Thanksgiving

Bullshit. We just get tired of the same old sad propaganda that insists that Thanksgiving has always been a secular holiday.

It hasn't. But continue to try to remove God from everything.

And nobody has said that people who don't believe in God can't celebrate Thanksgiving; it's dimwitted to pretend that or to think that just because you imply that it's true. Secularists think they can wave a wand and prevent everyone, everywhere, from ever talking about God, and likewise they can erase and re-scribble history to delete all references to God.

Thanksgiving in the US was specifically created to observe a day of Thanks to GOD for our blessings. Does that mean everybody HAS to give thanks to God? Nope. Has anyone ever SAID that they must? Nope.

ya know.. if you were on about christmas and easter... i would be right there with you defending it as a "christian" holiday.

not this this one. Im pretty tired of the "christians" putting god, their god, into everything and making it their very own.

i think it is dimwitted to call thanksgiving....a harvest festival... a christian thing.

What other countries celebrate thanksgiving, btw?

Just wanted to list a few:

"In China
The Chinese celebrate August Moon festival that falls on the 15th day of 8th lunar month of their calendar. Chinese believe that the moon is roundest and brightest on this day. Below the heavenly moonlight, lovers speak out their heart to each other. It is also known as Women Festival. Conventionally women are considered similes to warm and compassionate virtues and have the gift of fertility, just like Mother Earth. Unlike the famous pumpkin pie, the Chinese delicacies consist of moon-cake. Friends and relatives convey their regard to each other by gifting moon cake.

In Rome
The Roman harvest festival known as Cerelia was celebrated in the honor of the deity Ceres (Goddess of Corn). Their festival commenced on October 4th and it was a custom to first produced fruits, grains and animals to the Goddess. Music, parades and sports extended the glee of the ceremony.

In Brazil
The Brazilian thanksgiving is quite contemporary compared to American thanksgiving. When the Ambassador of Brazil visited U.S. at the invitation of National Cathedral of Washington, D.C., he was enamored by the concept and brought it to his homeland. In southern Brazil, it is a sort of expressing gratitude to Almighty for an enormous harvest. Though acclaimed for its Carnival celebrations they cannot be undermined in other festivities.

In Korea
The celebration falls on 15th of August, which is known as Chu-Sok (meaning "fall evening"). It begins on 14th night and continues for three days. Koreans make a dish called 'Songpyon' unique for that occasion consisting of rice, beans, sesame seeds and chestnuts. Before having the food, the family gathers beneath the moonlight, in remembrance of their ancestors and forefathers. The children dress in long-prescribed dress dancing in circle with an inherent desire of their blessing. "
Around The World Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving Celebrated In Different Countries - Thanksgiving All Over The World

Thanksgiving really is a blending of the New England custom of celebrating after a successful harvest which was based on old English harvest festivals mixed with the Puritan Thanksgiving which was a solemn religious observance that included prayer and feasting.

good to see you agree.... its not a christian thing....

It is in America.

Or at least, it was. If it wasn't, it would just be turkey day.

Bullshit. We just get tired of the same old sad propaganda that insists that Thanksgiving has always been a secular holiday.

And nobody has said that people who don't believe in God can't celebrate Thanksgiving; it's dimwitted to pretend that or to think that just because you imply that it's true. Secularists think they can wave a wand and prevent everyone, everywhere, from ever talking about God, and likewise they can erase and re-scribble history to delete all references to God.

Thanksgiving in the US was specifically created to observe a day of Thanks to GOD for our blessings. Does that mean everybody HAS to give thanks to God? Nope. Has anyone ever SAID that they must? Nope.

ya know.. if you were on about christmas and easter... i would be right there with you defending it as a "christian" holiday.

not this this one. Im pretty tired of the "christians" putting god, their god, into everything and making it their very own.

i think it is dimwitted to call thanksgiving....a harvest festival... a christian thing.

It's called THANKSGIVING because it was a day designated to give thanks to God.

As I've established. Harvest festivals elsewhere may be harvest festivals, but our particular holiday called THANKSGIVING is a day that was originally set aside to give thanks to god.

You want to pretend it never happened, go ahead. It just makes you look foolish.

Harvest festivals everywhere have traditionally been built around giving thanks to various dieties for a successful harvest and imploring them for help with the next.

sounds like both of you have already covered the Pilgrims/Puritans.

what more would need to be said. harvest festival/fine. a day to thank your Higher Power/also fine and good. If you don't wish to participate at all, also fine.

Easter and Christmas---when people--ie Wiccans and Druids, et al were worshipping trees/nature--both of these 'turning points'/seasons were celebrated. Should anyone feel so moved you can read about this and more in the Outlander series, now 7--if not 8 large books. For winter--they roasted boars, tore off huge hunks of meat, legs, iirc, ran around screaming and drinking ale or meade or some sort of a concoction. Women were to remain silent and serve men in all ways. In the spring---more roasted meat--mutton and lamb probably, fish, vegetables and herbs and whatever they preferred to drink --I cannot recall if this detail was included in Gabaldon's thorough research. PhD, environmental science---she was thorough and detailed. British Isles--Scotland and UK and Ireland--that is how they lived.

My family will always say Grace before consuming food. That is what we do. Nobody needs to worry about us. A mind your own business sort of clan. fwiw.

Just wanted to list a few:

"In China
The Chinese celebrate August Moon festival that falls on the 15th day of 8th lunar month of their calendar. Chinese believe that the moon is roundest and brightest on this day. Below the heavenly moonlight, lovers speak out their heart to each other. It is also known as Women Festival. Conventionally women are considered similes to warm and compassionate virtues and have the gift of fertility, just like Mother Earth. Unlike the famous pumpkin pie, the Chinese delicacies consist of moon-cake. Friends and relatives convey their regard to each other by gifting moon cake.

In Rome
The Roman harvest festival known as Cerelia was celebrated in the honor of the deity Ceres (Goddess of Corn). Their festival commenced on October 4th and it was a custom to first produced fruits, grains and animals to the Goddess. Music, parades and sports extended the glee of the ceremony.

In Brazil
The Brazilian thanksgiving is quite contemporary compared to American thanksgiving. When the Ambassador of Brazil visited U.S. at the invitation of National Cathedral of Washington, D.C., he was enamored by the concept and brought it to his homeland. In southern Brazil, it is a sort of expressing gratitude to Almighty for an enormous harvest. Though acclaimed for its Carnival celebrations they cannot be undermined in other festivities.

In Korea
The celebration falls on 15th of August, which is known as Chu-Sok (meaning "fall evening"). It begins on 14th night and continues for three days. Koreans make a dish called 'Songpyon' unique for that occasion consisting of rice, beans, sesame seeds and chestnuts. Before having the food, the family gathers beneath the moonlight, in remembrance of their ancestors and forefathers. The children dress in long-prescribed dress dancing in circle with an inherent desire of their blessing. "
Around The World Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving Celebrated In Different Countries - Thanksgiving All Over The World

Thanksgiving really is a blending of the New England custom of celebrating after a successful harvest which was based on old English harvest festivals mixed with the Puritan Thanksgiving which was a solemn religious observance that included prayer and feasting.

Not sure I understand what you mean when you type:

"christian thing". What is that exactly?

And no Syrenn, I do not agree with your interpretation of my posts on this thread. I thought my posts were quite clear as to my views. It is a mixed day of secular and faith for some.

Last edited:

As I've established. Harvest festivals elsewhere may be harvest festivals, but our particular holiday called THANKSGIVING is a day that was originally set aside to give thanks to god.

You want to pretend it never happened, go ahead. It just makes you look foolish.

Atheists can't be thankful?

Yes, they can.

You people are so pathetic. You claim that if someone states that Thanksgiving was established as a day to give thanks to God, (which of course it was, in the US) that means that nobody except those who give thanks to God can partake.

It's evidence of a serious disconnect between reality and your brain.

Im pretty tired of the "christians" putting god, their god, into everything and making it their very own.

Honestly Syrenn I do not see that happening in my world at least. I do not count what we read or see expressed here as representative of the real world we all live in. Most people I know are either secular or people of faith but the people of faith never force it on others. In my circle we all live in harmony. Truly. Secularists and Christians all sitting down for some yummy food and the warmth of friends and family. Some thank God and some thank Butterball or Mom or their winning football team. lol

Last edited:

Im pretty tired of the "christians" putting god, their god, into everything and making it their very own.

Honestly Syrenn I do not see that happening in my world at least. I do not count what we read or see expressed here as representative of the real world we all live in. Most people I know are either secular or people of faith but the people of faith never force it on others. In my circle we all live in harmony. Truly. Secularists and Christians all sitting down for some yummy food and the warmth of friends and family. Some thank God and some thank Butterball or Mom or their winning football team. lol

She doesn't resent Christians "putting god in" everything...she resents the resistance they have when secularists attempt to remove God from everything.

Recognizing that Thanksgiving was a holiday in our country originally set aside as a day to give Thanks to God is not *forcing* religion on anyone. It is what it is, reciting the facts doesn't force religion on anyone.

right....

who's god?

what god?

some think obama is god...is it about him?

Yes, they can.

You people are so pathetic. You claim that if someone states that Thanksgiving was established as a day to give thanks to God, (which of course it was, in the US) that means that nobody except those who give thanks to God can partake.

Canadians celebrate 'Thanksgiving'.

Canadian Thanksgiving | History | Tradition | Harvest Festival | Thanksgiving Day | Holiday

Good for them?

sounds like both of you have already covered the Pilgrims/Puritans.

what more would need to be said. harvest festival/fine. a day to thank your Higher Power/also fine and good. If you don't wish to participate at all, also fine.

Easter and Christmas---when people--ie Wiccans and Druids, et al were worshipping trees/nature--both of these 'turning points'/seasons were celebrated. Should anyone feel so moved you can read about this and more in the Outlander series, now 7--if not 8 large books. For winter--they roasted boars, tore off huge hunks of meat, legs, iirc, ran around screaming and drinking ale or meade or some sort of a concoction. Women were to remain silent and serve men in all ways. In the spring---more roasted meat--mutton and lamb probably, fish, vegetables and herbs and whatever they preferred to drink --I cannot recall if this detail was included in Gabaldon's thorough research. PhD, environmental science---she was thorough and detailed. British Isles--Scotland and UK and Ireland--that is how they lived.

My family will always say Grace before consuming food. That is what we do. Nobody needs to worry about us. A mind your own business sort of clan. fwiw.

lol... and christmas was also usurped from the pagans.

easter...ill agree.... is all yours.

Alright, enough of this.

Everyone knows that Thanksgiving was set aside to thank the NFL commissioner and owners, Anheuser-Busch, and the Butterball turkey hotline for all they do for the country.

Not sure I understand what you mean when you type:

"christian thing". What is that exactly?

And no Syrenn, I do not agree with your interpretation of my posts on this thread. I thought my posts were quite clear as to my views. It is a mixed day of secular and faith for some.

its either one or the other......

a secular holiday can accommodate both... a fath biased one is a faith based one.

She doesn't resent Christians "putting god in" everything...she resents the resistance they have when secularists attempt to remove God from everything.

Recognizing that Thanksgiving was a holiday in our country originally set aside as a day to give Thanks to God is not *forcing* religion on anyone. It is what it is, reciting the facts doesn't force religion on anyone.

I will let her reply herself to this but I am confused as to why the first Thanksgiving having noted and proven ties to God and the faith of some of the Pilgrims being in play is such an issue for anyone.

I agree!

Yes, they can.

Read the OP

Forum List

Back