The best gun for home defense

M1A2_Tank_in_my_driveway_by_todd587.jpg

Good luck jokers and congrats to dirty tricksters. Let's hope you can call 911 in time and you don't kill the LOL down the block with your video game fantasies.

The best gun for home defense is one you are comfortable with and proficient with!
My .357 goes with me when I drive. The .22 I carry when outside working (acreage). The 9mm is in the house & handy at all times...if not, there is a long gun handy any place in the house!

I'd like something that vaporizes the unwanted guest completely so there's no bloody (or legal) mess to clean up afterwards.

The best is whatever suits you best...or whatever shoots for you best. I have several:

Taurus Judge (poly frame) .45 cal/.410 ga 2.5 inch

Bond Arms Snake Slayer II .45 cal/.410 ga 3 inch

Ruger New Vaquero .45 cal

Smith & Wesson M&P40 .40 cal

Henry Mare's Leg .45 cal

I practice with each...never can tell which one I'll be closest to when a need comes along. I have a friend getting me a thousand rounds of ammo next week.:eek:

I'd like something that vaporizes the unwanted guest completely so there's no bloody (or legal) mess to clean up afterwards.

The best is whatever suits you best...or whatever shoots for you best. I have several:

Taurus Judge (poly frame) .45 cal/.410 ga 2.5 inch

Bond Arms Snake Slayer II .45 cal/.410 ga 3 inch

Ruger New Vaquero .45 cal

Smith & Wesson M&P40 .40 cal

Henry Mare's Leg .45 cal

I practice with each...never can tell which one I'll be closest to when a need comes along. I have a friend getting me a thousand rounds of ammo next week.:eek:

The best gun for home defense is no gun.

Statistics show that gun-owners are 3.5 times more likely to die of gun shot wounds than non gun-owners.

The Tauris Judge is the most innovative handgun in 150 years. Probably the best all around home defense weapon.

I have other pistols available, but 90% of the time I choose a 22lr 9 shot revolver.

I know, it's not sexy, and it won't take down a water buffalo, but I can make a pretty good case for my choice.

1) I practice with it...a lot. Ammunition is cheap and I have plenty of it and it's fun. This is key.

2) Reduced likelihood of over penetration...I live in town, I don't want to shoot my own family or the neighbors with rounds that easily penetrate walls. Chance are very good that no 22LR bullets will leave the house.

3) Time on target...With a 22LR, the limited recoil allows multiple on target shots in minimum time.

First of all the term "home defense" is pretty broad. Let's say a person is qualified and wants a weapon to defend his family against the crazy who might come knocking on his door at 3 AM. A shotgun would be intimidating enough but it is unwieldy and hard to get to in an emergency. A handgun seems to be ideal for late night emergencies but I personally favor a wheel gun (revolver). You don't need to check a safety or feed a magazine or see if there is one in the chamber. The Tauris "judge" revolver is ideal. A revolver that can shoot a .45 or a 410 shotgun shell.

Sweet.

Taurus-Judge-Public-Defender-Polymer-Revolver.jpg

I have other pistols available, but 90% of the time I choose a 22lr 9 shot revolver.

I know, it's not sexy, and it won't take down a water buffalo, but I can make a pretty good case for my choice.

1) I practice with it...a lot. Ammunition is cheap and I have plenty of it and it's fun. This is key.

2) Reduced likelihood of over penetration...I live in town, I don't want to shoot my own family or the neighbors with rounds that easily penetrate walls. Chance are very good that no 22LR bullets will leave the house.

3) Time on target...With a 22LR, the limited recoil allows multiple on target shots in minimum time.

You gotta go with what you can afford. I bought a basket case H&R 9-22 for $35 literally in a cigar box in pieces that someone had taken apart. I could see immediately that the important stuff was there, Frame/barrel, cylinder, hammer and grips. All it needed was the plate the mainspring rests on and I made one. It's in my toolbox in the workshop for protection against rabid things. It shoots good and intimidates coyotes when they come howling around. They say a .38 special is underpowered but i'd rather have it than a puny .22 against two legged coyotes.

You gotta go with what you can afford. I bought a basket case H&R 9-22 for $35 literally in a cigar box in pieces that someone had taken apart. I could see immediately that the important stuff was there, Frame/barrel, cylinder, hammer and grips. All it needed was the plate the mainspring rests on and I made one. It's in my toolbox in the workshop for protection against rabid things. It shoots good and intimidates coyotes when they come howling around. They say a .38 special is underpowered but i'd rather have it than a puny .22 against two legged coyotes.

Fatalities-900x654.jpg

The graph is pretty clear on this: .22 caliber firearms are just as deadly in a gunfight as any other handgun caliber. In fact, it beat the average (far right). Surprisingly, every caliber that begins with a 4 (.40 S&W, .45, .44 Mag…) performed worse than the .22 caliber firearms in terms of putting the opponent in the dirt for good.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-22l-for-self-defense/

Last edited:
A gunfight? Who in their right mind would compare a .25 auto with a .45? You can't even punch through a heavy winter coat with a .25.

A gunfight? Who in their right mind would compare a .25 auto with a .45? You can't even punch through a heavy winter coat with a .25.

Because lethal force/self defense encounters usually occur at distances of less than 13 feet.

You don't need a hand cannon at that range.

Because lethal force/self defense encounters usually occur at distances of less than 13 feet.

Have it your way.

I have a standing challenge for any of the hand cannon crowd to stand ten feet downrange while I shoot them center mass with my "ineffective" short 9 rounds or a 22 mag. For some reason none have taken me up on it. :dunno:

Have it your way.

I have a standing challenge for any of the hand cannon crowd to stand ten feet downrange while I shoot them center mass with my "ineffective" short 9 rounds or a 22 mag. For some reason none have taken me up on it. :dunno:

.22 mag is pretty potent. .25 ain't.

Forum List

Back