Texas about to whack EV drivers upside the head!

I'd have no problem if they charged every electric vehicle driver a fee or fees as long as all the money would be put toward improving the electric grid and refueling infrastructure.
The gas tax is for road repair and new roads. Unless your tesla hovers, pay the price like everyone who drives.

And make sure the tax money goes to road work.
I looked up gasoline and diesel prices in 1970. Gas was about 36 cents a gallon and Diesel between 16 and 23 cents. The lower prices are from an era but Disel was half the price of gasoline I remember some years later Diesel prices overtaking gasoline prices. But Diesel is not as refined which makes it less, and the prices affect our prices for anything delivered by trucks.

I looked up gasoline and diesel prices in 1970. Gas was about 36 cents a gallon and Diesel between 16 and 23 cents. The lower prices are from an era but Disel was half the price of gasoline I remember some years later Diesel prices overtaking gasoline prices. But Diesel is not as refined which makes it less, and the prices affect our prices for anything delivered by trucks.

Which makes me wonder why diesel is so expensive, since it is cheaper to produce. Is it a gov't function or the oil companies raising prices?

Yes, but they are actually GETTING the gas!

EV owners will be paying for something they not only don't use but bought their EV vehicle hoping to get away from! :laughing0301:

Priceless.
What a silly thing to say. You mean all EV's fly over the roads, and not on them? A tax on mileage would be better, but those driving on our public roads should help pay for them.

I'm not sure they do....

I've been paying taxes for over 40 years.... I don't think I have spent more than ten seconds thinking someone else's tax deductions were "ghey".

If nobody wants to drive an EV...I'd love to hear why the waiting list (reported in Business Insider) is as long as 10 months..

However, I do think it's incredibly ironic that a lot of conservatives who claim to be from Texas post fawning things about Elon Musk who is making these cars....that will devalue the one thing that makes Texas remotely appealing...oil.
Actually Texas has more wind power than any other state, and soon will have more solar. Texas is an energy powerhouse, and if they had competent politicians and business men, would be exporting electricity to the surrounding states.

Which makes me wonder why diesel is so expensive, since it is cheaper to produce. Is it a gov't function or the oil companies raising prices?

The latter. It is cheaper as it goes through less refining fractions. It was cheaper than gas until diesel caught on and was in demand and people were committed to it, then they jacked up the cost. Wait until you see how they bait in the EV owners then screw them.

What a silly thing to say. You mean all EV's fly over the roads, and not on them? A tax on mileage would be better, but those driving on our public roads should help pay for them.

No shit Sherlock. Try reading post #42.

Ol' Rock's First EV, the proud owner!

Flintstones-in-car.gif

:oops8:

Didn't AOC say recently that Texas would be turning blue soon?

Hmmmm....well soon going to be smashing EV drivers with close to a $500 fee....for not paying gas taxes.:hello77:

Texans May Have to Pay $200–$400 Fee for Driving an Electric Vehicle

California has been doing this for years.

Starting this month, a one-time upfront registration fee of $100 will be charged for 2020 model year plug-in vehicles in California. That will be followed by an annual registration fee of up to $175 based on the vehicle’s value.

Creating another tax to make up for lost gasoline taxes is wrong and a poor move targeting the electric vehicle drivers. If they are going to go to a tax per mile, or some form of it, they should do it by mileage across the board and dump the per gallon gas tax. Sounds like that republican state has already been taken over by the Democrats. Texans better keep an eye on their "privilege" tax on non-exempt businesses, which sound like an income tax by any other name.
EV buyers should not get any kind of grant towards purchasing one and they should pay tax per mile, equivalent to an ICE vehicle fuelling up. Then that will give a piece of reality to the climate freaks.

Tell that to the people already using them for long distance trips. Just another silly post from a silly person.
I know a rail company that tried EV vans. After the trial, they ditched them because the range was shit. One driver used the van, but the next driver couldn't until several hours went by to recharge it. I know you preach EV's yet will never own one because many climate freaks do that, but you are gonna have to open your fucking eyes and at least register that everyone else doesn't follow your pattern of life. That's why you're a fucking pillock on the subject, it's all about you and no one else.

EV buyers should not get any kind of grant towards purchasing one and they should pay tax per mile, equivalent to an ICE vehicle fuelling up. Then that will give a piece of reality to the climate freaks.
i remember when there were tax breaks for Hummers. Federal government using Tax code to influence what congress would like to influence you in favor of, to encourage new industry is not a new concept. Unlikely you will stop it, but be advised the EV break will go away at some point just like the one for Hummers. I can see where Oil State would not like it, as competition sucks, sometimes.

i remember when there were tax breaks for Hummers. Federal government using Tax code to influence what congress would like to influence you in favor of, to encourage new industry is not a new concept. Unlikely you will stop it, but be advised the EV break will go away at some point just like the one for Hummers. I can see where Oil State would not like it, as competition sucks, sometimes.
Grants distorts the potential owners mind.

Also, as tax dries up on diesel and petrol, EV owner's eyes will soon open as a 'drive per mile' tax kicks in. They're quick to scoff how cheap it is to charge 'now', but they don't have the brains to see the big picture. But, I can't fix stoopid.

Also, as tax dries up on diesel and petrol, EV owner's eyes will soon open as a 'drive per mile' tax kicks in. They're quick to scoff how cheap it is to charge 'now', but they don't have the brains to see the big picture. But, I can't fix stoopid.
I just think if they want road use paid for by a drive per mile tax, they should dump their gasoline tax and have everybody paying their road taxes on the same per mile basis.

$500 per year will probably be a lot cheaper than what Texans spend on gas taxes.

Well, let's look at that. The Texas state tax on gasoline is $0.20.

I have a 19 gallon gas tank. If I fill it with 19 gallons every time, and none of us never do that, that's $3.80.

Now, I don't live in Texas, granted, but based on my current driving habits I probably gas up every week and a half or so... let's just go with that... So I fill up about 35 times a year, let's round that up to 40... that would be $152.00 in state sales tax per year. That considerably less than $500.00.

Now, the EV drivers/owners need to pay something, they're using the roads just like the rest of us, but the amount being proposed in Texas seems almost retaliatory.

And how long, do you think, before the feds want their share?

The idea of a tax specifically on EVs is not new. But I think they should do away with the gas taxes and go with mileage taxes.

As for the big picture, the reduced pollution is enough reason to provide the small tax incentives we now see.

The idea of a tax specifically on EVs is not new. But I think they should do away with the gas taxes and go with mileage taxes.

As for the big picture, the reduced pollution is enough reason to provide the small tax incentives we now see.
How much less pollution do you think an EV produces

Forum List

Back