The benefits of complete medical coverage

deltex1

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2012
Near the Alamo
As a retired military officer I have tricare for life...which means I can go anywhere for treatment...Medicare pays and tricare covers the rest. So I call my primary care doctor to inquire why they have not forwarded my eye exam referral to BAMC for a second opinion on cataract surgery. I dropped the referral there on 13 May. After five minutes of the Tower of Babel conversation I have come to expect, I agreed to fax them a copy with assurances this time they would succeed in this most difficult of tasks.

Tricare has been a pain in the ass for me forever. The latest round started last year when I got a notice in the mail that I was being disenrolled from Tricare Prime because I did not live close enough to a Military Treatment Facility. That's a strange thing to say since I live not far from a VA hospital. But apparently VA hospitals don't count as MTFs!

I have a family member with serious medical issues and our medical bills jumped by 1000 percent after being forced onto Tricare Standard.

I have since jumped through a bunch of hoops to get re-enrolled back into Tricare Prime.

It is total bullshit that some retired vets get Tricare Prime while others do not simply because of their geographical location!

It's all too befuddling...but I guess my point is that your screwed no matter where you go...my primary care dude is civilian private practice...but how do you escape the human "I don't give a shit " factor?

As a retired military officer I have tricare for life...which means I can go anywhere for treatment...Medicare pays and tricare covers the rest. So I call my primary care doctor to inquire why they have not forwarded my eye exam referral to BAMC for a second opinion on cataract surgery. I dropped the referral there on 13 May. After five minutes of the Tower of Babel conversation I have come to expect, I agreed to fax them a copy with assurances this time they would succeed in this most difficult of tasks.

Lol, the tower of babel reference.

It's all too befuddling...but I guess my point is that your screwed no matter where you go...my primary care dude is civilian private practice...but how do you escape the human "I don't give a shit " factor?

I have grown accustomed to it. My family member's illness is such that I have been dealing with the bureaucratic shit for years and years. You get used to it, and eventually learn how to anticipate, adapt, and overcome.

The biggest problem is that our primary care facilty has had an astonishing turnover rate ever since the doc who had been there for centuries retired. We've had some real quacks of every variety roll through that place since then.

Last edited:

So as a member of Tricare.. you have health insurance right?
Let's see...
First let's see what you believe...
Do you believe there are as Obama has said.."I don’t have to explain to you that nearly 46 million Americans don’t have health insurance coverage today. "
If you do please explain the following as a Tricare member?

301,219,252 insured people covered under the above.

Health Insurance Coverage of the Total Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
That leaves 8,978,248 UNINSURED.....
Included in that 8,978,248 "uninsured" are:

1) 10 million counted as uninsured were NOT Citizens. So that leaves 36 million...
2) 14 million counted as uninsured BUT at their poverty level QUALIFIED FOR MEDICAID BEFORE ACA was passed. Negligence on the administration!
3) 18 million counted as uninsured that are under 34 years make over $50,000 but decline employers' health plans... WHY are they counted?

So what is the problem???

Now do you still believe there are 46 million uninsured Americans ???

Let's see...
Do you believe there are as Obama has said.."I don’t have to explain to you that nearly 46 million Americans don’t have health insurance coverage today. "

Health Insurance Coverage of the Total Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

1) 10 million counted as uninsured were NOT Citizens. So that leaves 36 million...
2) 14 million counted as uninsured BUT at their poverty level QUALIFIED FOR MEDICAID BEFORE ACA was passed. Negligence on the administration!
3) 18 million counted as uninsured that are under 34 years make over $50,000 but decline employers' health plans... WHY are they counted?

If you're talking to me, I have no problem with your stats...anything coming from Obabble turns out to be bullshit. The only point I was trying to make is that even if you have a platinum plan, you are subject to stupidity, indifference, misdiagnosis, infection and possible termination. Have a great day!

Let's see...

If you're talking to me, I have no problem with your stats...anything coming from Obabble turns out to be bullshit. The only point I was trying to make is that even if you have a platinum plan, you are subject to stupidity, indifference, misdiagnosis, infection and possible termination. Have a great day!

I wasn't sure as the title sounded pro-Obamacare.

In any event, the statistics are true.
And if you are in any dialogue with idiots that come up with "well we have to help the 46 million uninsured"... please ask them if they are aware that
10 million counted are not citizens.
That 14 million all the ineffective Medicaid program need do is registered.. all before ACA!
And finally 18 million don't WANT or need health insurance.
So when the final calculation is made less then 4 million is what should have been addressed and done very simply!
Create the Uninsured Health Insurance Co. © a for profit lowest bid winner that ALL providers would send claims to for supposedly "uninsured".
The premiums would come from taxing lawyers 10% JUST AS ACA is taxing tanning salons because 90% of doctors blame "FEAR of Lawsuits for
their submitting $850 billion a year to insurance companies claims for duplicate tests,etc...

Those two factors would reduce THREE cost drivers:
1) hospitals padding and passing on due to EMTALA!
2) doctors reducing duplicate testing reducing the $850 billion...
3) insurance premiums would drop because of a drop in the $850 billion defensive medicine costs!

Forum List

Back