Texas Police Attack Children At Pool Party

FTA: The wrong mindset, on the other hand, can exacerbate a tense encounter, produce resistance, and lead to entirely avoidable violence. It can, and has, caused longterm damage to police/community relations. We shouldn’t be surprised that the kids Corporal Casebolt was yelling at weren’t eager to do what he was ordering them to do—no one likes being cursed at and disrespected in front of their peers, and people of all ages, especially teenagers, resent being treated unjustly. That resentment can lead to resistance, and Police Warriors—taught to exercise unquestioned command over a scene—overcome resistance by using force.

I think what this former cop is saying is.....well you get it

You mean kids who have never been disciplined in their lives...dont respect someone of authority using hard language to tell them what to do? Shocker.

So the answer is....back off and just kinda let people do whatever they want? Hey....worked in Baltimore.

What should officers do in similar situations? For starters, they must realize that the public—even a group of non-compliant teenagers—are not an enemy to be vanquished, but civilians to be protected, to the extent possible, from indignity and harm. A Guardian mindset encourages officers to be “procedurally just,” to ensure that their encounters with civilians are empowering, fair, respectful and considerate. Research of police and military encounters strongly suggests that officers are most effective at fostering goodwill and reducing antagonism when they approach each encounter with the goal of building civilian trust.

Officers should also look out for each other, protecting their colleagues not just from harm, but also from lashing out in anger or frustration. Policing can be intensely stressful, and officers should be trained and encouraged to help their peers deal with stressful situations. When an officer is losing his cool, another officer will often be able to intervene, giving the first a chance to collect himself. That type of peer support isn’t part of modern police culture—particularly not when the officer losing his temper is a supervisor and union official like Corporal Casebolt—but it should be.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Imagine that... a public servant actually working with the public rather than against it. Boggles the mind.
Fucking shame the police will still come when shit heads like you need them because you sure don't deserve thier protection

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

FTA: The wrong mindset, on the other hand, can exacerbate a tense encounter, produce resistance, and lead to entirely avoidable violence. It can, and has, caused longterm damage to police/community relations. We shouldn’t be surprised that the kids Corporal Casebolt was yelling at weren’t eager to do what he was ordering them to do—no one likes being cursed at and disrespected in front of their peers, and people of all ages, especially teenagers, resent being treated unjustly. That resentment can lead to resistance, and Police Warriors—taught to exercise unquestioned command over a scene—overcome resistance by using force.

You mean kids who have never been disciplined in their lives...dont respect someone of authority using hard language to tell them what to do? Shocker.

So the answer is....back off and just kinda let people do whatever they want? Hey....worked in Baltimore.

What should officers do in similar situations? For starters, they must realize that the public—even a group of non-compliant teenagers—are not an enemy to be vanquished, but civilians to be protected, to the extent possible, from indignity and harm. A Guardian mindset encourages officers to be “procedurally just,” to ensure that their encounters with civilians are empowering, fair, respectful and considerate. Research of police and military encounters strongly suggests that officers are most effective at fostering goodwill and reducing antagonism when they approach each encounter with the goal of building civilian trust.

Officers should also look out for each other, protecting their colleagues not just from harm, but also from lashing out in anger or frustration. Policing can be intensely stressful, and officers should be trained and encouraged to help their peers deal with stressful situations. When an officer is losing his cool, another officer will often be able to intervene, giving the first a chance to collect himself. That type of peer support isn’t part of modern police culture—particularly not when the officer losing his temper is a supervisor and union official like Corporal Casebolt—but it should be.

Imagine that... a public servant actually working with the public rather than against it. Boggles the mind.

I found an interesting article on this, from the perspective of a former cop.

A Former Cop On What Went Wrong In McKinney

The two officers in this brief video represent two different policing styles, two different mindsets that officers use as they interact with civilians: the Guardian and the Warrior. As a former police officer and current policing scholar, I know that an officer’s mindset has tremendous impact on police/civilian encounters. I’ve described the Guardian and Warrior mindsets at some length here and here; for now, suffice to say that the right mindset can de-escalate tense situations, induce compliance, and increase community trust over the long-term. The kids interacting with the first officer were excited, but not upset; they remained cooperative. Had they gone home at that moment, they’d have a story for their friends and family, but it would be a story that happened to have the police in it rather than being a story about the police.

This is the crux of the matter right here. I couldn't help noticing while traveling in Irleand, an entirely different mindset as regards the police. They don't carry guns and they don't walk around looking for trouble and pushing their proverbial weight around. They're seen by the general public as a positive, not a negative.

The difference between, "oh good, here come the police" and "oh shit, here come the police".

It's representative of this primitive American mindset that the way to deal with every situation is to blow it up, obliterate it, overpower it, imprison it, vanquish it --- instead of grokking it and working from there.

An interesting anecdote: in 2013, police in Iceland shot and killed a suspect for the first time ever.

Although the shooting was deemed justified in every way, with the suspect shooting and injuring 2 policemen, the police department repeatedly apologized to the suspect's family.

Ok. Then how? How would you enforce the trespassing?
In that situation I would realize I was vastly outnumbered by agitated adolescents who probably would not respond in a positive manner to my commands to disperse. And I would realize that the very worst thing that could happen here is shooting one of these kids, so creating a situation that could possibly make that necessary is absolutely out of the question -- minor riot or no minor riot.

The best and only acceptable way to defuse that situation is with a display of potentially effective force, meaning more cops. So I would send a radio request for assistance. And as anyone who watches COPS is well aware, within minutes there would be a dozen more cops there with sirens blasting and roof-racks flashing.

Then they could calmly and with effectively acceptable force subdue, control, contain the crowd and effect arrests where appropriate. There was no emergency, no pressing need for doing what Casebolt did.

The two officers in this brief video represent two different policing styles, two different mindsets that officers use as they interact with civilians: the Guardian and the Warrior. As a former police officer and current policing scholar, I know that an officer’s mindset has tremendous impact on police/civilian encounters. I’ve described the Guardian and Warrior mindsets at some length here and here; for now, suffice to say that the right mindset can de-escalate tense situations, induce compliance, and increase community trust over the long-term. The kids interacting with the first officer were excited, but not upset; they remained cooperative. Had they gone home at that moment, they’d have a story for their friends and family, but it would be a story that happened to have the police in it rather than being a story about the police.

>> An officer in McKinney, Texas, dashes down a sidewalk, losing his flashlight as he runs past a teenage videographer toward an emergency. Seconds later, the teen with the camera walks up to another officer, one who is standing with a group of kids. “I’m just saying,” the officer is saying in a calm, corrective tone that parents and school teachers everywhere will recognize. “Don’t take off running when the cops get here.”

He thanks the videographer for returning the flashlight, then listens for a few seconds as the kids around him try to explain who was and was not involved in a prior incident. “Okay, guys, I appreciate that,” the as-yet-unidentified officer says. He responds to their concerns—that the police had detained the wrong people—by saying, “Okay, that’s what I’m saying. They’re free to go.” While not casual, the officer is composed. His tone is friendly and professional as he engages with the kids.

Seconds later, another officer, Corporal Eric Casebolt, is shown interacting with some of the same kids. His angry tone and aggressive attitude stand in marked contrast to the first officer in the video. “Get on the ground,” he commands sharply while pulling on a young man’s wrist in a way that looks like he’s trying to force the man to the ground with a painful joint manipulation (technically a supinating wrist lock or, for martial arts enthusiasts, kote gaeshi).

When that proves ineffective, he grabs the back of the young man’s head and shoves him down. “I told you to stay,” he yells, pointing a large metal flashlight at someone off camera. “Get your asses down on the ground.” Like the first officer, he lectures some of the kids about running from the police, but he takes a very different approach. “Don’t make me fucking run around here with thirty pounds of god-damned gear on in the sun because you want to screw around out here.” He is anything but composed, calm or professional.<<
Precisely the point I was making yesterday. The first instance appears at video 0:35-:40; the second (Casebolt) at 0:48.

Hard to believe this asshat is a supervisor. But such is the warrior mentality that we've had foisted on us.

Clearly this is O'bama's doing. (/sarc)

This is the crux of the matter right here. I couldn't help noticing while traveling in Irleand, an entirely different mindset as regards the police. They don't carry guns and they don't walk around looking for trouble and pushing their proverbial weight around. They're seen by the general public as a positive, not a negative.

The difference between, "oh good, here come the police" and "oh shit, here come the police".

It's representative of this primitive American mindset that the way to deal with every situation is to blow it up, obliterate it, overpower it, imprison it, vanquish it --- instead of grokking it and working from there.

An interesting anecdote: in 2013, police in Iceland shot and killed a suspect for the first time ever.

Although the shooting was deemed justified in every way, with the suspect shooting and injuring 2 policemen, the police department repeatedly apologized to the suspect's family.

During that same trip in Ireland a newspaper in Limerick was lamenting that a recent murder was the 34th already that year (this was in August), a number that was way too high.

Not for the city of Limerick -- for the entire republic of Ireland.

The price of the mindset.

Look at all the white people standing around not being bothered. The kid holding the camera was free to go where he wanted like this is America or something

Yes, they were 'standing around'. NOT getting in cops faces, NOT raising a ruckus. Just 'STANDING AROUND'.

Remember the old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease?
I'm sitting here watching White People that were at the party being interviewed and talking about who started the trouble. They said the fighting started between two white women who started punching and pulling each other's hair and the cops never bothered them. They said the cops targeted black children when there were white children all around. That blacks ran when they realized they were being targeted. These white people who were there are being interviewed even as I write this.

caseboltvid4.jpg

And the policeman kneeling on the neck and lower back of a 14 year old screaming for her mother? And USMB right wingers have no problem with this? Who are the animals?

Seconds later, he pulls his gun on a bunch of teens. If he shot a couple, I have no doubt, Republicans, like the ones at the USMB would have sent him hundreds of thousands of dollars screaming "stand your ground".

In that situation I would realize I was vastly outnumbered by agitated adolescents

Correction they werent agitated until the officer escalated it...I mean, if you are one of the people who are able to see police actions on video.

So how many crime ridden ghettos do they have in Iceland?

Didn't see any when I was stationed there.

::::::::::: whhhhooooossssshhhh:::::::::::::

In that situation I would realize I was vastly outnumbered by agitated adolescents who probably would not respond in a positive manner to my commands to disperse. And I would realize that the very worst thing that could happen here is shooting one of these kids, so creating a situation that could possibly make that necessary is absolutely out of the question -- minor riot or no minor riot.

The best and only acceptable way to defuse that situation is with a display of potentially effective force, meaning more cops. So I would send a radio request for assistance. And as anyone who watches COPS is well aware, within minutes there would be a dozen more cops there with sirens blasting and roof-racks flashing.

Then they could calmly and with effectively acceptable force subdue, control, contain the crowd and effect arrests where appropriate. There was no emergency, no pressing need for doing what Casebolt did.

:lmao:So how you going to get the suspects to wait around for reinforcements?
Offer free coupons for the KFC?

There is virtually no violent crime in Iceland.

The question is why.

i wonder if we will ever see the day when the cops are fighting those "Killer Tomatoes" (if anyone remembers that movie classic from the 70's/early 80's)

::::::::::: whhhhooooossssshhhh:::::::::::::

Do you frequently take a shit while posting?

Why would they want anyone to "wait around"?

If they leave the pool, the problem is solved, isn't it?

The question is why.

Pssst....check out the black population numbers.

This is what happens when parents teach thier kids to be thugs

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Geez, even when no law is broken pre-teens and teens are labeled "thugs"?

Cant a black kid be a kid anymore? Oh, right...black kids are never kids. Steph keeps talking about how "big" they are. Wink Wink

Oh, all kids of color are labeled thugs, that is until the media does a back ground check on em' (smile)

Talking obviously is not an option so ya got me there....Is charades allowed?

Why would they want anyone to "wait around"?

If they leave the pool, the problem is solved, isn't it?

So your answer is to just let criminals run away when ever they want to.
Yeah...that'll work.

The question is why.

Pssst....check out the black population numbers.
ira_book_2_2.jpg

Forum List

Back