The Bravery in WWII, Cowardice After...

"... he used the fear of the American people to help them lose some good judgement."

I'll make an OP explaining how the press/propaganda produced folks like you....

But...at that time, lots of Americans caught on....and McCarthy was more popular than the pro-Soviets.

"During the 1950s, the Gallup Organization responded to new issues and personalities as they related to the ongoing superpower struggle. Joseph McCarthy entered the public opinion polls for the first time, and won initial approval. Fifty percent agreed with McCarthy in a March 1950 survey that there were communists working in the State Department.

Note 45 A June 1950 poll found 45 percent expressed unqualified approval of McCarthy saying "he is anxious to rid us of communists and he is right"; 16 percent expressed qualified approval with remarks such as "there must be some foundation for his charges, but they are greatly exaggerated"; 31 percent disbelieved McCarthy saying he is "a rabble-rouser seeking personal glory who is trying to get reelected"; 8 percent were unsure what to make of McCarthy. "
Cold War International History Conference: Paper by John White

"McCarthy frightened an entire nation,..."

Au contraire.....these guys enlightened the nation:
... the former communists who spilled the beans: Whittaker Chambers, Elizabeth Bentley, Arthur Koestler, Jan Valtin (Richard Krebs), Victor Krvchenko,...

Bet you haven't read any of 'em.
Ignorance is pretty much the mark of the reliable Democrat voter, huh?
And....reggie, they want to keep it that way.

Those public opinion figures from the 1950's may be a little dated now. McCarthy quickly became even more of a joke after the Senate censured him, and today McCarthyism is a word for exploiting a nation's fears.
Do I believe the USSR had spies in America, of course, I also believe America had spies in the USSR. Nations have spies. Do I believe Russia has spies in America today, again of course, and maybe we have spies in Russia? Maybe our spies are a little better at what they do.

Tell me....what would our purpose have been in having spies in the USSR?
To steal back the atomic bomb secrets?

And....since any anti-Soviet news was censored....why would we need spies?

The spying was the least of it.

Planting the seeds of postmodernism, of moral equivalence was the worst part, because it resulted in thoughts like "Do I believe the USSR had spies in America, of course, I also believe America had spies in the USSR. Nations have spies.."

That's why folks like you were incensed when President Reagan correctly labeled the 'evil empire.'

So that's how our spies did their job, they read anti-Soviet news stories for their information and if the news was censored they couldn't spy.
Where did Reagan come from? Are you claiming Reagan was a spy in real life or just in the movies?

Those public opinion figures from the 1950's may be a little dated now. McCarthy quickly became even more of a joke after the Senate censured him, and today McCarthyism is a word for exploiting a nation's fears.
Do I believe the USSR had spies in America, of course, I also believe America had spies in the USSR. Nations have spies. Do I believe Russia has spies in America today, again of course, and maybe we have spies in Russia? Maybe our spies are a little better at what they do.

Planting the seeds of postmodernism, of moral equivalence was the worst part, because it resulted in thoughts like "Do I believe the USSR had spies in America, of course, I also believe America had spies in the USSR. Nations have spies.."

That's why folks like you were incensed when President Reagan correctly labeled the 'evil empire.'

So that's how our spies did their job, they read anti-Soviet news stories for their information and if the news was censored they couldn't spy.
Where did Reagan come from? Are you claiming Reagan was a spy in real life or just in the movies?

You must mean American spies like Walter Duranty, and Joseph Davies and 'the red general,' Philip Faymonville......

There is hardly a better example of vincible ignorance than your post.

You must mean American spies like Walter Duranty, and Joseph Davies and 'the red general,' Philip Faymonville......

I think the best example of ignorance is that spies did their job by reading anti-Soviet articles in the newspaper and if the newspapers were censored, they could not spy.
My work here is done.

I think the best example of ignorance is that spies did their job by reading anti-Soviet articles in the newspaper and if the newspapers were censored, they could not spy.
My work here is done.

I recall a previous thread of your about the press, one that inspired this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/media/309752-the-press-a-turn-in-the-wrong-direction.html#post7740627

My work here is done.

Check this out...Liberals and Joe McCarthy....too funny....

Even after all this time and all the proof that JM was right, the left continues to demonize him. Is it any wonder much of the American public is completely ignorant of the truth on so many issues, when we have a media that continually spouts lies and distortions.

Karen Finney Hangs Up on Conservative Radio Host in Explosive Debate: NOT DOING THIS GAME WITH YOU!' - YouTube

HUGH HEWITT: Pleased to welcome for the first time, and I hope she comes back often, Karen Finney, long time voice of the Democratic National Committee, now the host of a weekend show on MSNBC, Disrupt With Karen Finney. Karen, welcome, good to have you on, thank you for coming.

KAREN FINNEY, MSNBC HOST: Thanks so much. Thanks for having me on.

HH: Now I caught some of your show this weekend. I want to play the intro to your segment about Ted Cruz.

KF: In case you haven’t heard, Texas Senator Ted Cruz is a man on a mission. He wants to take away your health care, even if that means bringing down our government, or a war within the GOP. But Cruz’ rhetoric isn’t just detrimental to his party. It’s contributing to a broader environment of paranoia that could have very real consequences for our democracy. The fear stoking is reminiscent of another Senator, a man from Wisconsin on his own mission. He also wanted to take his country back. Then, it was from the Communists who had supposedly infiltrated it. His name, of course? Joe McCarthy. And while Cruz’ mission this time around might be different, the rhetoric sounds eerily the same.

HH: Now Karen Finney, a couple of questions.

KF: Sure.

HH: Number one, when you said about Joe McCarthy he wanted to take it back from the Communists who had supposedly infiltrated, did any Communists infiltrate the United States government?

KF: Well, I think if we go back to the McCarthy hearings, it’s pretty clear that he A) created, you know, a culture of paranoia and fear that people later recognized was, you know, people sort of bought into it, and then recognized that it was absolutely misplace. I mean, that’s the point.

HH: But Karen, did any Communists infiltrate our government?

KF: Please, go ahead and name them.

HH: Well, can you name them? I’m trying to figure out if you know if any of them did?

KF: Here’s the point. No, there weren’t Communists who infiltrated our government. I mean, that’s like Michele Bachmann accusing my friend, Huma Abedin, of actually being Muslim Brotherhood, because…

HH: No, actually, it’s not.

KF: …she may have known somebody.

HH: No, it’s not. No, this is just a historical question. Was Alger Hiss a Communist?
MSNBC'S Karen Finney Hangs Up On Hugh Hewitt After Grilled About Alger Hiss Comparison | RealClearPolitics

Last edited:

Forum List

Back