Texas Man Cleared of Shooting Burglars

Why? It becomes the shooter's word against a dead person. How would you prove the shooters thoughts were true or not true?

Typically you don't have to prove this. You apply a reasonable standard - not only does the person have to hold a belief subjectively, but it has to be determined to be objectively reasonable to hold the belief. It's not a matter of whatever someone thinks being the deciding factor.

Why? It becomes the shooter's word against a dead person. How would you prove the shooters thoughts were true or not true? This is almost like hate crime legislation in a twisted sort of way. You can kill someone because of what you think.

Yes, if you think you're in danger.

I thought that but didn't take the time to write it.
I was busy eating my omelette....

Why? It becomes the shooter's word against a dead person. How would you prove the shooters thoughts were true or not true? This is almost like hate crime legislation in a twisted sort of way. You can kill someone because of what you think.

No, that's not what I'm saying Rav....I'm saying that COPS were WITNESS to the SHOOTING. THey testified FOR him. Had their not been COPS/WITNESSES to testifiy for Horn...and the two dead guys were simply walking through his yard and not commiting any crime, Horn would be in Prison. What I'm saying is that the witnesses saved him....

according to the law, he can't shoot any burglar unless it is night time....?

Under Texas law, people may use deadly force to protect their own property or to stop arson, burglary, robbery, theft or criminal mischief, at night.

wasn't this broad daylight?

and how come the stories on this NEVER MENTIONED a detective on site when he shot them early on? no news reported such....?

this was a burglary, NOT EVEN A ROBBERY.....for goodness sakes!

i feel sorry for mr horn, but this should have gone to trial ACCORDING TO the 3 laws posted by Brian, he met none of those scenarios, with his testimony or his voice as witness, on tape....

if it went to trial, he could have plead temporary insanity....cuz he DEFINATELY had lost his mind, IF YOU LISTEN to the full tape....and he planned on killing them for committing the burglary. HE DID NOT even know THIS neighbor....he would have killed them SOONER if it had been the neighbor on his other side, who he did know...... :(

so, if these were 2 white, American 18 year olds, WOULD Mr horn have not been in the very least tried for this possible vigilante crime?

care

IT does say at night, but that clause does not apply to the entire scenario.

In light of the burglary next door, I think he would still get a pass, since they were not just strolling innocently through his yard, and the evidence would back that up.

Typically you don't have to prove this. You apply a reasonable standard - not only does the person have to hold a belief subjectively, but it has to be determined to be objectively reasonable to hold the belief. It's not a matter of whatever someone thinks being the deciding factor.
We shall see. These new laws haven't been tested much in court. The way it is written in Florida you must only believe you are being threatened to take action. It's pretty easy to "believe" something when there aren't any witnesses.

We shall see. These new laws haven't been tested much in court. The way it is written in Florida you must only believe you are being threatened to take action. It's pretty easy to "believe" something when there aren't any witnesses.

Many laws have been phrased that way for many, many years, including common law rights to self defense, which is where these statutes come from. The belief has to be objectively reasonable.

IT does say at night, but that clause does not apply to the entire scenario.

That's right. Look at this excerpt, for example:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;

"during the nighttime" is specifically used two separate times, which tells you it doesn't modify everything, each use modifies what comes before it. In this case, theft and criminal mischief.

No, that's not what I'm saying Rav....I'm saying that COPS were WITNESS to the SHOOTING. THey testified FOR him. Had their not been COPS/WITNESSES to testifiy for Horn...and the two dead guys were simply walking through his yard and not commiting any crime, Horn would be in Prison. What I'm saying is that the witnesses saved him....

Can you link me to what they testified? I haven't seen it. The two accounts I've read from Joe Horn have some discrepancies. And this cop that witnessed it...I can't even tell if that is true or not.

Can you link me to what they testified? I haven't seen it. The two accounts I've read from Joe Horn have some discrepancies. And this cop that witnessed it...I can't even tell if that is true or not.

Aren't grand jury proceedings kept secret? I doubt there's a transcript available, unless they do things differently than I think.

Then it works both ways. If someone yells ****** at a black person, the black person should be able to shoot no questions asked.

Only if he yells "******' while running towards him with a knife or any other type of weapon. Or simply running towards him while yelling it...if you feel threatened physically you can shoot. If the guy is crawling out of your window with your TV yelling "******" you can shoot him dead...in Texas anyway. But, you better damn well have some witness or hope that the evidence proves your story. If it's discovered that there was no forced entry anywhere, then you may have a problem.

Many laws have been phrased that way for many, many years, including common law rights to self defense, which is where these statutes come from. The belief has to be objectively reasonable.
I don't think you are correct. We just passed a law that pertains to this subject. From what I understand, prosecutors are not prosecuting because it is felt some of these cases can get off under the new law...where in the past there would have to be a bit more evidence.

I love the way the left's hatred of Americans manifests itself whenever it comes to the law and/or courts, and how they are always so willing to throw out the very system that provides us with freedom whenever they feel like it....

If you happen to be smoking legally, no problem. If you aren't, who knows?

I'll give you the same advice i'd give your phantom gun-toting progressive:

Come get some.

dukenukem3dbox.jpg

I don't think you are correct. We just passed a law that pertains to this subject. From what I understand, prosecutors are not prosecuting because it is felt some of these cases can get off under the new law...where in the past there would have to be a bit more evidence.

I promise you I am correct :D If you think any jurisdiction is going to apply a purely subjective standard to any self-defense laws, you're mistaken. If that were the case, a really paranoid guy who is afraid of people who look at him could shoot people under the law. When the courts go to interpret these laws they're going to look at legislative intent and common law precedents, and they're going to apply an objectively reasonable standard. No one is advocating that you can shoot people if you think you are in danger no matter how unreasonable your belief is.

Forum List

Back