Thanksgiving

which is what ive been saying.... it is an American holiday.

do what ever the hell you want and celebrate it however you want..... but it is NOT a "christian" holiday.

It's an American holiday based on and rooted in Christian tradition.

so...its NOT a "christian" holiday. Simple as that.

It is actually a holiday rooted in every culture on earth... christian or not. Harvest festivals have been around longer then the christians. :eusa_shhh:

It is actually a holiday rooted in every culture on earth

Thanksgiving? Not to my knowledge.

"Harvest festival?"

It is an American holiday called Thanksgiving. Some Christians then and now celebrate it and give thanks to God for their bounty and blessings. Some celebrate just because they have the day off and love to eat and cook and be with family. Some celebrate it for both reasons. I would be one of those people. We are after all Americans known for our diversity. It may not be a Christian holiday in the sense of an Archdiocese rendered one but for many Americans we do give thanks to God for our blessings on that day and for many, everyday. Drifting off some from the OP, forgive me.

Last edited:
Hmmm, good question.

What other countries stole land from the original owners,

Every country on Earth - every last one. Why do you ask?

killed them off, forced the onto small bits of arid and dead land and now celebrate it by gorging on garbage they bought at Wal(keep China green)Mart ... ?

What is a concern is that some are so stupid that they actually believe the demagoguery that drones like you spout.

Thanksgiving isn't a "harvest festival", and never has been.

1676 Thanksgiving Proclamation:

""The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst of his judgements he hath remembered mercy, having remembered his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion, and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened, and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them, without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been sensible of, if it be the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed, It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the Lord should take notice under so many Intimations of his returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading him with our Complaints in the time of pressing Afflictions:

"The Council has thought meet to appoint and set apart the 29th day of this instant June, as a day of Solemn Thanksgiving and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favour, many Particulars of which mercy might be Instanced, but we doubt not those who are sensible of God's Afflictions, have been as diligent to espy him returning to us; and that the Lord may behold us as a People offering Praise and thereby glorifying Him; the Council doth commend it to the Respective Ministers, Elders and people of this Jurisdiction; Solemnly and seriously to keep the same Beseeching that being persuaded by the mercies of God we may all, even this whole people offer up our bodies and souls as a living and acceptable Service unto God by Jesus Christ."

Thanksgiving Proclamation

George Washington on Thanksgiving:

"[SIZE=+2]W[/SIZE]hereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation

Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation:

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who
are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last
Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father
who dwelleth in the Heavens."

Thanksgiving Proclamation

so...its NOT a "christian" holiday. Simple as that.

It is actually a holiday rooted in every culture on earth... christian or not. Harvest festivals have been around longer then the christians. :eusa_shhh:

If by "every culture on earth" you mean Puritan Christian culture, then yes.

look, I'm agnostic, but it does me no harm to acknowledge the fact that Thanksgiving, like Christmas and Easter, is based on Christian tradition.

every culture means just that.... every culture. It has nothing to do with religion.

Mayflower Compact 1620

n the name of God, Amen. We whose names are under-written, the loyal subjects of our dread sovereign Lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together into a civil body politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape Cod, the eleventh of November [New Style, November 21], in the year of the reign of our sovereign lord, King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Dom. 1620.

Mayflower Compact

Just for another perspective and insight about the people we are discussing. One of my many field trips growing up. lol

Mayflower Compact 1620

n the name of God, Amen. We whose names are under-written, the loyal subjects of our dread sovereign Lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together into a civil body politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape Cod, the eleventh of November [New Style, November 21], in the year of the reign of our sovereign lord, King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Dom. 1620.

Mayflower Compact

Just for another perspective and insight about the people we are discussing. One of my many field trips growing up. lol

which is irrelevant.

what IS relevant is the effort of the O/P to exclude everyone from thanksgiving who isn't christian.

i think that's pretty messed up, don't you?

Mayflower Compact 1620

Mayflower Compact

which is irrelevant.

what IS relevant is the effort of the O/P to exclude everyone from thanksgiving who isn't christian.

It is not irrelevant based on the direction the thread went. On your point, I would never support anything that excluded non-Christians from Thanksgiving. That is nonsense and absurdity in every sense. The discussion did drift away from the premise of the OP and those were the points and posts that I was following.

What other countries celebrate thanksgiving, btw?

Just wanted to list a few:

"In China
The Chinese celebrate August Moon festival that falls on the 15th day of 8th lunar month of their calendar. Chinese believe that the moon is roundest and brightest on this day. Below the heavenly moonlight, lovers speak out their heart to each other. It is also known as Women Festival. Conventionally women are considered similes to warm and compassionate virtues and have the gift of fertility, just like Mother Earth. Unlike the famous pumpkin pie, the Chinese delicacies consist of moon-cake. Friends and relatives convey their regard to each other by gifting moon cake.

In Rome
The Roman harvest festival known as Cerelia was celebrated in the honor of the deity Ceres (Goddess of Corn). Their festival commenced on October 4th and it was a custom to first produced fruits, grains and animals to the Goddess. Music, parades and sports extended the glee of the ceremony.

In Brazil
The Brazilian thanksgiving is quite contemporary compared to American thanksgiving. When the Ambassador of Brazil visited U.S. at the invitation of National Cathedral of Washington, D.C., he was enamored by the concept and brought it to his homeland. In southern Brazil, it is a sort of expressing gratitude to Almighty for an enormous harvest. Though acclaimed for its Carnival celebrations they cannot be undermined in other festivities.

In Korea
The celebration falls on 15th of August, which is known as Chu-Sok (meaning "fall evening"). It begins on 14th night and continues for three days. Koreans make a dish called 'Songpyon' unique for that occasion consisting of rice, beans, sesame seeds and chestnuts. Before having the food, the family gathers beneath the moonlight, in remembrance of their ancestors and forefathers. The children dress in long-prescribed dress dancing in circle with an inherent desire of their blessing. "
Around The World Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving Celebrated In Different Countries - Thanksgiving All Over The World

I'm pretty sure that not one of those is responsible for the existence of our Thanksgiving holiday.

I'm pretty sure that not one of those is responsible for the existence of our Thanksgiving holiday.

i am pretty sure on many levels... the indians were responsible for the pilgrims thanksgiving.

They would have not have lived if not for the indians....
they would have starved if not for the indians
they would never had had a harvest if not for the indians showing them what to plant and how to plant it.

which is irrelevant.

It is not irrelevant based on the direction the thread went. On your point, I would never support anything that excluded non-Christians from Thanksgiving. That is nonsense and absurdity in every sense. The discussion did drift away from the premise of the OP and those were the points and posts that I was following.

i thought the o/p was pretty clear about his position on the matter. and the reason people like the o/p try to drag G-d into this stuff is to exclude people who don't follow their brand of religion. (I say that as a believer, btw... but not a christian).

in any event. have a great thanksgiving... whatever you believe.

:D

Bullshit. We just get tired of the same old sad propaganda that insists that Thanksgiving has always been a secular holiday.

It hasn't. But continue to try to remove God from everything.

And nobody has said that people who don't believe in God can't celebrate Thanksgiving; it's dimwitted to pretend that or to think that just because you imply that it's true. Secularists think they can wave a wand and prevent everyone, everywhere, from ever talking about God, and likewise they can erase and re-scribble history to delete all references to God.

Thanksgiving in the US was specifically created to observe a day of Thanks to GOD for our blessings. Does that mean everybody HAS to give thanks to God? Nope. Has anyone ever SAID that they must? Nope.

Last edited:
Bullshit. We just get tired of the same old sad propaganda that insists that Thanksgiving has always been a secular holiday.

It hasn't. But continue to try to remove God from everything.

And nobody has said that people who don't believe in God can't celebrate Thanksgiving; it's dimwitted to pretend that or to think that just because you imply that it's true. Secularists think they can wave a wand and prevent everyone, everywhere, from ever talking about God, and likewise they can erase and re-scribble history to delete all references to God.

Thanksgiving in the US was specifically created to observe a day of Thanks to GOD for our blessings. Does that mean everybody HAS to give thanks to God? Nope. Has anyone ever SAID that they must? Nope.

The Indians did not consider it a secular holiday

Only those who are trying to ruin it do

which is irrelevant.

i thought the o/p was pretty clear about his position on the matter. and the reason people like the o/p try to drag G-d into this stuff is to exclude people who don't follow their brand of religion. (I say that as a believer, btw... but not a christian).

in any event. have a great thanksgiving... whatever you believe.

:D

And I did address the OP earlier on in this thread. I then followed the flow of the thread and joined in the discussion others besides the OP were having about TDay.

I have no idea who the OP is or his motivation but I can assure you that no one can, not even an anonymous USMB person can take Thanksgiving away from you or anyone. lol

Wishing you also a Happy Thanksgiving Jillian. Enjoy!

Last edited:
What other countries celebrate thanksgiving, btw?

Just wanted to list a few:

"In China
The Chinese celebrate August Moon festival that falls on the 15th day of 8th lunar month of their calendar. Chinese believe that the moon is roundest and brightest on this day. Below the heavenly moonlight, lovers speak out their heart to each other. It is also known as Women Festival. Conventionally women are considered similes to warm and compassionate virtues and have the gift of fertility, just like Mother Earth. Unlike the famous pumpkin pie, the Chinese delicacies consist of moon-cake. Friends and relatives convey their regard to each other by gifting moon cake.

In Rome
The Roman harvest festival known as Cerelia was celebrated in the honor of the deity Ceres (Goddess of Corn). Their festival commenced on October 4th and it was a custom to first produced fruits, grains and animals to the Goddess. Music, parades and sports extended the glee of the ceremony.

In Brazil
The Brazilian thanksgiving is quite contemporary compared to American thanksgiving. When the Ambassador of Brazil visited U.S. at the invitation of National Cathedral of Washington, D.C., he was enamored by the concept and brought it to his homeland. In southern Brazil, it is a sort of expressing gratitude to Almighty for an enormous harvest. Though acclaimed for its Carnival celebrations they cannot be undermined in other festivities.

In Korea
The celebration falls on 15th of August, which is known as Chu-Sok (meaning "fall evening"). It begins on 14th night and continues for three days. Koreans make a dish called 'Songpyon' unique for that occasion consisting of rice, beans, sesame seeds and chestnuts. Before having the food, the family gathers beneath the moonlight, in remembrance of their ancestors and forefathers. The children dress in long-prescribed dress dancing in circle with an inherent desire of their blessing. "
Around The World Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving Celebrated In Different Countries - Thanksgiving All Over The World

Thanksgiving really is a blending of the New England custom of celebrating after a successful harvest which was based on old English harvest festivals mixed with the Puritan Thanksgiving which was a solemn religious observance that included prayer and feasting.

Forum List

Back