Texas woman guns down would be burgler

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
except that he was a former marine/current firefighter

Elderly Texas Woman Second Amendments Firefighter She Mistook for a Burglar
It was at this point that two large pieces of lead crashed through the door from the inside, striking Keen and knocking him backward. The neighbor claims she warned the “intruder” that she had a gun — nobody will ever know if a word was spoken, because Keen was pronounced dead at the hospital. She called 911 after opening the door and recognizing the body staining the wood of her suburban front porch.

There was no evidence of any breakage associated with the attempted entry. All evidence indicates that Keen used nothing more than his key on the door — which is more evidence than there is that Keen received any warning before getting shot in the chest.

discuss...

It was at this point that two large pieces of lead crashed through the door from the inside, striking Keen and knocking him backward. The neighbor claims she warned the “intruder” that she had a gun — nobody will ever know if a word was spoken, because Keen was pronounced dead at the hospital. She called 911 after opening the door and recognizing the body staining the wood of her suburban front porch.

There was no evidence of any breakage associated with the attempted entry. All evidence indicates that Keen used nothing more than his key on the door — which is more evidence than there is that Keen received any warning before getting shot in the chest.

discuss...

Chit happens. Sad case all the way around. Not good when we loose our own due to friendly fire

-Geaux

To many folks using guns to solve everyday dilemmas...are laws like "stand ur ground" and easy access to guns really making us safer...or more endangered?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

To many folks using guns to solve everyday dilemmas...are laws like "stand ur ground" and easy access to guns really making us safer...or more endangered?

To your question. I don't think so. I think its more of the fact that Americans are realizing our culture, and its enabling government, have bred a society where crime is not seen in the same light as it was years ago. Now criminals are more often painted as the victim thus, there are no consequences to deter crime. So you get more....

Sure, years ago someone trying to open your front door garnered pause... In today's society, not so much

Just my 2 cents

-Geaux

The guy was drunk as a skunk, he's on the front porch of some old lady, rattling her doorknob and making enough noise to wake the dead. If she warned him, he probably didn't take any notice because he was half bloody brain dead anyway.

The old lady shot him.

Now, should she have shot him when he was outside the house, having not yet entered? Probably not. But she's old, feeling vulnerable, and made what she believed to be the right decision. She should have called the cops, yes, but the guy shouldn't have been on her front porch.

Bloke shouldn't have gotten smashed.

Let's tell all three sides of the Progressive Trayvon Martin story in order to be fair, shall we?

Not only was it a Progressive smear campaign on the Second Amendment and the right to keep and bear arms, but it was also a Progressive smear campaign on the Sixth and Seventh Amendments and the Jury System (right to trial by Jury) and Progressive smear campaign on the Fifth Amendment (double jeopardy clause, remember when the MSM was cheering on Eric Holder and the DoJ because they wanted to retry Zimmerman under the dual sovereign precedent?).

Gun deaths have steadily declined over the past 20 years.

The guy was drunk as a skunk, he's on the front porch of some old lady, rattling her doorknob and making enough noise to wake the dead. If she warned him, he probably didn't take any notice because he was half bloody brain dead anyway.

The old lady shot him.

Now, should she have shot him when he was outside the house, having not yet entered? Probably not. But she's old, feeling vulnerable, and made what she believed to be the right decision. She should have called the cops, yes, but the guy shouldn't have been on her front porch.

Calling the cops after the horse has left the barn. But yes, you should dial 911 so they can hear your warning and ensuing gun shots

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, that is if they decide to respond since they have no legal obligation of any kind to do so.

-Geaux

The old lady shot him.

A capital offense if I have ever hear one....

Now, I finally have a plan on how to deal with all those pesky trick or treaters on Halloween.

The old lady shot him.

A very sad tragedy, my prayers go out to Sam Keen's family members.

After reading the story, I'm asking myself if she should have called 911 as soon as she heard someone outside her home rattling her doorknob. However, given her age, and if an intruder was already there and really was trying to break in, her focus should have been the front door instead of the phone. She had to make sure that no one got into her home.

If she did warn him, then she did nothing wrong. The gun was the only way to protect herself. No way should she allow anyone to break into her home.

Mayor Annise Perker said it right:
No one did anything wrong. It was just a confluence of events that provoked a tragedy.

If he stuck around after being ordered to leave, then I can't blame the woman for doing what she did.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

P.S. If a person's reason for being at the door of another person's home is legitimate enough, they won't hesitate to say so.

Last edited:
Mayor is right: confluence of bad situations.

Don't get plastered and then go home.

Drink responsibly and then go home.

Indeed. A confluence of events that starts with a locked door, and ends with a Texan who would rather kill a neighbor through a locked door than fire a warning shot through its corner. Or not fire at all…because locked door. But, she had the legal right in Texas, and there are fortunately no witnesses left to testify on his behalf — so it’s all okay.
George Zimmerman would approve.

What a dumb fucking source. Whiny bastards. She had the right to shoot him. I blame him and his dumb ass friends for allowing him to go home completely drunk. WHY is a married man going out and getting shit faced when he has a wife at home? Maybe its just me because I don't do that...sad story all around but leave it to fucking anti gun rights assholes to make it a political thing.

Indeed. A confluence of events that starts with a locked door, and ends with a Texan who would rather kill a neighbor through a locked door than fire a warning shot through its corner. Or not fire at all…because locked door. But, she had the legal right in Texas, and there are fortunately no witnesses left to testify on his behalf — so it’s all okay.
George Zimmerman would approve.

What a dumb fucking source. Whiny bastards. She had the right to shoot him. I blame him and his dumb ass friends for allowing him to go home completely drunk. WHY is a married man going out and getting shit faced when he has a wife at home? Maybe its just me because I don't do that...sad story all around but leave it to fucking anti gun rights assholes to make it a political thing.

he's a ..... errr.....was a former marine. You ever heard of PTSD? I heard a lot about it when I was at the VA getting unrelated services. Some people drink to deal w/ it. Drinking to deal w/ it is sometimes subconscious.

what do you have to say now? :neutral:

Don't forget...if she fired a warning shot and didn't kill him...she could go to jail for 30 years like that Woman who shot in the air to scare off her abusive husband ...It appears that in Texas and Florida...ur only in trouble if u let 'em live...

The old lady shot him.

A capital offense if I have ever hear one....

Now, I finally have a plan on how to deal with all those pesky trick or treaters on Halloween.

Pop a cap in their asses.

discuss...

From your link, let's continue.

Keen, former Marine and current firefighter, had been out celebrating St. Patrick’s day with friends at a few local bars, and by most accounts was thoroughly smashed enough to make the Irish proud. At the end of the night, his friends shoveled Keen into a cab, and sent him home. The cab dropped Keen off in front of his house on Youpon lane, and he proceeded to stumble to his front door.

Here come the excuses:

But houses on Youpon Lane all look pretty much the same in the dark, especially when you’re blind drunk. Keen wound up walking up to the wrong house, which belonged to a 67-year-old woman. Keen tried his key in the lock, but to no avail. As is the way with someone who is staggering drunk, he tried for some time to get the knob to turn, probably baffled by the failure of the lock cylinder to turn

Interesting that, since the cab had brought him to his home.

Sooooo, let's make the scared woman the 'bad guy' here. :thup:

Chit happens.

Moral of the story, don't get so blind drunk that you lose your facilities.
:eusa_whistle:

~My heart goes out to the man's family.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back