Thanksgiving

Last edited:
The three religions of Father Abraham are indeed monotheistic, as are other important religions. But to exclude Hinduism, Confucianism, Buddhaism, and so many other beliefs reveals a narrow understanding of "God", which encompasses a community of all human beings.

so the concept of .... "god" does not mean.... "christian".

Nope. All three major religions believe in one God. Monotheism literally means "the belief in only one God".

fair enough...

but they dont believe in the same god now do they.

That has not changed. The doctrines of all three, Christianity, Islam and Judaism all pretty much agree on the definition of God.

God is a Supreme Being, is omnipotent and omniscient and is the creator and ruler of the universe. All consider God the main object of their faith and worship. All three religions also believe that Moses was a prophet for them.

ppsstt.... the founding fathers weren't "christians" either.....

they were theists and diests.

The U.S. Founding Fathers: Their Religious Beliefs | Britannica Blog

Yep, That's why they felt the need to have Congressional Christian Chaplains.

:lmao:

ya know you really should stop making yourself look like such a fool. Suck it up and admit you are wrong...and got your ass beat in the tread.

I guess that's why the founders voted to have all those theists and deists to be the congressional chaplains
No wait All the Chaplains in the senate have been of the Christian faith
Chaplain of the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets look at the house.
Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nope all of the Christian faith.
Now with all the founders being theists or deists as you have said You would have had at least ONE theists or deists as a Congressional Chaplain in the senate or house.

so the concept of .... "god" does not mean.... "christian".

The concept of God? No, certainly not.

a capital is a sign of respect.... so far... no god and earned a capital G

Actually, it indicates a proper noun, as it refers to one being. Thus, the capitalization. When referring to a pantheon of dieties the word is descriptive but not a proper noun. Sort of like the word 'person' as opposed to a name such as 'Hank.'

Nope. All three major religions believe in one God. Monotheism literally means "the belief in only one God".

fair enough...

That has not changed. The doctrines of all three, Christianity, Islam and Judaism all pretty much agree on the definition of God.

God is a Supreme Being, is omnipotent and omniscient and is the creator and ruler of the universe. All consider God the main object of their faith and worship. All three religions also believe that Moses was a prophet for them.

fine... definition of god....

if all three versions of god go...

then its not a "christian" holiday now is it?

Easter is a christian holiday..... by, for, about, revolving around.... christian what ever.

The concept of God? No, certainly not.

Actually, it indicates a proper noun, as it refers to one being. Thus, the capitalization. When referring to a pantheon of dieties the word is descriptive but not a proper noun. Sort of like the word 'person' as opposed to a name such as 'Hank.'

oh i understand that too...

still needs to earn a capital from me though.

fair enough...

Easter is a christian holiday..... by, for, about, revolving around.... christian what ever.

Again Thanksgiving day was created BY CHRISTIANS to give thanks to God.

Encase you missed this one

ppsstt.... the founding fathers weren't "christians" either.....

they were theists and diests.

The U.S. Founding Fathers: Their Religious Beliefs | Britannica Blog

Yep, That's why they felt the need to have Congressional Christian Chaplains.

ya know you really should stop making yourself look like such a fool. Suck it up and admit you are wrong...and got your ass beat in the tread.

I guess that's why the founders voted to have all those theists and deists to be the congressional chaplains
No wait All the Chaplains in the senate have been of the Christian faith
Chaplain of the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets look at the house.
Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nope all of the Christian faith.
Now with all the founders being theists or deists as you have said You would have had at least ONE theists or deists as a Congressional Chaplain in the senate or house.

fair enough...

I have never called it a Christian holiday. However the first Thanksgiving does have direct ties to the Christian faith. Monotheism is a separate issue from the fact that Christians and their faith were a part of the first Thanksgiving. I am not sure why we veered off in that direction other than to explain to you that all three major religions do in fact worship God, whether you choose to capitalize the word is irrelevant.

I have never called it a Christian holiday. However the first Thanksgiving does have direct ties to the Christian faith. Monotheism is a separate issue from the fact that Christians and their faith were a part of the first Thanksgiving. I am not sure why we veered off in that direction other than to explain to you that all three major religions do in fact worship God, whether you choose to capitalize the word is irrelevant.

good... becasue its not a christian holiday. :clap2:

and if you think about it... christians were not the only ones part of the first thanksgiving..... i am pretty darn sure the Indians could give a fuck about the baby jesus.... and had a nice few gods of their very own.

but take a look at some in the thread.... they sure think it is a christian holiday.

good... becasue its not a christian holiday. :clap2:

and if you think about it... christians were not the only ones part of the first thanksgiving..... i am pretty darn sure the Indians could give a fuck about the baby jesus.... and had a nice few gods of their very own.

but take a look at some in the thread.... they sure think it is a christian holiday.

The Christian roots that were present during the first Thanksgiving are not negated because of the presence of Indians or even non-believers. My faith and my decision to worship does not evaporate around atheists or other faiths. lol

Baby Jesus has nothing to do with the first Thanksgiving Syrenn. :razz:

Some first hand accounting of this time from one who was there.

url]http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/PrimarySources/MourtsRelation.pdf[/url]

Some of the writings from their journals.

Um, there is no need to "earn" the rules of capitalization in English. If you violate those rules in a deliberate attempt to insult, I understand the concept but find it an odd choice considering you don't believe in God. I mean, why bother to insult a being that you don't believe exists?

Um, there is no need to "earn" the rules of capitalization in English. If you violate those rules in a deliberate attempt to insult, I understand the concept but find it an odd choice considering you don't believe in God. I mean, why bother to insult a being that you don't believe exists?

Good point and does beg the question, what's the point?

Like santa claus versus Santa Claus for non-believers. :D

Forum List

Back