Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The 2/3 of the electorate stayed home meme

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
First off it's a lie.

Here's a sampling of voter turn out from some states

November 4 2014 General Election - Voter Turnout

Ohio voter turnout down but close to last time there was no Senate race in a gubernatorial year cleveland.com

Nevada General Election 2014 - Vote Turnout and Statistics

The entire "2/3" stayed home is a lie. It's not supported by actual data.

Liberals make up crap to further their agenda. Like there were three million homeless during Reagan's administration. Or the economy when Clinton was the "worst economy in 50 years."

They make up lies. The stupid buy them, but the intelligent know this game. Liberals lie because the truth never helps their agenda.

But, even at that, it's a red herring to argue voter turnout was down therefore the election was not "legitimate."

Turnout for midterms is always down from general elections

Voter turnout always drops off for midterm elections but why Pew Research Center

But I don't recall liberals claiming the midterm of 2006 wasn't "legitimate" because turnout was down from the 2004 election when turnout had been high.

Mid terms are always lower.

Therefore it's a false meme. If Democrats didn't show up to vote it's because Democrats rejected Democrats as well and decided just not to vote at all.

If that wasn't true, they would have come out to vote.

"An analysis of voter turnout supports Collins' assessment that the Democrats underutilized President Obama. U.S. News, for instance, reported that turnout for the 2014 midterm elections was only 36.5% of registered voters, down significantly from the 40.9% turnout in the 2010 midterm elections, another wave election in which the Tea Party powered a Republican takeover of the House of Representatives."
Democratic Operative This Was Not a Turnout Election... It Was a Wave Election

Cherry picking as opposed to actual hard numbers?

Only about 37% of the electorate turned out to vote in 2014.

Spin until you are dizzy but nothing is going to alter the fact that it was low voter turnout that enabled the GOP to win the Senate coupled with Dem resignations and having to contest seats in red states.

2016 will be the opposite with higher voter turnout and the GOP on the defensive in the Senate.

"An analysis of voter turnout supports Collins' assessment that the Democrats underutilized President Obama. U.S. News, for instance, reported that turnout for the 2014 midterm elections was only 36.5% of registered voters, down significantly from the 40.9% turnout in the 2010 midterm elections, another wave election in which the Tea Party powered a Republican takeover of the House of Representatives."
Democratic Operative This Was Not a Turnout Election... It Was a Wave Election

Look no matter how you libs use the data, Midterms elections always have less turnout than general elections.

I still don't recall any lib saying 2006 wasn't "legitimate" because election turnout was down!

Cherry picking as opposed to actual hard numbers?

Only about 37% of the electorate turned out to vote in 2014.

Spin until you are dizzy but nothing is going to alter the fact that it was low voter turnout that enabled the GOP to win the Senate coupled with Dem resignations and having to contest seats in red states.

2016 will be the opposite with higher voter turnout and the GOP on the defensive in the Senate.

Well, that's what libs said about 2002 and it turned out not to be true.

We shall see. But two years is a long time in politics and I don't see Obama helping the Democrats come 2016.

The voter turnout number is simply a way to deal with the butt-hurt. :( The Dems have only themselves to blame for not turning out.

Remember folks....elections do have consequences.

Dems failed to ask themselves why their base of black and young voters failed to show up. Perhaps it was really a vote not to vote for the party that has made them worse off over the last 6 years.

Look no matter how you libs use the data, Midterms elections always have less turnout than general elections.

I still don't recall any lib saying 2006 wasn't "legitimate" because election turnout was down!
That is all true, but it doesn't challenge the argument that two out of every three eligible voters didn't vote.

Actually YES IT DOES.

If your wonderful Democrats felt they had something to vote for, they would have showed up.

They didn't, which tells me, they aren't any happier with the Democrats as Republicans are.

Well...... roughly 50% of "eligible" voters don't vote in any election. So a few more stayed home this year...BFD.

That is all true, but it doesn't challenge the argument that two out of every three eligible voters didn't vote.

So why couldn't the Dems energize their voters and get them out?

Low voter turnout? Not for the GOP. It's not Republicans freaking fault that you liberals couldn't mobilize your base.

Republicans voted. Tea Party patriots voted and Conservatives voted in droves.

Dems have only themselves to blame if their party faithful didn't want to vote.

I figured out the inherent fallacy of dingbat arguments like this a long time ago. It's a bit like arguing that Obama won by a landslide for garnering 300+ electoral votes.

I don't use vapid reasonigand I don't think others should either. Bush-Gore was fair enough.

So why couldn't the Dems energize their voters and get them out?

That's been my point all along. They were the ones who couldn't mobilize the party faithful.

And making excuses won't help them. They have to look at how they fucked up.

Forum List

Back