Texas about to whack EV drivers upside the head!

Well, let's look at that. The Texas state tax on gasoline is $0.20.

I have a 19 gallon gas tank. If I fill it with 19 gallons every time, and none of us never do that, that's $3.80.

Now, I don't live in Texas, granted, but based on my current driving habits I probably gas up every week and a half or so... let's just go with that... So I fill up about 35 times a year, let's round that up to 40... that would be $152.00 in state sales tax per year. That considerably less than $500.00.

Now, the EV drivers/owners need to pay something, they're using the roads just like the rest of us, but the amount being proposed in Texas seems almost retaliatory.

And how long, do you think, before the feds want their share?

The actual tax proposed by Texas legislature is well below $500 as well. But the OP's math skills are severely lacking.

But, as I explained earlier in the thread, if an ICE vehicle gets 25mpg, and the average price of regular unleaded is $3.21, it costs $0.13 per mile to drive. If the cost of electricity in Texas is between $0.101 and $0.12 per Kw hr, it costs between $0.03 and $0.04 per mile top operate. (And this does not include oil changes)

If the drivers drive the US average of 12,000 miles per year, the EV driver pays between $360 and $480 per year for the energy to do it. An ICE driver, getting 25mpg, will spend $1,560 per year for the energy to do it. Tacking $400 onto the higher priced electrical rate will still only be $880 per year to drive 12,000 miles. Well below what the ICE driver spends, especially if you add in oil changes every 3k milles.

How much less pollution do you think an EV produces

Even if all the electricity used by the EV is produced by coal fired or gas fired power plants, the amount of pollution released from a power plant is much, much less (per vehicle) than the average car on the road. The power plants have much better filtration systems on their exhausts than cars do.

When you factor in the pollution generated by creating, shipping, and disposing of the massive, toxic batteries in EVs, it's often a wash, or the EV actually produces more pollution overall. Not to mention recharging them using coal-produced electricity.

Whatever pollution is generated by the production and disposal of the batteries is localized to the spots where the batteries are produced and/or disposed of. It is not spead over miles of ocean and beaches like an oil spill is.

And the production of fuel and oil is not even close to clean. Add in the millions of gallons of oil from oil changes every 3k miles, and the pollution is equal to or greater than what the EVs produce.

Even if all the electricity used by the EV is produced by coal fired or gas fired power plants, the amount of pollution released from a power plant is much, much less (per vehicle) than the average car on the road. The power plants have much better filtration systems on their exhausts than cars do.
An EV reduces your co2 pollution by 17% to 30%. Is that more or much less than you thought?

The larger the battery, the more co2 is released to make the EV etc..

Clinton put a 50-cent tax on it back in the 1990's
Politician love to pass a tax. Our Republican governor put a higher tax on it before he left office. A huge chunk to be collect by his string of bit truck stops across the state, collected at the pumps and sent to state in 3 months. Money for the state, raising transportation costs and money to be made on 90 day notes for the outgoing governor. But, he was a Republican that was getting his fuel from the Communist Hugo Chavez to sell here. I don't stop at his businesses for anything.

Actually Texas has more wind power than any other state, and soon will have more solar. Texas is an energy powerhouse, and if they had competent politicians and business men, would be exporting electricity to the surrounding states.
And if it gets cold...the lights go bye bye...or did hear what happened last year?

Tell that to the people already using them for long distance trips. Just another silly post from a silly person.

People who have the $$ to afford a high end EV have $$ to afford the overnight stops required.

i remember when there were tax breaks for Hummers. Federal government using Tax code to influence what congress would like to influence you in favor of, to encourage new industry is not a new concept. Unlikely you will stop it, but be advised the EV break will go away at some point just like the one for Hummers. I can see where Oil State would not like it, as competition sucks, sometimes.
Competition spurs innovation.

When you factor in the pollution generated by creating, shipping, and disposing of the massive, toxic batteries in EVs, it's often a wash, or the EV actually produces more pollution overall. Not to mention recharging them using coal-produced electricity.
The batteries in the EV's will be recycled. Were they a naturally occurring rock, they would be considered high grade ore. You mean they don't create pollution by creating and shipping ICE vehicles? In the US, coal provides 19% of the electricity, renewables 20%, nuclear 20%, and natural gas 40%. You 'Conservatives' lie so much.

Does not even compare to the amount of CO2 released by the burning of gas or diesel in the lifetime of an ICE vehicle. Good Lord, you 'Conservatives' are stupid.
Good grief thicko. The 17% to 30% calculation was determined by the EU study. It's the saving over the life time of both Electric and ICE vehicles. From manufacturing, to running and maintaining them, to disposal. They included the carbon foot print of electric production too.

You thick lefty.

Good grief thicko. The 17% to 30% calculation was determined by the EU study. It's the saving over the life time of both Electric and ICE vehicles. From manufacturing, to running and maintaining them, to disposal. They included the carbon foot print of electric production too.

You thick lefty.

Then I guess I would have a smaller footprint, since the electricity I would burn is generated by hydro-electric dams, here, my hometown, and where my grandkids live.

You thick lefty.

Do they figure in the oil changes that have to deal with 3 to 5 quarts of used motor oil every 3k miles (over the lifetime of the car)?

Then I guess I would have a smaller footprint, since the electricity I would burn is generated by hydro-electric dams, here, my hometown, and where my grandkids live.
You would move towards the 30% end of the scale. Battery size is a major factor, hence the range between 17 and 30.

I drive about 36k and average 36 miles per gallon of gas and the Texas gas tax is .20, so what would be my yearly average on gas tax?

If I am correct I use one thousand gallons of gas per year and the tax for that that is issued to Texas is .20, so my tax payment yearly is two hundred dollars…

So I say I am paying less but hell maybe you can convince me otherwise…

That was for WinterBorn and not you…
Bruce, did you include this? .....
Texas​
20​
20​
0.1375​
"Other Taxes" include a 0.1375 cpg load fee (based on per 8000 gallons, generally equates to $11.00 per 8000-10000 gallon load)

www.salestaxhandbook.com › texas › gasoline-fuelTexas Gasoline and Fuel Taxes for 2022 - SalesTaxHandbook

I don't quite understand the fine print from the Sales Tax Handbook:

Federal Fuel Sales Taxes 2022
Federal Fuel Excise Taxes​

The price of all motor fuel sold in Texas also includes Federal motor fuel excise taxes, which are collected from the manufacturer by the IRS and are used to support the Federal Highway Administration. Federal excise tax rates on various motor fuel products are as follows:

Gasoline$0.18.4 per gallon
Diesel and Kerosene$0.242 per gallon
Liquefied Petroleum Gas$0.183 per gallon †
Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)$0.243 per gallon †
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)$0.184 per gallon †
Components of gasoline price
Components of diesel price

Included in the Gasoline, Diesel/Kerosene, and Compressed Natural Gas rates is a 0.1 ¢ per gallon charge for the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund (LUST).

† These tax rates are based on energy content relative to gasoline.

What percentage of the cost of gas in Texas comes from taxes and gas station profit?​

The diagram above shows how the prices of an average gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel are broken down among various components, including the cost of the crude oil, refining, distribution / marketing, and taxes. In most areas, state and federal excise taxes amount to about 13% of the cost of a gallon of gas. Gas stations generally only profit a few cents per gallon.

Because of the cancel culture decimation of the pipeline from Canada, gas will soon be $4.00 per gallon. 13% of $4.00 = $.52/ cents per gallon? 1,000 gallons may mean $520.00 in hidden tax fees? As I said, I'm not sure what they were trying to say in the handbook. (???) If that is accurate, you have a tax writeoff since you already paid it, plus the stated $200. I think I'd talk to an accountant unless you are one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back