Texas sucks and Kansas Blows

Last time I was in Texas it was Houston and a huge storm had shut down the intnat airport there and I was stuck for a couple of days there while thousands of air passengers were stranded and had to be rerouted.

I was flying Delta and that was lucky because Houston was one of their hubs and they flew-in a bunch of planes from Atlanta to pick everybody up.

In the meantime I drove out to Galveston Island and had some gumbo and shrimp at one of the gulf side restaurants. I was lucky to be one of the ones to get a rental car while I was stuck there. Eventually they ran out.

The food was not bad.

The beach was not bad either.

The island was interesting.

Downtown Houston was massive like Los Angeles or Chicago.

Last edited:
Last time I was in Texas it was Houston and a huge storm had shut down the intnat airport there and I was stuck for a couple of days there while thousands of air passengers had to be rerouted.

I was flying Delta and that was lucky because Houston was one of their hubs and they flew-in a bunch of planes from Atlanta to pick everybody up.

In the meantime I drove out to Galveston Island and had some gumbo and shrimp at one of the gulf side restaurants. I was lucky to be one of the ones to get a rental car while I was stuck there. Eventually they ran out.

The food was not bad.

The downtown was massive like Los Angeles or Chicago.
Galveston restaurants generally are good to superb. The walk on the beach and then out on the stone jetties never fails to amaze me. Did you take the ferry to High Island? I don't even know if it runs there since that string of hurricanes after 2005.

The premier resort town in Texas is Padre Island which is near Corpus Christi about 100 miles south of Houston along the coast.

They have beaches and fishing and scuba there.

It's definitely the place I would go next time if I had a couple of days there.

Bring your scuba cert card with you too.

Last edited:
Last time I was in Texas it was Houston and a huge storm had shut down the intnat airport there and I was stuck for a couple of days there while thousands of air passengers had to be rerouted.

The food was not bad.

The downtown was massive like Los Angeles or Chicago.
Galveston restaurants generally are good to superb. The walk on the beach and then out on the stone jetties never fails to amaze me. Did you take the ferry to High Island? I don't even know if it runs there since that string of hurricanes after 2005.
I used my rental car to drive all over Galveston Island from north to south.

The restaurant I picked there was really good.

I remembered Glen Campbell's song about Galveston -- so powerful during the era of the Viet Nam War.

I stood on the beach and I sang it.

Forum List

Back