Texas' "Papers Please", Sanctuary City Bill Squashed

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
If you like Trump's immigration rhetoric, you're probably one of those tax and spend conservatives that also likes higher local taxes and crime, then-----then whine about higher taxes and crime - am-I-right?

Perry concedes 'sanctuary cities' bill likely dead
By Enrique Rangel
AUSTIN BUREAU
May 28, 2015

<snip>

“Let me just say that there are three problems with (SB) 185, that’s the one I’d like to concentrate on,” [Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls]Estes, said.

“First of all, it is absolutely important to realize that it’s the federal government’s job to enforce our immigration laws and I worry about the burden that it puts on our local police,” he said.

“Point number two is this: I feel that the bill lacks the protections for American citizens being stopped at random,” he said. “American citizens, no matter what their ethnic origin, have the right to go about their daily business and not be stopped and being questioned.

“Let me say this: the phrase ‘show me your papers,’ is more like Nazi Germany than it is about the U.S.A.

“The third reason is a political reason,” Estes stressed. “For the Grand Old Party, the Republican Party to be viable in the future, we have to compete for the American Hispanic vote. And nothing could alienate Hispanic Americans more than being stopped at random, arbitrarily and asked their status because of the color of their skin.”

<snip>

Actually, Sanctuary Cities Are Safer
By Josh Harkinson
Fri Jul. 10, 2015

<snip>

But there's a reason sanctuary city laws are so popular, with more than 200 state and local jurisdictions refusing to honor ICE detention requests. Evidence suggests that these laws don't just make cities safer for illegal immigrants; they make them safer for everyone.

Take San Francisco. If the GOP candidates are to be believed, then we should have seen a rise in San Francisco's murder rate in the 26 years since it enacted its sanctuary law, and a further spike since 2013, when the city amended the law to cover even repeat felons such as Lopez-Sanchez. Instead, the city's murder rate has fallen to its lowest level in decades:

Homicides in San Francisco
Total killings per year

We're seeing a similar phenomenon throughout California. According to a Department of Justice report released last week, the number of homicides in the state fell to to 1,691 last year, the lowest since 1971. Meanwhile, the state legislature and all but a few counties have enacted sanctuary laws, though they vary in the sorts of protections offered.

It's worth noting that crime has fallen nationwide in recent years, but San Francisco's murder rate is also low compared to that of comparable cities that don't have sanctuary policies:

Murders in San Francisco vs. Similarly Sized Non-Sanctuary Cities
Murders per 100,000 residents in 2013

Indianapolis.........15.17
Dallas...................11.39
Columbus.............11.06
Jacksonville..........10.99
Fort Worth..............6.08
San Francisco........5.75

<snip>

If you like Trump's immigration rhetoric, you're probably one of those tax and spend conservatives that also likes higher local taxes and crime, then-----then whine about higher taxes and crime - am-I-right?

By Enrique Rangel
AUSTIN BUREAU
May 28, 2015

<snip>

“Let me just say that there are three problems with (SB) 185, that’s the one I’d like to concentrate on,” [Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls]Estes, said.

“First of all, it is absolutely important to realize that it’s the federal government’s job to enforce our immigration laws and I worry about the burden that it puts on our local police,” he said.

“Point number two is this: I feel that the bill lacks the protections for American citizens being stopped at random,” he said. “American citizens, no matter what their ethnic origin, have the right to go about their daily business and not be stopped and being questioned.

“Let me say this: the phrase ‘show me your papers,’ is more like Nazi Germany than it is about the U.S.A.

“The third reason is a political reason,” Estes stressed. “For the Grand Old Party, the Republican Party to be viable in the future, we have to compete for the American Hispanic vote. And nothing could alienate Hispanic Americans more than being stopped at random, arbitrarily and asked their status because of the color of their skin.”

<snip>

By Josh Harkinson
Fri Jul. 10, 2015

<snip>

But there's a reason sanctuary city laws are so popular, with more than 200 state and local jurisdictions refusing to honor ICE detention requests. Evidence suggests that these laws don't just make cities safer for illegal immigrants; they make them safer for everyone.

Take San Francisco. If the GOP candidates are to be believed, then we should have seen a rise in San Francisco's murder rate in the 26 years since it enacted its sanctuary law, and a further spike since 2013, when the city amended the law to cover even repeat felons such as Lopez-Sanchez. Instead, the city's murder rate has fallen to its lowest level in decades:

Total killings per year

We're seeing a similar phenomenon throughout California. According to a Department of Justice report released last week, the number of homicides in the state fell to to 1,691 last year, the lowest since 1971. Meanwhile, the state legislature and all but a few counties have enacted sanctuary laws, though they vary in the sorts of protections offered.

It's worth noting that crime has fallen nationwide in recent years, but San Francisco's murder rate is also low compared to that of comparable cities that don't have sanctuary policies:

<snip>

How many of the murders were committed by "illegal immigrants" is the real question.
Yes murder rates have gone down across the nation up to 2014.

After years of declining violent crime, several major American cities experienced a dramatic surge in homicides during the first half of this year.

Milwaukee, which last year had one of its lowest annual homicide totals in city history, recorded 84 murders so far this year, more than double the 41 it tallied at the same point last year.

Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn said the mounting homicide toll in his city of 600,000 is driven by Wisconsin's "absurdly weak" gun laws – carrying a concealed weapon without a state-issued concealed carry is a misdemeanor in the Badger State – as well a subculture within the city that affirms the use of deadly violence to achieve status and growing distrust of police in some parts of the city.

Milwaukee is not alone.

The number of murders in 2015 jumped by 33% or more in Baltimore, New Orleans and St. Louis. Meanwhile, in Chicago, the nation's third-largest city, the homicide toll climbed 19% and the number of shooting incidents increased by 21% during the first half of the year.

In all the cities, the increased violence is disproportionately impacting poor and predominantly African-American and Latino neighborhoods. In parts of Milwaukee, the sound of gunfire is so commonplace that about 80% of gunshots detected by ShotSpotter sensors aren't even called into police by residents, Flynn said.

"We've got folks out there living in neighborhoods, where . . . it's just part of the background noise," Flynn told USA TODAY. "That's what we're up against."
Several big U.S. cities see homicide rates surge

By Enrique Rangel
AUSTIN BUREAU
May 28, 2015

<snip>

<snip>

By Josh Harkinson
Fri Jul. 10, 2015

<snip>

Total killings per year

<snip>

The con fact-rejection-party will now spring into action with any number of Red Herrings and Strawman arguments and appeal to emotion.

They don't have fact on their side so they will be flailing around for whatever they can touch. Same as Trump, same as Faux News, same as Dimbaugh.

Lying is all they have.

Mother Jones. lol

they started out as a bunch of young commies back in the 60's. can you imagine they are now a bunch old commies today. To see what I mean just look at: Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton

they have Trump the reason FOR EVERYTHING going on now. what narrow minded people commies are

You can't refute the facts, so you go to an ad hominem attack.

Conservatives only have one fallback position, the lie.

Mother Jones' facts are lies. Just liberal claptrap. How bad does it have to get before the worship of all things criminal are recognized as out of control?

Mother Jones' facts are lies. Just liberal claptrap. How bad does it have to get before the worship of all things criminal are recognized as out of control?

And yet... and yet, you and your Republican cohorts on this thread are unable to refute/debunk the Mother Jones article in the OP, why is that?

“Let me say this: the phrase ‘show me your papers,’ is more like Nazi Germany than it is about the U.S.A." ~ Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, Texas

How stupid do Republicans have to be, to be working at... actually working at alienating the largest minority group in the country
?

And yet... and yet, you and your Republican cohorts on this thread are unable to refute/debunk the Mother Jones article in the OP, why is that?

“Let me say this: the phrase ‘show me your papers,’ is more like Nazi Germany than it is about the U.S.A." ~ Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, Texas

How stupid do Republicans have to be, to be working at... actually working at alienating the largest minority group in the country?

When is the last time you had an interaction with government that you weren't asked for your papers. Hell I had to show ID just to ask about my property taxes. You can't even get on a Greyhound bus without showing your papers. Wake the hell up.

Obviously Trump and many others on the hateful, ignorant right don’t care about the third reason.

But they should.

How stupid do Republicans have to be, to be working at... actually working at alienating the largest minority group in the country?

When is the last time you had an interaction with government that you weren't asked for your papers. Hell I had to show ID just to ask about my property taxes. You can't even get on a Greyhound bus without showing your papers. Wake the hell up.
Another ignorant rightist who clearly doesn’t get it.

Mother Jones is good for when you need advice on solar panels or raising chickens. Not much else.

That'd be like if ESPN were to report on World Economics and Banking.

The source of information should be scutinized until the validity of the information provided is verified.

Faux News has been shown in studies to tell the truth about 18% of the time. Any adult with a normal brain would figure out that this isn't a place to get information and would turn it off.

But the tea party and other conservatives use this as their only source of information. Which is why other studies show Faux News viewers are the least informed in the public.

Mother Jones may be left wing, but if the information is accurate it doesn't matter where it came from.

oh please, everyone isn't as stupid to buy into their propaganda hateful crap. there is no reason to pay them any attention let along DEBUNK anything they say. you go right along swallowing their scum. don't EXPECT anyone else to because you posted it

The source of information should be scutinized until the validity of the information provided is verified.

Faux News has been shown in studies to tell the truth about 18% of the time. Any adult with a normal brain would figure out that this isn't a place to get information and would turn it off.

But the tea party and other conservatives use this as their only source of information. Which is why other studies show Faux News viewers are the least informed in the public.

Mother Jones may be left wing, but if the information is accurate it doesn't matter where it came from.
What Fox studies show they tell the truth 18% which means 82% of all they state are LIES????
Wow what hyperbole!
YOU realize that Politifact took "COMMENTS" made by commentators... NOT NEWS.
None of the FOX s file PunditFact statements were read as NEWS stories.
Oh and by the way, politifact.com... owned by West Pravda St. Pete Times owned by NON-Profit Poynter Institute!
And here is the status of the extremely biased Politifact.com...
PolitiFact Bias About PolitiFact Bias FAQ
But of course being the dishonest liars you FFOs are you won't even take the time to check out THIS BIASED source!
See I'm so confident YOU won't even go there because I'm calling it BIASED! YOU don't understand the term much less have the guts to open your eyes!

Forum List

Back