Thank you President Obama

hey remember when lowering gas prices and putting an end to speculators, which he claimed was the problem was going to be his top priority? obama is the biggest puppet of special interests to ever set foot in washington

The government makes more from gas in California than the gas companies do. We pay a 39.5 per gallon in tax. Ouch!

same with cigarettes. the government makes more on a pack then tobacco companies do.

think they are really concerned about our health?

Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

a record for high gas prices. Liberals went off the wall blaming Bush jr for high gas prices, but Obama sets a record and the same lwing jerks are quiet.

Don't be an idiot. Presidents have nothing to do with controlling gas prices. It's an international fungible commodity.

Gas prices have been stable anyway.

Duh.

If gas prices are stable, how come it feels like we're paying more for gas? percentage of family budget...

...although the inflation-adjusted price of gasoline is similar now to what it was in 1980, fuel efficiency has drastically reduced the cost we as drivers incur per mile in inflation-adjusted dollars. This effect is only bound to get more pronounced as General Motors (NYS: GM) , Ford (NYS: F) , and Toyota Motor (NYS: TM) agreed in July 2011 to double fuel efficiency to an average of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025.

You're probably now wondering, "Then why do I feel like I spend so much on gas at the pump?" The answer to that question is simple: real wage growth stinks!

cpiwages0626.jpg

Source: St. Louis Federal Reserve; Data360.org. Based on private-sector hourly earnings.

Although nominal wages have tripled from $6.57 to nearly $20 per hour since 1980, the negative effects of inflation have reduced that 200% gain to a measly 1.51% real wage increase -- in 32 years! Compare this 1.51% real pay raise to gasoline's 40% bump, and there's your answer to why gas feels like it costs more.

I see...so according to FakeStarkey...the gas prices 8 years ago was caused by Greedy oil companies in cahoots with Republicans and the oil rich Bush President.
Now it is cause by spec markets and demand.
I am so surprised. --> :neutral:

I understand it just fine.

The POTUS, whoever he is, has nothing to do with gas prices. Its all speculators.

The POTUS has nothing to do with high gas prices and he sure as shit has nothing to do with the prices when they come down.

Hell. I can remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon. You could fill your vehicle for $5 bucks. Of course we will never see that again.

Indeed. I realize that it was back in the "dark ages" of the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s but it was never "uncommon" to see "gas wars" - you know where gas stations actually COMPETED against one another? you could fill up for $4-5 bucks and ride your butt off.

When there is no competition, there is no equitable way to control the price. Oil companies ran the Independents out of business years ago. Now, there usually isn't a nickels difference between station A, station B and station C.

Free market my ass......

The POTUS, whoever he is, has nothing to do with gas prices. Its all speculators.

The POTUS has nothing to do with high gas prices and he sure as shit has nothing to do with the prices when they come down.

Hell. I can remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon. You could fill your vehicle for $5 bucks. Of course we will never see that again.

Indeed. I realize that it was back in the "dark ages" of the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s but it was never "uncommon" to see "gas wars" - you know where gas stations actually COMPETED against one another? you could fill up for $4-5 bucks and ride your butt off.

When there is no competition, there is no equitable way to control the price. Oil companies ran the Independents out of business years ago. Now, there usually isn't a nickels difference between station A, station B and station C.

Free market my ass......

I have a little experience here.. I spent a couple of years managing Convenience Stores for a couple of different brands. Twice a day at most stores, three times a day at others, I would have to drive and check prices at other stores and enter them into a computer or call them in. Within an hour or so I would get notification to either raise, lower, or leave my prices alone.

The Brent and the WTI have been over $100 for quite a while.

When you guys understand that the price is driven by speculation and by the demands of energy for industrializing in China and India, you will stop sounding so silly.

Still defending Obama I see.

Much as I dislike Obama, Jake is pretty much right on.

When you guys understand that the price is driven by speculation and by the demands of energy for industrializing in China and India, you will stop sounding so silly.

The reason liberals gave for high gas prices when Bush and Cheney were in office was because they were both 'big oil' men. All of a sudden it is speculation and industrialization causing it.

I call BS.

It's your own BS you are stepping in, son.

What was gas last year on this day?

No, it is Cheney & Bush manipulating the markets...

They are out of office and have been for over 4.5 years. IF gas prices being high under bush is Bush's fault, the same standard applies to BO.

The first thing that MUST be understood here, on this forum, is that no matter what - it's Bush's fault. Oil too high? Blame Bush. Starving kids in Africa? Blame Bush. Television reception is lousy? Blame Bush.

Barry is our savior. He would have made America a utopia by now were it not for Bush. If the price of tea goes up a penny in Bejing - well, you get the point....:lol:

Randall, that statement of yours above is why the TPM are now irrelevant nationally and in most states.

Nobody has said Bush is at fault today.

Speculation and the industrialization of China and India are driving the Brent and the WTI

Objectivity for Lonestar and squeeze and the rest of the TPM generally escapes them because of their personal, subjective goals, many of which are not good for America.

Your America is changing in ways, Lonestar, which you don't like and can't stop.

International global forces, such as engery development and speculation, trump parochial desires from the deep woods of Texas.

They are out of office and have been for over 4.5 years. IF gas prices being high under bush is Bush's fault, the same standard applies to BO.

The first thing that MUST be understood here, on this forum, is that no matter what - it's Bush's fault. Oil too high? Blame Bush. Starving kids in Africa? Blame Bush. Television reception is lousy? Blame Bush.

Barry is our savior. He would have made America a utopia by now were it not for Bush. If the price of tea goes up a penny in Bejing - well, you get the point....:lol:

Randall, that statement of yours above is why the TPM are now irrelevant nationally and in most states.

Speculation and the industrialization of China and India are driving the Brent and the WTI

Dude, it's called sarcasm.. God you're dumb.

:cuckoo:

Too be fair, the Monkey in Chief can do little to control gas prices. The fuel prices obviously spike every time he and Herman Munster (Mr. Ketchup) rattle their sabres, or in this case pocket knives, but there is little he can do about it.

First, I would invite you to read post #1. Merely attempting to point out to a poster that here, on this forum, it is ALWAYS Bush's fault, regardless of the facts.

Second, I understand EXACTLY how the price of crude is manipulated daily. Additionally, I understand that the United States is currently pumping oil at rates unheard of in the past.

Unfortunately, rather than allow this AMERICAN oil (taken from beneath OUR collective feet - the OWNERS of this oil) we are allowing multi-national companies to reap record profits (to the tune of 80-100 BILLION dollars a year) by sending OUR oil to China to bolster THEIR economy.

They take oil from Alaska? Their citizens get a check each year. The rest of us pay through the nose. This is a national resource of these United States. NOT a commodity belonging to Shell Oil.

That's too hard for the peabrained right wingers to understand. It's just easier to blame "da libs" and Obama.

So why were Bush & co blamed but Obama is given a free pass?

Mind boggling the obtuse attitude of some of you. Please tell me you really aren't this stupid.

If Bush was (erroneously) blamed for high gas prices when he was prez then Obama must also be (erroneously) blamed for high gas prices while he is prez. Point: He. Isn't. Blamed. The. Media. Is. Silent. (kinda like how they're all quiet about the number of military deaths since Obama has been in office. :eusa_shhh:)

The reason liberals gave for high gas prices when Bush and Cheney were in office was because they were both 'big oil' men. All of a sudden it is speculation and industrialization causing it.

I call BS.

It's your own BS you are stepping in, son.

What was gas last year on this day?

I am not here to look up statistics for you, but I assure you that it was over $3 a gallon.
Actually, I agree that the world demand for oil is the major factor in the price of gas. My only point is the media and liberals insisted for 8 years that the price of gas was Bush and Cheney's fault, but as soon as Obama took office, the mantra became "the President has nothing to do with gas prices."

That is the BS I was referring too. Do you deny that as fact?

Free market my ass......

Yup. I can remember when the gas station on a corner would drop the price by a penny just to get one up on the station on the other corner. Gas wars were common.

Wasn't till the non existant gas shortage in the 70's that the price for gas went to $1.00 a gallon. Hasn't looked back since.

Nope. No gas wars are a thing of the past.

Free market my ass......

Yup. I can remember when the gas station on a corner would drop the price by a penny just to get one up on the station on the other corner. Gas wars were common.

Wasn't till the non existant gas shortage in the 70's that the price for gas went to $1.00 a gallon. Hasn't looked back since.

Nope. No gas wars are a thing of the past.

On a lighter note, I remember once watching two gas stations in my hometown (across the street from each other) go from .38 per gallon down to .27 per gallon in about an hour. Hell, things like that used to be common place.

Unfortunately, there is no longer competition from oil companies. There is nothing more than collusion in today's market place among the oil companies. We, the public, are going to pay the "going rate" no matter where we are. You will never see more than a penny or two difference in any of these companies. Just wont happen.

That part of America is dead and gone.

Gas prices set record: 1,000 days above $3 a gallon

a record for high gas prices. Liberals went off the wall blaming Bush jr for high gas prices, but Obama sets a record and the same lwing jerks are quiet.

Gasoline got over four bucks a gallon during the Bush years at one point. He deserved to get bashed for it. His aggressive war policy in the Middle East was to blame, and he wasn't even winning the war. He was just an all around failure. The GOP will probably never get the White House back, and Bush is who conservatives should blame.

Forum List

Back