Texas woman guns down would be burgler

To many folks using guns to solve everyday dilemmas...are laws like "stand ur ground" and easy access to guns really making us safer...or more endangered?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

To your question. I don't think so. I think its more of the fact that Americans are realizing our culture, and its enabling government, have bred a society where crime is not seen in the same light as it was years ago. Now criminals are more often painted as the victim thus, there are no consequences to deter crime. So you get more....

Sure, years ago someone trying to open your front door garnered pause... In today's society, not so much

Just my 2 cents

-Geaux

Dude, we lock up 2 million people, while most other industrial democracies lock up less than 100K.

We are one of the last countries that still imposed the barbarism of the Death Penalty.

and we have a gun industry that peddles guns to Granny Trigger who shoots a firefighter who was trying to help her.

So it begs the questions- If prisons and guns are making us safer, why are we so unsafe with all the prisons and guns we have?

^ that

the prison industrial complex (remember that judge caught last year sentenceing youths to for-profit prisons so that he could get kick-backs?)

and the gun lobby Every school child knows about their "you can never have enough fire sticks" nonsense.

Hmmm. Unfortunate incident. I've always been taught to wait until they get inside before shooting. Also, call 911 and tell them someone is trying to break into your house and that you have a gun. I've heard the cops will respond quicker if they know someone might get shot, but who knows.

Also, when the cops do arrive, put that damn gun down and get the hell away from it. If you're holding it when the cops get there, they might shoot YOU!!

I think we all need to stop and imagine how damn scary it would be to be an elderly woman living alone and you hear what to any reasonable person sounds like someone trying to break into your house. And also, you're responsible for what you do when you get sloppy drunk. Drinking isn't an excuse. He went and got himself killed. Very, very unfortunate situation.

Last edited:
To many folks using guns to solve everyday dilemmas...are laws like "stand ur ground" and easy access to guns really making us safer...or more endangered?

To your question. I don't think so. I think its more of the fact that Americans are realizing our culture, and its enabling government, have bred a society where crime is not seen in the same light as it was years ago. Now criminals are more often painted as the victim thus, there are no consequences to deter crime. So you get more....

Sure, years ago someone trying to open your front door garnered pause... In today's society, not so much

Just my 2 cents

-Geaux

Dude, we lock up 2 million people, while most other industrial democracies lock up less than 100K.

We are one of the last countries that still imposed the barbarism of the Death Penalty.

and we have a gun industry that peddles guns to Granny Trigger who shoots a firefighter who was trying to help her.

So it begs the questions- If prisons and guns are making us safer, why are we so unsafe with all the prisons and guns we have?

What makes you think prisons make us safe?

Nothing to discuss. She had the right to do it there.

So I have the right to walk down the street w/ a colt contender strapped to my waist w/o requiring a permit. Its not illegal here but, is it wise :doubt:

LOL, don't move to my state. Not too long ago we made it legal to carry a CONCEALED weapon WITHOUT A PERMIT. :)

I know people who own 100 guns. Not crazy people, not criminals...just your typical rural Alaskan with plenty of money to spend. :)

But even here I've grown up with the mantra, "Don't shoot them until they step inside the door, and make sure they fall inside!" :) Just good common sense.

Last edited:
67 is not elderly dammit! I'll be 63 in a month...and can still party with the best...

67 is not elderly dammit! I'll be 63 in a month...and can still party with the best...

Texas law treats a crime against a 67 year old the same way it does against a child. In fact, it is the exact same law that provides for enhancement based on inability to defend yourself.

Forum List

Back