving the electric grid and refueling infrastructure.

I never saw a new tax I liked, even if it targeted somebody else. I understand it is a big oil state, so your statements make political sense.

I'm not sure they do....

I've been paying taxes for over 40 years.... I don't think I have spent more than ten seconds thinking someone else's tax deductions were "ghey".

If nobody wants to drive an EV...I'd love to hear why the waiting list (reported in Business Insider) is as long as 10 months..

However, I do think it's incredibly ironic that a lot of conservatives who claim to be from Texas post fawning things about Elon Musk who is making these cars....that will devalue the one thing that makes Texas remotely appealing...oil.

You reckon? Their gas tax is at 20 Cents/gallon which is actually close to lowest in the nation, only 6 states lower. Alaska is the place to buy gas, taxwise. 14.98 Cents per gallon.

But driving in Texas is probably a higher distance thing than for people say in NYC.

My commute is 7 miles each way.

I don't think we will get to "10s of millions of EV owners" very soon.

And given that most electric companies have better rates for off-peak hours, they would probably be charging them in the middle of the night. Most employers would frown on using company power to charge EVs.

Until you can charge up an EV as fast as you fill up a tank of gas, EV's will never be usable for long distance trips, or any commuting at the limits of their ranges.

Forum List

Back