Zone1 The "Baby Mama" phenomenon in Black culture. The flip side of 75 percent Fatherless homes.

The Myth Of The Absent Black Father​

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently published new data on the role that American fathers play in parenting their children. Most of the CDC’s previous research on family life — which the agency explores as an important contributor to public health and child development — has focused exclusively on mothers. But the latest data finds that the stereotypical gender imbalance in this area doesn’t hold true, and dads are just as hands-on when it comes to raising their kids.

That includes African-American fathers.

In fact, in its coverage of the study, the Los Angeles Times noted that the results “defy stereotypes about black fatherhood” because the CDC found that black dads are more involved with their kids on a daily basis than dads from other racial groups:

Although black fathers are more likely to live separately from their children — the statistic that’s usually trotted out to prove the parenting “crisis” — many of them remain just as involved in their kids’ lives. Pew estimates that 67 percent of black dads who don’t live with their kids see them at least once a month, compared to 59 percent of white dads and just 32 percent of Hispanic dads.

They're Dragging Out the 'Absent Black Fathers' Myth Again. Can We Give it a Rest?​

As protests fill streets across the United States, some people looking to deny systemic racism are resurfacing a false, pernicious myth—one that places blame for the biggest problems facing the black community on black men. It's the myth that most black dads are absent from their children's lives.

Perhaps most prominently, the focus on allegedly absent black fathers was offered up again this week by the right-wing PragerU in a video by radio host Larry Elder, who did what so many other people who believe this myth do: conflate marriage statistics with fatherlessness. (No hyperlink here; I generally do not link to misleading data.)

In writing my book All In, I looked into a wide range of statistics about fatherhood and explored the methodologies behind them to see whether they were presenting an accurate picture. Unfortunately, all sorts of statistics about fathers that are often cited by people across the political spectrum are false.

When it comes to black dads specifically, most, in fact, live with their children. A CDC study found that about 2.5 million black fathers were living with their children, and about 1.7 million were officially living apart from them.

THE MYTH OF THE MISSING BLACK FATHER.​

Statistics show that close to 70 percent of all births to black mothers are nonmarital, giving rise to the stereotype that black fathers are largely absent. However, while black fathers are less likely than white and Hispanic fathers to marry their child's mother, many black fathers continue to parent through cohabitation and visitation, providing caretaking, financial, and in-kind support.

White racism is a mental disorder.
The denial that you display is EXACTLY why the problems in the poor Black community persist generation after generation. I see a huge problem with NO ONE interested solving the problem.

All you have to do is a simple search of "baby mama" and you will get thousands of links. Here is an objective study out of USC. It most certainly is a real problem and most certainly is a negative for most of the children of baby mamas. If you ignore the problem, the problem gets worse. The Black marriage rate is headed towards 20 percent.

Disbetes, and beligerence, arent high on the list of qualities that make a woman marriage material...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently published new data on the role that American fathers play in parenting their children. Most of the CDC’s previous research on family life — which the agency explores as an important contributor to public health and child development — has focused exclusively on mothers. But the latest data finds that the stereotypical gender imbalance in this area doesn’t hold true, and dads are just as hands-on when it comes to raising their kids.

In fact, in its coverage of the study, the Los Angeles Times noted that the results “defy stereotypes about black fatherhood” because the CDC found that black dads are more involved with their kids on a daily basis than dads from other racial groups:

Although black fathers are more likely to live separately from their children — the statistic that’s usually trotted out to prove the parenting “crisis” — many of them remain just as involved in their kids’ lives. Pew estimates that 67 percent of black dads who don’t live with their kids see them at least once a month, compared to 59 percent of white dads and just 32 percent of Hispanic dads.

They're Dragging Out the 'Absent Black Fathers' Myth Again. Can We Give it a Rest?​

As protests fill streets across the United States, some people looking to deny systemic racism are resurfacing a false, pernicious myth—one that places blame for the biggest problems facing the black community on black men. It's the myth that most black dads are absent from their children's lives.

Perhaps most prominently, the focus on allegedly absent black fathers was offered up again this week by the right-wing PragerU in a video by radio host Larry Elder, who did what so many other people who believe this myth do: conflate marriage statistics with fatherlessness. (No hyperlink here; I generally do not link to misleading data.)

In writing my book All In, I looked into a wide range of statistics about fatherhood and explored the methodologies behind them to see whether they were presenting an accurate picture. Unfortunately, all sorts of statistics about fathers that are often cited by people across the political spectrum are false.

When it comes to black dads specifically, most, in fact, live with their children. A CDC study found that about 2.5 million black fathers were living with their children, and about 1.7 million were officially living apart from them.

Statistics show that close to 70 percent of all births to black mothers are nonmarital, giving rise to the stereotype that black fathers are largely absent. However, while black fathers are less likely than white and Hispanic fathers to marry their child's mother, many black fathers continue to parent through cohabitation and visitation, providing caretaking, financial, and in-kind support.

There is no baby mama culture.

There is no baby mama culture.
6 kids by 3 women is not "baby mama culture" i suppose?

"trump has morals of an alley cat" biden

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
6 kids by 3 women is not "baby mama culture" i suppose?

"trump has morals of an alley cat" biden
Of course it's not baby mama culture. It's being manly. That's the excuse they will use.

The denial that you display is EXACTLY why the problems in the poor Black community persist generation after generation. I see a huge problem with NO ONE interested solving the problem.

Except he just pointed out that it wasn't a problem.

Unmarried does not mean absent.

A black "baby Daddy" is more likely to be involved with his kids than the white guy who ran off with the secretary.

Human relationships are complex, if you ever got involved in one, you'd probably know this.

That is not the subject of this thread. You will get no argument from me that slavery was wrong and many injustices were brought upon African men, women and children. I'm talking about the contemporary issue of Black men having multiple children with multiple women and not supporting them. The term "Baby Mama" refers to this problem, not slave women from two or three hundred years ago.
It's not the subject of this thread, but it is directly related to the subject. You want to make Black men and women look irresponsible toward their children. I'm proving to you that White slavemasters set the precedent for impregnating Black women, and then leaving them and the children. They even made a LAW to cover what they did.

You are b
It's not the subject of this thread, but it is directly related to the subject. You want to make Black men and women look irresponsible toward their children. I'm proving to you that White slavemasters set the precedent for impregnating Black women, and then leaving them and the children. They even made a LAW to cover what they did.
You are blaming the actions of men four hundred years ago for your actions today. Grow up. I’m a bastard, would the fact that my father knocked up my mother then disappeared excuse me if I ran around getting women pregnant and than disappearing like he did? No and unless you feel that way, you are nothing except a hypocrite.

You are b

You are blaming the actions of men four hundred years ago for your actions today. Grow up. I’m a bastard, would the fact that my father knocked up my mother then disappeared excuse me if I ran around getting women pregnant and than disappearing like he did? No and unless you feel that way, you are nothing except a hypocrite.
"I'm a bastard". Thank you for being so honest.

Negroes are not the way they are because of what happened to them three hundred years ago, but because of what never happened to them. The process of human evolution has not prepared most of them for the requirements of civilization. Characteristics that enabled their ancestors to thrive in the jungles of sub Saharan Africa cause many to earn felony convictions in civilized countries. Considered collectively, the Negro race represents an earlier stage of human evolution.

Not this early,

homoerectus.jpg

but too early for most of them to adjust well to the requ irements of civilization.

Negroes are not the way they are because of what happened to them three hundred years ago, but because of what never happened to them. The process of human evolution has not prepared most of them for the requirements of civilization. Characteristics that enabled their ancestors to thrive in the jungles of sub Saharan Africa cause many to earn felony convictions in civilized countries. Considered collectively, the Negro race represents an earlier stage of human evolution.

Not this early,

View attachment 973769

but too early for most of them to adjust well to the requ irements of civilizatio
Is that you?

Forum List

Back