The 1980's Have Called, with a warning.

P.S. You never answered the question. :)

I say intervene. We signed the UN Charter we should act in accordance with it. Let the chips fall where they may.

P.S. And what obligates me to answer your question the way you want me to?

Hopefully your opinion is in the minority. I didn't tell you how to answer the question, I just noted that you didn't answer it. Your solution would at best be a financial burden to our country as well as a diplomatic one.

Hopefully, you're right. However, I couldn't help but noticing something you said.

You say "diplomacy is a burden." I thought you liberals favored diplomacy? The alternative is military action then, is it not?

Employ the "speak softly and carry a big stick" strategy.

Last edited:
In 2012 during a presidential debate with Mitt Romney, Obama seemed to score points when stumping Mitt Romney on what was the bigger threat in the world (seen in the quote below). Mitt Romney contended Russia is the bigger threat to the world than Al-Qaeda. From then on, he was accused of "Cold War thinking." Then, it appeared certain he was wrong. But today, with Vladmir Putin ignoring flaccid warnings from Obama and invading Ukraine and blockading Crimea; it appears Romney words were not only right but eerily prophetic. Both Romney and Palin predicted this, and were brushed off.

"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that al-Qaeda's a threat because a few months ago when you were asked what's the biggest geo-political threat facing America, you said Russia. Not Al-Qaeda; you said, Russia.

And the 1980's are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War has been over for twenty years."

The 1980's are now calling to deliver a warning. Don't let Russia reassert its previous dominance over what was the former Soviet Union.

You're the right age to enlist aren't you?

Yes, and would do so in a heartbeat. Your point?

then do so

talk is cheap and last I heard you needed a job.

It's all fun and games until you don't get to earn an extra life

Reagan armed Islamic terrorists in the 1980s? Was the warning titled "bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States"? Bush Jr. ignored it, or Reagan's cabinet members hid it from him. Either way, fuck Republicans.

How do you want to handle Russia now if Reagan isn't here to sell weapons to al-Qaeda?

Does this drivel come with a decoder ring?

fortunately I speak jive and liberal, but this is blithering idioticicy

but it seems he's blaming russias aggression's in the Ukraine on Reagan

You do realize that Russia is violating the UN Charter by placing troops in Ukraine right?

Article 2 Paragraph 4 for example:

Good, let the UN handle it and use other countries besides our as it's muscle.

Given that we founded the UN, that would be impossible. Remember, we were one of the five original signatories in 1945.

So what, there still are 193 countries that can contribute and enforce such actions. We don't need any of this crap between Russia and Ukraine.

You're the right age to enlist aren't you?

then do so

I tried in High School. That's why I was taking ROTC. But then I developed some behavioral disorders, that after speaking with an Army recruiter, would disqualify me from enlisting.

But hey, just a friendly warning, you would be wise to refrain from lecturing me about my job situation.

Last edited:
Good, let the UN handle it and use other countries besides our as it's muscle.

Given that we founded the UN, that would be impossible. Remember, we were one of the five original signatories in 1945.

So what, there still are 193 countries that can contribute and enforce such actions. We don't need any of this crap between Russia and Ukraine.

So, instead of us intervening, you want other countries to intervene? That statement screams double standard.

Like I just pointed out, given that we signed this pointless UN Charter, we are obligated to act when one of our allies violates the political integrity or sovereign territory of another nation.

Russia is our "ally"? We can act with intelligent diplomacy, we don't need to talk and and use ultimatums that can't be backed up.

If one of your friends suddenly decides to start beating some random stranger on the street, what would you do? Issue ultimatums? Or say "it's none of my business?" Or would you much rather try to stop your friend from causing more injury?

That's a totally unrelated question. Russia is not our friend and Ukraine is not some "random stranger" to Russia. If my friend had a good reason, I'd let him TCB. :)

The two Western powers signed an agreement with Ukraine in 1994, which Kiev's parliament wants enforcing now. The Budapest Memorandum, signed by Bill Clinton, John Major, Boris Yeltsin and Leonid Kuchma – the then-rulers of the USA, UK, Russia and Ukraine – promises to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine, in return for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons.

Ukraine pleads for Britain and US to come to its rescue as Russia accused of 'invasion' - Telegraph

Stupid fucks, this is why we should help.

I say intervene. We signed the UN Charter we should act in accordance with it. Let the chips fall where they may.

P.S. And what obligates me to answer your question the way you want me to?

Hopefully your opinion is in the minority. I didn't tell you how to answer the question, I just noted that you didn't answer it. Your solution would at best be a financial burden to our country as well as a diplomatic one.

Hopefully, you're right. However, I couldn't help but noticing something you said.

You say "diplomacy is a burden." I thought you liberals favored diplomacy? The alternative is military action then, is it not?

I didn't say that "diplomacy is a burden." , I said that "Your solution would at best be a financial burden to our country as well as a diplomatic one.". I prefer diplomacy and a pretty much non-interventionist foreign policy. I think that Iraq was a dumb move and Afghanistan became stupid when they tried to "nation build" there as well. We should have just taken out our enemies and departed.

Russia is our "ally"? We can act with intelligent diplomacy, we don't need to talk and and use ultimatums that can't be backed up.

If one of your friends suddenly decides to start beating some random stranger on the street, what would you do? Issue ultimatums? Or say "it's none of my business?" Or would you much rather try to stop your friend from causing more injury?

That's a totally unrelated question. Russia is not our friend and Ukraine is not some "random stranger" to Russia. If my friend had a good reason, I'd let him TCB. :)

And you were just lecturing me about evading questions? By inviting them to take part in the G-7 conference (now G-8), employing the "securing loose nukes" doctrine, and by admitting them to the UN Security Council, they became our ally, Pheonix.

then do so

I tried in High School. That's why I was taking ROTC. But then I developed some behavioral disorders, that after speaking with an Army recruiter, would disqualify me from enlisting.

But hey, just a friendly warning, you would be wise to refrain from lecturing me about my job situation.

Behavior?

Look, don't call for war if you won't or can't go. You don't know what you are asking people to do.

And never fucking threaten me boy.

So, instead of us intervening, you want other countries to intervene? That statement screams double standard.

I would rather offer a helping diplomatic hand to help settle the situation instead of ultimatums, sanctions, and military action. If the UN wants to get involved and they need to use military force, let them utilize the other member nations instead of Ours. I don't want it to get to that point, so there is no "double standard".

I didn't say that "diplomacy is a burden." , I said that "Your solution would at best be a financial burden to our country as well as a diplomatic one.". I prefer diplomacy and a pretty much non-interventionist foreign policy. I think that Iraq was a dumb move and Afghanistan became stupid when they tried to "nation build" there as well. We should have just taken out our enemies and departed.

So, how is that any different from what I said? You listed two burdens, financial and diplomatic. The fact that you would see diplomacy as a type of burden is surprising.

I prefer a passive aggressive foreign policy. I also believe in keeping agreements. We are a member of the UN, and as such we should act, with or without other countries, to protect and help to preserve the sovereignty of a foreign nation. In the case of Ukraine, I would say scare the Russians off, get out and let Ukraine re-elect their own leaders and representatives nothing more.

The two Western powers signed an agreement with Ukraine in 1994, which Kiev's parliament wants enforcing now. The Budapest Memorandum, signed by Bill Clinton, John Major, Boris Yeltsin and Leonid Kuchma – the then-rulers of the USA, UK, Russia and Ukraine – promises to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine, in return for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons.

Ukraine pleads for Britain and US to come to its rescue as Russia accused of 'invasion' - Telegraph

and we should

by sending in the UN. That is, after all, why we have it.

I would rather offer a helping diplomatic hand to help settle the situation instead of ultimatums, sanctions, and military action. If the UN wants to get involved and they need to use military force, let them utilize the other member nations instead of Ours. I don't want it to get to that point, so there is no "double standard".

There is a double standard when you're willing to allow other countries to expend their resources in intervening, but won't allow the US to do so. If you were truly a non interventionist, you wouldn't want anyone to intervene in the affairs of another sovereign state which is in conflict with another.

It would also be foolish to leave the most powerful nation on earth sitting on the sidelines while the UN utilizes less powerful nations to quell the Ukrainian situation. When diplomacy fails, then what? Pick up your toys and go home?

and we should

by sending in the UN. That is, after all, why we have it.

Nope.

If I am your friend and you are attacked I am stepping in.

That is what friends do.

This Nation has for too long made promises and not kept them, that must stop.

And you were just lecturing me about evading questions? By inviting them to take part in the G-7 conference (now G-8), employing the "securing loose nukes" doctrine, and by admitting them to the UN Security Council, they became our ally, Pheonix.

LOL, just because Russia is part of the G8, does not mean that they are our ally! Is China our ally?
List of military alliances - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2012 during a presidential debate with Mitt Romney, Obama seemed to score points when stumping Mitt Romney on what was the bigger threat in the world (seen in the quote below). Mitt Romney contended Russia is the bigger threat to the world than Al-Qaeda. From then on, he was accused of "Cold War thinking." Then, it appeared certain he was wrong. But today, with Vladmir Putin ignoring flaccid warnings from Obama and invading Ukraine and blockading Crimea; it appears Romney words were not only right but eerily prophetic. Both Romney and Palin predicted this, and were brushed off.

"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that al-Qaeda's a threat because a few months ago when you were asked what's the biggest geo-political threat facing America, you said Russia. Not Al-Qaeda; you said, Russia.

And the 1980's are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War has been over for twenty years."

The 1980's are now calling to deliver a warning. Don't let Russia reassert its previous dominance over what was the former Soviet Union.
The so-called 'Peace Dividend' after the wall fell was spent a bit prematurely.

then do so

Behavior?

Look, don't call for war if you won't or can't go. You don't know what you are asking people to do.

And never fucking threaten me boy.

I'm not threatening anyone. But you need to keep my job situation out of this thread. It's irrelevant.

I can call for war if I want, it's not that I don't want to go, I CAN'T go. The Army wouldn't even look at me. I've applied to the National Guard and inquired about enlisting in the Army. They both won't take me for lack of emotional stability. So, in essence I still do have the right to my opinions about war.

I live in a military family. Many generations before me have fought in a war, from WWI to the Gulf War. I know exactly what kind of sacrifice it entails. Don't think I'm ignorant of what the hells of war entail.

Forum List

Back